Deckard's Blade Runner 2019 Badge??

Gordon Gekko

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So after working on K's badge for Blade Runner 2049, I got to thinking about what Deckard's badge would have really looked like.

I've never cared for the Force badge, and the others that use a standard LAPD shield for the base never seemed right to me either.

Now with real life and 2049, there is an established norm that LAPD badges have the LAPD headquarters building as part of the background. Soo...

Using screencaps of the LAPD building in 2019:

GECM6Ft.jpg

I have designed the following badge:

Gyq52f1.jpg

PjKLb2w.jpg

One thing I am still considering is changing the Detective to Blade Runner. Maybe some of the guys on here who are actually LAPD can weigh in on what they think about how the department would actually handle badges for a special Blade Runner Unit?

Once I have this nailed down to my satisfaction, I am going to print and cold cast like I have done with K's badge. I will probably also do a Captains version as well.

Let me know what you all think of my "fiction".

-GG

I really dig it.

I'm not prior law enforcement, but I'd think his badge would still "just" say detective. For example, I don't think a homicide detective gets a different badge than a narcotics detective. the badge denotes rank and responsibilities, not specialty or department.

I love the idea of this project, especially the LAPD 2019-era building making its way onto the badge. The sharpness of the remainder of the badge, as well as the typography, feels too 2049 for me, though.

Great idea Gordon. Something about the 2049 font on detective is a little off with me though for some reason. Maybe REP DETECT across the top? I think that was the title in the book, need conformation.

I completely agree with you guys on the font. I'm changing it to the standard LAPD font. I'm still not sure about using anything but Detective on the badge, I can't find any examples where LAPD uses anything besides rank. Maybe I can get Eltee to weigh in.

-GG

P.S. After staring at the details, I'm totally going to 3d model and print the whole building.

BR2049Set2.jpg

So the 2049 badge is on the left, a current (2018) badge in next to it. The building is the new, current LAPD HQ. So we need to decide real world or BR world since the current badge style and the current building will be around in 2019. Tom Southwell, in response to my question, said that if Deckard had a badge it would have been a smaller version of the patrolman two piece badge. I like them all.

NewLAPD_HQ.jpg

LAPD uses rank on the top banner. Badge numbers on the lower panel except for top brass and then they add stars to match your rank. The font used today is the same as when the Series 6 badge was introduced. Since 2019 is next year, in the real world I expect no changes in the badge design, fonts, etc.

Re: Rep-Detect, Bladerunner, etc. as titles on a badge it is unfeasible in today's police culture. You don't see Homicide, Intel, Burglary, Fugitive, etc. on real police badges as these are assignments and not ranks. A SERGEANT, etc. might work in any of those units so his badge simply denotes SERGEANT as his rank. Captain Bryant was referred to by his rank, not his assignment as a supervisor of the Bladerunner unit. At least that's my interpretation of the whole badge / rank / unit thing.

Great work as always, a very cool interpretation - I love the addition of the 2019 building. This will look perfect displayed next to Sebastian's chess set... wink, wink, nudge, nudge ;-)

It's cool to see new concepts introduced like this for props we've been batting around for years -- concepts that haven't been done before, but make such good sense that I think, "OF COURSE!"

As eltee points out, we're just one year away from 2019 now, and it's not looking like Blade Runner's LAPD HQ (let alone the rest of BRs LA!) will be built this year, so we're down to a choice between real world and BR world.

Either way, GG, your new design is as always exciting in concept and execution, and I look forward to adding one to my collection! :love

I love this design and agree with the rank instead of unit approach but going on that basis I think Deckard was a Lieutenant wasn't he?

I love this design and agree with the rank instead of unit approach but going on that basis I think Deckard was a Lieutenant wasn't he?

Hmm, I haven't seen anything to indicate he's an LT? Always seemed more of a "grunt" detective to me. Anyways, I hope not, since the Det. badges are done.:lol

You could always have it say LAPD Rep-Detect Unit on the bottom rocker. But I'd say keep the Detective on the top rocker.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back