Optimus Prime Massive 9 Foot Build

It's added! Sorry! I threw the rifle pdo in there, I'm building it from scale, so I don't have the cut out one. If I find a better file, I'll upload it.
Also, my plan is to make a Transformer Costume for each of my family members- Soundwave, Bumblebee and Megatron (all G1), so I'll upload those to a separate folder when I have a chance.

Also, I'm extending the arms and building the rifle right now- so I won't be putting new pics up for a week at least. It's also so cold in Canada right now that's it a pain to spray paint, so I'm waiting on that. The rifle looks really good, but I don't want to put pics up until it's dremelled and bondo'd. (words?)

Pictures of the Rifle should be up tomorrow. I've finished extending the arms- but again, they look pretty rough just as foam...so once they are bondo'd and sanded I'll snap a few shots.
The Rifle turned out really good- not 3-D print good but really good.

Goal for the gun is: gun goal.jpg

My Gun: Paint Draft without Detailing and the doooodad at the bottom:
gun 1.jpg
Not bad? I think so. Could have gone slower I guess!

Not much progress in pics. It's be super cold and I've been busy. I'm nearly done detailing the main body chassis, I've bonded one of the extended arms and I've painted (two coats) the Prime Hands. The hands actually look really good, of course, not 3-D printed good, but not bad. :)
They were built on Welding Gloves, and the fingers were extended, so they are probably 3-4 times the size of a human hand at least.

prime mega hands.jpg

Big Update! Extending the arms was a super smart choice!
Without wearing the legs it looks pretty silly
. donkeykongprime.jpg
Kind look like Donkey Kong, eh?

- - - Updated - - -

However, adding the stilt legs (and I'm not done the boots yet), make it look totally proportional. The only issue is that I'm going to need my wife to help me get it on, as I can't get it on yet myself.
doesthismakemelookbuff.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

(Also it makes me look like a robot bodybuilder. Nice!

Finally with the helmet, it's really coming along.
withhelmet.jpg

2 Issues as I go forward I need to fix.
1. The Thigh Pieces need to be connected to knee pads or something, so they ride with my legs as I walk. Just having them sit on the boots was a nice idea, but they twist and it looks like crap.
2. I still am not super happy with the eyes. They look like old school muppet eyes. Also my vision is ****ty and since I'm up so high, I don't have the ability to look below, so if kids come too close, that's it, I can't see them. So I am toying with the idea of just making the whole visor slit eyes, just to help with vision. It's not G1 accurate I know, but for safety and vision it might be something I will have to sacrifice.

Non-Issues:
It goes on super good. Probably easier than my Groot suit, and most of the connections are hidden in the back, which if I have time, I will use foam panels to hide.
The arms I extended and you can't see it, but I should post a pic, I ran wooden doweling through the arm bracers back to where my forearms are, so I can use my forearms to take the weight of the arms and gloves....super important for when I attach the big ass blaster I made to his right arm.
Also, there is plenty of room inside to hide batteries, fans and speakers for the final parts.

So far so good. It's 75% done. Finish the boots and then it's fine tuning it so I can walk for a couple hours in it without it falling apart or me falling. :)
Transform and Roll Out!

I wasn't super happy with the eyes- in fact I thought they looked pretty silly, so I went back and redid parts of the face with more details, care and bondo.....and the result was pretty good. Not only can I see out of the mask really really good, it looks way better and much more G1.
helmet.jpg

Tons of work accomplished in the last two weeks. Here is the near finished product...probably at 90%. I have to fix the thigh pieces which ride too far forward and slant down, but aside from that, the rest of the costume works really good and the improved helmet makes it look way better!
Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 7.39.33 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-23 at 7.39.11 AM.png

- - - Updated - - -

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 7.39.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 7.39.07 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 222
Nearing the end! - Well of the basic build. I'm having a hell of a time making nice tires out of foam so I'm just going to 3-D print them. I've installed lights into the big gun and into the eyes. I'm not super happy with the blue plastic I put in the eyes, so I will redo them at some point.
gun glows.jpg
eyesglow.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back