Spider-Man Costume: Colored Fabric or Standard White Spandex Print.

AaronAlx11

Hey everyone! It's your friendly neighborhood Aaron!

I've been thinking on getting a new costume (If the mods had already posted my first thread, you may know what I'm talking about). In fact, I'm doing a TASM2 suit printed on colored fabric. Why? Because of this:

rpp208v9-14-806x1000.jpgNewCatalog2017vCostumes-15mar17_10-806x1000.jpg
On your left, you can see a colored fabric (screenprinted) Spidey suit.
On your right, you have a white spandex dye-sublimated Spidey suit.

See the difference? If you print a suit on colored fabric, there's more saturated colors and that makes the suit outstand from others. Also when you do acrobatics, there's no fade to white color, as the pattern is printed on the same color fabric. Now... Printing on colored fabric is more expensive and also makes the sewing process longer.

Well... I'll be brief and go straight to the point. I've always had the thought that every live-action suit should be done on colored fabric, as it looks more similar to the real deal. On the other hand, comicbook and concept art suits may be printed on white spandex, as they have way more details, brights and muscle shading, that make it look cool.

Now, here's my doubt. Can we actually modify our files to fit color fabric necesities? Here's a list of suit patterns I'll be buying soon:

- Insomniac Spider-Man PS4 (SuperGeek Designs): https://sellfy.com/p/h8gI/
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (McLean Krieger): https://sellfy.com/p/SDEG/
- MCU Superior Spider-Man (HouseOfJCustoms): https://goo.gl/RMAk2i

- MCU Iron Spider (Arachnid Studios): https://sellfy.com/p/o7jO/
- Custom Symbiote Spider-Man (Arachnid Studios): https://sellfy.com/p/yoZ7/
- Todd McFarlane Spider-Man (Arachnid Studios): https://sellfy.com/p/sE9v/
- Mark Bagley Ultimate Spider-Man V1.0 (Arachnid Studios): https://sellfy.com/p/SqFP/

As you can see... From the ones I showned here, there's only one pattern is "ready"to be printed on colored fabric. This is the McLean file, which is done for that necesities. Now... What about the others? Here's my challenge I think I'll need to modify them in order to fit in the right way. For example, the most difficult ones like the Iron Spider and PS4 Spidey files are gonna take me a lot of time to divide and get the only red and black/blue sections, but I think the result will look great. As I said before, the only files I'm printing on white spandex are the comic style patterns, which are the Symbiote, Bagley and McFarlane. But, I think I'll make an exception: the McFarlane suit would look sick on colored fabric. Why? Because it only has got shadows. There's no bright or difficulty to divide sections, so it will be a challenge. Whereas, I like the fading on the symbiote suit as it is actually part of the pattern and the Ultimate Spider-Man design has got a lot of brights, so won't be a problem for me (or maybe I can change of opinion later on).

What do you guys think? Is it possible or not? Please let me know any tip or experience, so I can take notes about it.

Thanks RPF Forum!

NewCatalog2017vCostumes-15mar17_10-806x1000.jpg

rpp208v9-14-806x1000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I found printing on colored fabrics to be way too difficult and expensive, so I went another way with it. You can purchase a blank Spider-Man suit with red and blue fabric from Zentai Zone for around $55. I did that and then did the web pattern by hand with a ruler and pen, then went over it in puff paint. Then I used a sheet of urethane for the front spider. Its way easier and cheaper than modifying patterns or buying the RPC paint suits and I personally think it looks way better than any dye sub. The only downside is that I would have to do textures by hand if I wanted them.
Here's the before and after
a4d06ad03a0f3ed2a13f323b276fd154.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, JDVaughan17! The blank suit on colored fabric looks great, but I can't find it anywhere on zentaizone. How did you order it? Any chance you could provide links? Thanks in advance :D

Hey, JDVaughan17! The blank suit on colored fabric looks great, but I can't find it anywhere on zentaizone. How did you order it? Any chance you could provide links? Thanks in advance :D

Its not something in their site, just email them and ask for a blank suit.

Love the suit, can you make one like that and sell it? I mean, I could try and make it myself but I'm afraid that I mess the suit with the puff paint.

What if you order a regular dye sub suit which has the red & blue parts seperated and dye them at home with powder fabric dye. I believe SpideyPlanet uses this technique to give his suits more vibrant colors.

Some people have also enhanced their dye sub suits by using red and blue fabric markers and going over the inside (the un-printed, white side) of the fabric to make the colors more vibrant. It's time intensive, but possibly less work overall and less expensive than other methods.
The suit in my avatar is just dye-sub, I didn't try to enhance it since I was going for more muted colors anyway. I did outline the front spider in black sharpie though, but it's hard to see.
(EDIT: I forgot that I did use red and blue sharpies to help minimize the appearance of snags and areas around seams that tend to lose their color. I'd recommend having some on hand for anyone that plans on going to a con or the like. You never know when you'll take some minor damage to your suit).

What if you order a regular dye sub suit which has the red & blue parts seperated and dye them at home with powder fabric dye. I believe SpideyPlanet uses this technique to give his suits more vibrant colors.
It's absolutely doable, it just means assembling it yourself, and it being a much more complicated sewing job.

I found printing on colored fabrics to be way too difficult and expensive, so I went another way with it. You can purchase a blank Spider-Man suit with red and blue fabric from Zentai Zone for around $55. I did that and then did the web pattern by hand with a ruler and pen, then went over it in puff paint. Then I used a sheet of urethane for the front spider. Its way easier and cheaper than modifying patterns or buying the RPC paint suits and I personally think it looks way better than any dye sub. The only downside is that I would have to do textures by hand if I wanted them.
Here's the before and afterView attachment 1048961

What brand of puff paint did you use?

Here's the before and afterView attachment 1048961

What did you do for the mask? Did they send a blank one?

I think zentai zone print on coloured fabric at no extra cost now, also you can get the scratch threads pattern that do amazing spiderlabs patterns, he has them available for printing onto colour.

I think zentai zone pront on coloured fabric at no extra cost now, also you can get the scratch threads pattern that do amazing spiderlabs patterns, he has them available for printing onto colour.
Also i had Herostime print me a mclean asm2 on coloured fabric but I haven't finished it yet as its a 7 piece.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back