Hasbro Hero X Wing - Red 5 - REPAINT COMPLETE

yaris

Sr Member
I'm happy how my conversion to open wings turned out, but I didn't really nail the Red 5 colors or scheme.

I'm going to repaint the red (add the breaks in the fuselage strip) blue for the cockpit, but here's a question for you experts.....

It seems most folks add yellow to Red 5.....after searching film models there is no yellow on Red 5...???......am I missing something??

01.png02.pngAAA X WING.png03.pngAA HASBRO.jpg

Attachments

• a6.png
    a6.png
    440 KB · Views: 308
  • a5.png
    a5.png
    514.5 KB · Views: 724
  • a4.png
    a4.png
    478.6 KB · Views: 288
  • a3.png
    a3.png
    491 KB · Views: 277
  • a2.png
    a2.png
    490.4 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_1101.JPG
    IMG_1101.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 248
  • IMG_1100.JPG
    IMG_1100.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 283
  • a7.png
    a7.png
    437.9 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Re: Hasbro Hero X Wing - Red 5 - REPAINT - Yellow..???

In the reference pic from ModelerMagic above, I see a faint yellow panel forward of the canopy, and a yellowish orangeish panel around the upper port Saturn can.

Attachments

• 114B7898-70AA-4695-9260-3A31087585DF.jpeg
    114B7898-70AA-4695-9260-3A31087585DF.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 324

It's a matter of perception. I've never seen them as solid yellow panels, certainly not the lemon yellow we've seen on toys and models. I see orange/rusty spots that are faded and mottled.

I definitely see some yellowish panels. Possibly a pale yellow mixed with some tan. There are also green and a handful of greys thrown in.

I suppose it's a personal choice that many people decide to add the yellow. Strange how it became so popular. Not sure if I'll add it though.

There is most definitely yellow on Red 5...if we are talking about the filming model.

Here are shots of the actual filming model of Red 5 from the Chronicles book, the nose and upper engine do have yellow. Although with the weathering it is actually more of a tan/beige color. Your paint job looks really good, it is a closer match to the full size 1:1 scale model that we see Luke getting into and out of on Yavin IV. Even in the movie, the 1:1 models and the 1:24 filming models paint jobs do not match. So, both are correct.

IMG_0941.jpgIMG_0944 (1).jpg

ILMs painting techniques consisted of extra fine misting of neutral colors on top of the base colors to mute them. So a color that starts out as blue or yellow may end up being closer to a beige or tan or grey when done.

Last edited:

I suppose it's a personal choice that many people decide to add the yellow. Strange how it became so popular. Not sure if I'll add it though.

Absolutely! It depends on what you’re trying to replicate....the actual filming model, what you ‘saw’ on screen, or your own interpretation of what you think the ship should look like. I don’t think any of it is wrong...it’s your artwork, do what YOU feel!

Wow, that is a treasure trove of reference photos. I did not expect to see so many that I had not seen before.

Here is a link to pretty much all of the reference I could find on Red 5.
The wing pics may only have 4 stripes but these were taken after it was repainted as Red 4 and then somehow got wrecked. Sad to see but you can clearly see where they simply painted over a stripe on each wing.
Red 5 Reference Pics https://imgur.com/gallery/0420P

If you don't, no one will judge you for it. Well, I might, but maybe a few people can let it go...lol

Thank you so much for sharing those. :)

Here is a link to pretty much all of the reference I could find on Red 5.
The wing pics may only have 4 stripes but these were taken after it was repainted as Red 4 and then somehow got wrecked. Sad to see but you can clearly see where they simply painted over a stripe on each wing.
Red 5 Reference Pics https://imgur.com/gallery/0420P

The Falcon base paint is a flat white, but by the time you layer all the weathering it looks gray. Off the showroom floor, Red 5 had a nice yellow stripe down the nose...now, not so much as its faded and dulled.

If you don't, no one will judge you for it. Well, I might, but maybe a few people can let it go...lol

Adding the yellow fuselage panels makes it more perceivably acceptable to the replica prop community because so many seem to choose to add them, but it's not screen accurate....still I'll add them...see how it turns out......;)

The Falcon base paint is a flat white, but by the time you layer all the weathering it looks gray. Off the showroom floor, Red 5 had a nice yellow stripe down the nose...now, not so much as its faded and dulled.

I choose to believe that all the ship props were base white and the grey appearance is because of the black wash/weathering.......Falcon base paint...??.....showroom floor.....???....NO more YELLOW snow cones for you Sir...:lol:lol

I don't disagree with you. I didn't make the paint map, but I find it handy for seeing the different sections. It's possible that it was flat sea blue, but just misted on and weathered down.

I refuse to believe the canopy was painted "flat sea blue".
1) I'm just not seeing it in any reference photos, and
2) it wouldn't have worked with the blue screens they were shooting with.

I think it was more likely painted the same grey/blue color as the TIEs and Y-wing canopies.

I agree but the cannon stripes are definitely blue. Can't work out how they got away with that.

Last edited:
Repaint complete. I may tone the yellow done, but she's done.....for now;)

Attachments

• a5.png
    a5.png
    514.5 KB · Views: 201
  • a6.png
    a6.png
    440 KB · Views: 236
  • a7.png
    a7.png
    437.9 KB · Views: 253
  • a3.png
    a3.png
    491 KB · Views: 400
  • a2.png
    a2.png
    490.4 KB · Views: 659
  • a4.png
    a4.png
    478.6 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1101.JPG
    IMG_1101.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1100.JPG
    IMG_1100.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 197
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back