Optimus Prime Massive 9 Foot Build

Zedscience

I'm new to therpf as a poster and I'm hoping to contribute as for the last five years I was just stealing peoples ideas and getting tips on how not to suck.
I poured tons of time into a 9 foot Groot Cosplay, My Starlord build (which my son wears now), a Rocket Raccoon build (which my youngest son wears) and other Guardians stuff, and it's gotten about as good as I can make it. I'm pretty proud of how well it shaped up and I even got invited to be a "cosplay" guest at the Calgary Winter Expo. I couldn't have done it without lurking about on theRPF and getting tips from other Groot builds...so thank you.

groot 1.jpggroot christmas.jpg

So...now it's on to the next build for my family- a 9 Foot Optimus Prime!

Last edited:
Using the awesome pep files I found on some defunct website here
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/172dDqP7C7i9WPfV8VqDS4ny8xOhx1KSi?usp=sharing

It's scaled for a freaking monster, 9 foot fall cosplay.

Pictures of the Work in Progress.

- - - Updated - - -

I printed the pep files, taped them together and then cut them out of foam.

Here are a couple pictures of the work in progress.
https://www.facebook.com/jason.zack...10155416048578821.1073741876.578913820&type=3

I'll keep adding to the facebook album as it builds. Sorry I don't have time to upload image by image. Can't figure it out on my freaking phone.
Shoot me a message if you have any questions!

head 1.jpg
head and chest.jpg
head chest and stacks.jpg-PAXP-deijE.gif
head chest and groin.jpg
wearing half built assembly.jpg
full assembly rough built.jpg
Here is the pictures! Figured it out! The rough build is done, but I need to make the boots more stable and get some suspenders for the groin assembly. It topped out at 8'10

- - - Updated - - -

Some of the biggest issues I thought would be an issue but have not were:
1. Modding it to fit my stilts.
2. Putting it on on the stilts without falling over and killing my damn self.
3. Sweating and dying inside.

Issues were
1. The thigh and groin assembly crushing the boots- you can see in the last pic they can't take the weight.
2. Some how getting into the shoulder pieces and have range of motion!!!
3. Having tiny arms. It looks a little silly for how big it is with teeny tiny arms. I might have to make them bigger and rig up fake fists. That will be heavy and annoying....and won't be able to wave at kids. :-(
4. I have to recenter the left side of the helmet as it isn't quite square. All in all, its coming along!

I have big plans for the painting and modding, but I'm glad I'm taking the time to make sure that it fits fine, I can walk in it, it can get on easily and it holds up. No sense in rushing to do the awesome polishing steps- like sanding/bonding/ paining.
It will have a windshield, and wheels....I'm going to build his G1 blaster and the giant axe hand. If I can reach the chest, I can make the chest open with the Autobot Leadership Matrix inside...plus with some dry ice and water I can make fog come out of the smoke stacks...cooling me at the same time. It will be epic...but one step at a time!

It's looking good so far,but be mindful of your dimensions,as you said about the arms.
From what I can tell from the pictures,either the head looks too big or the chest (and arms like you mentioned) are too small.
Other than that: Keep up the good work

Yeah, the arms may be a problem. The helmet has to fit my head, so it will be on the big side no matter what. I scaled the whole costume accordingly using software, but I had to cut the arms down to get them to fit with the gloves....but the arm bracers may be too small. It might be something in the future I will fix...or if I have time, I'll fix anyway.
I'm resigned to the fact that the head will be a tad big. I think the Groin Assembly is too big...it's got giant pieces on the hips which now I'm realizing are meant to be the wheels. I can cut those off to make the chest look smaller.

Me too! I used foam and hot glue, so before the painting, I need to dremel the edges so they are smooth on every piece, then I have to use bondo to fill in the cracks, that way when I paint it, you can't see the seams. Also, I'm in Alberta Canada and it's so damn cold I'm not painting until March. :)

Update, I've entered the slow stage of the costume, and that's using bondo to seal and smooth the creases where the foam attaches. Perhaps there is a faster way to do this, but this is all I know. I have seen people 3-D print costumes, but even then bondo is required. Also, less bondo would be needed if I knew exactly how to cut the foam to fit my body and my head, but as I was using a pep file, I kinda had to build it and mod as we go.

Anyway, pro tip, use eye protecting and mask when sanding bondo. That's stuff's not good for your lungs.

Lastly, I think I have a work around for the short arms. I've attached the gloves to lightweight doweling which will extend them to the proper size. I can also do this with the giant axe blade I'm slowly piecing together. That way the hands are interchangeable like the toy.

Here are the rough bondo pics. If I have time today I'll sand more (always sanding) and then apply a final coat of bondo.helment rough bondo 3 adding designs.jpg
helment rough bondo 2.jpg
helment rough bondo 1.jpg
This stage is so slow and if I'm going to do it right, it gotta be smooths as silk so the imperfections don't show up when I paint.

Did a coat of paint and I'm super happy with how it looks. I think the paint allowed me to see some of the imperfections, so I may not be done the bondo yet! Ha! Thanks George! I read up on that and if I have huge gaps I'm using Silicon! Noice!

painted helmet.jpg

Okay, so I'm going to 3-d print some stuff. Namely the Autobot logo which goes on the Left Shoulder. It's gotta be huge and I want it to stand out-so going with the exact angles the 3-d printer can make is good bet. I think I'll use my metallic paste paint to really make it shine!3-d print the log.jpg

I had some free time tonight so what got done?
Well, had I time to do this again, I would have taken more time on the helmet applying the bondo in thinner layers and sanding the hell out of it. I guess my impatience got the better of me. Up close you can for sure see the imperfections of the helmet, but from a couple steps away it looks like a million bucks. The torso is coming along great.
The 3-d print also turned out awesome!

So- doing it again (or if I was a professional) take more time on the curvy helmet parts. I can always strip the paint later and redo the bondo to make the helmet look better when I have more time.
The torso is really coming along and the 3-D autobot sign will look great. I printed it in black, so the edges will be black, the underlay I've spraypainted white, and then the top of it will be red. Awesome sauce.autobot symbol black.jpg
torso and head.jpg

Progress Pics. I'm using Pastidip to seal. It's expensive and I'm not super happy that it bubbles.
Pro-tip- plastidip may not be for your cosplay if you want a super smooth finish.
After coating, I've gone back and smoothed it with a sponge. However, I can't deny that it helps seal in the small imperfections I missed with bondo. The Autobot symbol turned out awesome.
autobot sign.jpg
1:2 painted.jpg

Last edited:
Nearing the end of the torso paint. I’ve started the groin and legs and I’m sure happy with how they are turning out. I like the smoothness and details of the groin and thighs. That’s all for today. It’s too cold.
rough torso 1.jpg

rough torso 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pro tip, I found cheap acrylic panels for the chest (windows) and the eyes at Lowes. I think I'll cut them on the big side and then attach them with velco so I can take them out easily, instead of making them permanent.

Update: I've done the eyes, but I'm not super happy with them. Re-checking the G1 cartoon, OP eyes are actually a diamond shape, so I'm going to redo them. I used a metallic car spray for the body and, man does it make a difference. It makes the foam take on a metal shine. Thanks to randoms on this site that I've stalked for tips! I've started his massive blaster, and I'm extending the arm pieces, then installing wooden doweling into the gloves, so I can operate the hands and it stops the costume from looking like a T-Rex. I'd say I'm at the 50% point.
torso paint.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back