Lego Millennium Falcon....How?!

DARTH SABER

Master Member
Im sorry, not meaning to knock anyone whos into Legos, but I was just at the Lego store at Disney Springs and saw this Millennium Falcon...for $800??!!

I personally think Bandai’s PG 1/72 Falcon is a marvel of engineering and accuracy for $350, especially without use of glue.

How in the heck is this blocky pixelated Lego model $800?!!

e3512b0b481885cdb285f159d2fb3536.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How in the heck is this blocky pixelated Lego model $800?!!

Aside from the fun of a week-long build and the high replay value of building a set like this multiple times:

1. They can sell out every single one they make in the first hour at $800
2. That same set sells used right now over $1000
3. That same set will sell used next year for $2000
4. The previous version of that set goes for $3000 used

I saw the Slave 1 and Snowspeeder at the lego store.....looked like studio scale to me. Same with the Falcon.

Aside from the fun of a week-long build and the high replay value of building a set like this multiple times:

1. They can sell out every single one they make in the first hour at $800
2. That same set sells used right now over $1000
3. That same set will sell used next year for $2000
4. The previous version of that set goes for $3000 used

Yes, Im aware that they sell out everywhere for crazy prices, but I just cant wrap my head around something this inaccurate, blocky, and riddled with plastic connector pins going more than twice as much as an uber accurate Bandai Millennium Falcon Perfect Grade.

Yeesh, I guess its just me, but I find Lego models hideous.
To each his own.

Since most if not every part needs to be designed based on lego dimensions and form factor (https://i.stack.imgur.com/npW0j.gif) I think the Lego development team achieves great accuracy and their engineering skills are outstanding. The Falcon comes with over 7.000 parts, and it seems they need to make quite a few molds (expensive) exclusively just for this kit.

I am a big fan of the shuttle, looks awesome in bricks, I don't own any of those collector models just for one simple reason, my wife would definitely kill me.
shuttle_lego.jpg

My kid who's 13 now is a huge fan and strangely cares not one bit for scale models. Why block figures would appeal to him more than detailed scale model figures remains a mystery to me. And what takes me an hour to build trying to follow the Lego manual he can build in 5 minutes -- that's even more strange :)

Lego kits typically run just over $0.10 / piece, so a 7000 piece kit at $800 (with Mouse tax I'm sure) is about right from a price point perspective.

Sean

Yep, that's about right: lots of development, tooling, design, etc was made for this kit...I mean, they have to make a profit too (as far as I know, Lego is not a Charity:rolleyes) and the re-sale value will go through the roof next year: so, yeah: good investment !!

Well, in my humble opinion i feel that the tooling, engineering and accuracy of Bandai is light years beyond the clunky legos and far more justified for a pricier tag.

Still dont understand why someone would dish out $800 for Lego falcon when Bandai is superior at less than half the cost.

LEGO’s simply take a long time to manufacture, and they’re of very high quality. But it’s a fun building process and mostly a nostalgia trip for most adult collectors.

Well, in my humble opinion i feel that the tooling, engineering and accuracy of Bandai is light years beyond the clunky legos and far more justified for a pricier tag.

Still dont understand why someone would dish out $800 for Lego falcon when Bandai is superior at less than half the cost.

You should look at the engineering and precision that goes into a single Lego brick. Actually makes Bandai look like amateurs.

Why would anyone compare a LEGO set that is accessible to most to a model kit that requires extensive materials, skills, and A LOT more man hours to complete? Apples and oranges. I own both. For two very different reasons.

I prefer the nice look of a model over the look of legos as well. I love legos however. But yeah, not for $800. Maybe if it were like $30, I'd get it for fun, but surely not as a display piece. But I know them blocks cost a lot to make.

I prefer the nice look of a model over the look of legos as well. I love legos however. But yeah, not for $800. Maybe if it were like $30, I'd get it for fun, but surely not as a display piece. But I know them blocks cost a lot to make.

I agree. I like Legos as well.
Theyre great building blocks but i just cant see $800 for a lego set to make a very inaccurate Falcon.

I recently did a search on display cases for my Bandai Millennium Falcon Perfect Grade, and the majority i found were display cases for Lego Millennium Falcon. Lol

It's the same scale as the miniature, so it's very big, it's a lot more material than what's in the Bandai kit, and while the Bandai kit is more realistic, Lego offers the ability to make many things with the parts rather than just what's there, it's a creative building toy, not a miniature replica.

I would have loved that as a kid, just for having a mess of cool parts that I could build lots of different stuff out of.
My brother-in-law, however, buys these lego kits, builds them, then sits them on a shelf to collect dust.
I don't understand that mentality at all. I mean, just build a model. Sure, it's more work, but so much more rewarding.

I was thinking about the OP question. If you think of it as a model or a way to get a model-type product of a Millennium Falcon, this is not the way to go, and price doesn't add up. Even being about half the price of the DeAgo kit for something about the same size (I think it is, anyway), it's a terrible price. You could buy two or more Bandai 72nd scale MFs. So terrible price. However, in the world of Legos, that price is about right. A little over 10 cents a brick. Go down to Target, or go online, and peruse the different Lego sets and see how much smaller sets cost and how the prices might compare to a plastic model of similar mass. As you compare these prices, you will find that Lego sets are prices very high when you think of them a way to get to a replica of anything. But, in the world of Lego, that's just what they cost.
Mike Todd

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back