How can I make sure I am not stealing an idea?

FuryRoad

Hi, I was thinking of selling props, cosplay on Etsy, like many folks, but I saw a thread (on RPF) about some guy that stole his prop. I've seen lots of props and of course the real thing in the movie or show. How can I know if I've violated someone's copyright or just plain didn't act right. I don't want to do the wrong thing. I would take my own pictures and so on. Thanks for advice. What's the difference between inspiration from you all and stealing?

Edit: No, I wouldn't recast anything either.

Last edited:
If you look at the Mona Lisa, and paint a copy from scratch, it's yours. Your own creation.

If you look at Iron Man and paint a copy from scratch, you do NOT own the copyright. Not legally. And yet, you can sell your painting here and not a single person will complain.

As long as you're creating something from scratch, you're generally fine. If you buy an iron man suit here, and make a mold, and then cast a copy from the mold and SELL it, that's instant banning.

If you buy an iron man suit here, study it visually, and then make a copy from scratch, you're fine again.

If I had to sum it up simply......"You can look, but don't touch"

Couldn't have put it better! Technically we're all just stealing ideas, so you can suck up inspiration of someone else's builds as much as you want - but whenever your are directly selling someone elses work, it's frowned uppon and leads to a ban here (although legally there's not much one can do).

For example, modeling the 100st lightsaber model and printing, painting and selling it - no one will care.
Downloading the STL of someone's 100st lightsaber, printing, painting and selling it -.not cool!

Do people put licenses like Open Source GPL 2, 3, MIT, etc. on an STL like software/programming/code (the world I come from)? I didn't know what an STL was until you mentioned it. I will be careful on that one.

Look don't touch, is amazingly helpful and clarifies a lot. Thanks.

Do people put licenses like Open Source GPL 2, 3, MIT, etc. on an STL like software/programming/code (the world I come from)? I didn't know what an STL was until you mentioned it. I will be careful on that one.

Look don't touch, is amazingly helpful and clarifies a lot. Thanks.

Places like Thingaverse have their own licensing agreement...and each person that posts a file can specify how they will allow that file to be used and shared.
Many places are like Thingaverse in this respect.

I have my own STL file section here on the RPF, and I specify that the files are for PERSONAL use only. Meaning people cannot sell copies of my designs, but can print unlimited copies for their self.

As has been said, if you make something from scratch, great. If you use someone else's work (even just for inspiration), you should really credit that original artist. If you straight out copy, modify a copy, etc in the hope to sell these online, expect repercussions.

In the end of the day, the studios own the PROPerties, being the items we like to collect.

Good luck if you are able to find a market for an item you can make and sell.

As has been said, if you make something from scratch, great. If you use someone else's work (even just for inspiration), you should really credit that original artist. If you straight out copy, modify a copy, etc in the hope to sell these online, expect repercussions.

In the end of the day, the studios own the PROPerties, being the items we like to collect.

Good luck if you are able to find a market for an item you can make and sell.

On the good luck part, I couldn't tell if you were saying good luck making money with props because it probably ain't gonna happen.

On the good luck part, I couldn't tell if you were saying good luck making money with props because it probably ain't gonna happen.

A bit of both.

I've seen dozens of new posts from people either wanting to make this their new career or just make a crap tonne of money from it. Yes you can make money if you are making something people actually want and they are prepared to pay for. I got lucky a few years back with clear soles for the replica NIKE MAG (V2 at the time) from BTTF2, especially with that elusive date of October 21, 2015 coming up. After that, it pretty much dried up.

Now I am having to create all new molds for version 3 soles and also am making the Tube Bag. Often there is a heap of money to be spent on R&D and no guarantee of a profitable return at the end, so there are days when I feel like I am just tipping money down bottomless pit. So I tend to look at this as making stuff I want regardless of the cost, and if people like and want to buy it, great, it helps out with the financials in the end.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back