Lego Millennium Falcon....How?!

Not because it is a very accurate way to represent the item, but because they admire how well it was represented in plastic blocks. Lego have their own distinct look.

Here is a great answer!

I love Lego sets and love to build and display them. Large builds are a great engineering feat and take up a chunk of time to finish AND are enjoyable to complete as well. If you don't like the look of Lego step that's fine but it is not really fair to disparage people that do. I would rather look at my Star Wars lego ships over any model any day of the week.

As far as pricing, comparing 350 to 800 is not really a realistic comparison. Very few people will be able to do a really good job painting it. Once painted by a professional it seems the price gets up into the 1k+ range for the bandai kit.

I know I'm late to the game and new here, but I figured I'd drag out an old post. The intricacies of how this kit is put together are amazing and very well thought out, so it's not just a bunch of filler and pieces on top to make it look like the ship. My son and I are having a blast putting it together.

lego.jpg

Here's another angle on this topic.

"What's wrong with these guys? They pay $350 or more for this thing. I know it looks a whole lot like the Millennium Falcon did in the movie, but still."
"And I heard there's another one out there that people are snapping up at about $1500! It's bigger, yeah. And sorta a little more accurate, yeah. (And if you prefer the look of the ESB ship over the ANH ship, I guess.) But $1500 and it doesn't even really fly."
"Yeah, and you know how much work it would take to put in engines, servos, and, still, it WILL NEVER FLY!"

This is how our beloved models might be spoken about at an R/C forum. We are all just looking for a different type of product and we shouldn't be getting too concerned about what people in other hobbies pay for their stuff. It's like (before Bandai, etc.), "Hey, do they make a really big MF? I'm building a diorama." "I think LEGO has one. Check it out."
Mike Todd

One more thing not mentioned yet is this:

My nephew has been a HUGE Star Wars fan from the first time he was exposed to it. And what was he exposed to, when he was about 5 or 6 years old? A Star Wars Lego videogame.

You have no idea just how popular those games were and are. in fact, they have been instrumental in saving Lego from the abyss, as Lego was struggling at the time, and these games sold like crack, pouring some much needed funds back into the company.

And until my sister decided he was old enough, and I was allowed to introduce him to the actual movies (I did it episode 1 to 6; a mistake I will not repeat with my own daughter...), Star wars Lego was all he could talk about.

He owned loads of Star Wars Lego, from smaller kits to respectably large minifig scaled B-Wing and X-Wing. Basically, it was his world.

Now, he was fairly young at the time (almost 10 years ago), but there were plenty of people playing those video games back then, who are now of an age and in the position to go out and actually buy a $800,- Millennium Falcon; the one model that always eluded them, because it was too expensive for them back then.

I'm sure if my nephew could save up his pocket money and earnings, he would dish out for one as well (let's give him another decade or so to finish his education, land a decent job and have sufficient expendable income though).

What I'm going at here, is that there are legions of (former) kids, who grew up with Star Wars and Lego (and Star Wars Lego video games) for whom a Lego set of their favourite space ship is just the most natural thing.

And most of those kids never even built one plastic model kit (and also never experienced the mind expanding effects of polystyrene cement fumes, but I digress). Because as much as we'd like to deny it, Lego is vastly more mainstream than building plastic model kits, and therefore appeals to a much larger audience.

Also, as has been mentioned; Lego is just a complete scene of its own, where spending $800,- on a set is just as accepted as spending $ 1500,- on a resin garage kit is in ours... ;)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back