Metal Rey's NN-14 Blaster Build

tdzanic

After building a couple of Star Wars props for friends on request and seeing a scrap piece of aluminum stock that would be perfect for the job, I decided to build one that I wanted to make: a full metal Rey's NN-14 blaster. This is my first post on RPF, so hopefully you guys will enjoy it! I started the design and build phase about two weeks ago, worked for a few days, and am planning to continue next week and update the thread as it goes along. I based the CAD model off of this picture:
Rey_Blaster.png
After a bit of time in CREO, this was the result (still haven't modeled the hammer yet):
cad.png

I decided to make the entire body of the blaster (not including the grips, barrel and the smaller "barrel") out of two mirrored pieces. The main reason for this was it would allow me to make the body in just one single-sided CNC job. The screws make it easy to join them together. Into the CNC goes a 1/2" x 6" x 18" aluminum flat:

image3.JPG
The run time was a little over 4 hours, but that was with pretty conservative feeds/speeds. The brunt of the time was due to the slots and tight corners that had to be milled out with a 1/16" endmill with slow feeds/speeds. In the future, I'd probably optimize the toolpath a bit and use a grooving tool for the slots that ended up giving me a similar result (the four slots arranged in a square in the picture below) much quicker, so I could cut that milling time by an hour or so. After cutting the two halves out of the stock and cleaning it up on a deburring wheel:

4I5q8IMg.jpg

The barrel was made on a manual lathe (don't have any pictures at the moment, but I'll try to get some when I can). I tapped the bottom and plan to attach it to the body with a threaded rod. The coloring on the end of the barrel looks very similar to how parts with Dykem paint on them look after welding, so the plan will likely be to paint the end with Dykem and heat the back side of the barrel, and then quench it after the color gradient looks similar to the real thing.

Next steps:
Tap the holes in the two halves
CNC the grips out of some black ABS
Make a fiberglass mold out of the halves and the grips to resin cast a plastic replica for a friend

Last edited:
Some updates:
Barrel was made on a manual lathe. No holes yet since I had to thread it onto the body to see what orientation it's in.
IMG_4237.JPG

Drilling and tapping the body for the threaded rod to attach the barrel:
cyFAdV2.jpg
And a quick look at how it attaches:
TAl0YVU.jpg

Nice!

I can def. appreciate the manual machine work (all I have are manual lathe/mill myself!)

At first I thought you cut (male) threads on the barrel! (even more impressive I thought!) as cutting threads on a manual lathe can be a PITA! LOL..

But I see now there a connecting threaded rod!

Still looking great man!

(working trigger and space for a battery pack and microprocessor in it. and you got a working prop form the movie!) ;)

Nice!

I can def. appreciate the manual machine work (all I have are manual lathe/mill myself!)

At first I thought you cut (male) threads on the barrel! (even more impressive I thought!) as cutting threads on a manual lathe can be a PITA! LOL..

But I see now there a connecting threaded rod!

Still looking great man!

(working trigger and space for a battery pack and microprocessor in it. and you got a working prop form the movie!) ;)

I avoid cutting threads on the lathe as if my life depends on it lol. I just bought some more stock for another blaster, so the next one might have the trigger and sound board!

Haven't posted an update in a while since I got sidetracked by some other things so here it is:

The holes on the barrel were drilled after aligning the body to make sure they are correctly oriented:
EDuK1cw.jpg

Finished barrel without paint:
XY3Tdjk.jpg

The holes at the front of the body were drilled and tapped and a groove was cut across it to resemble the real thing. The line between the two pieces should become much less noticeable when the two pieces are bolted together and bonded.
SSR51Ng.jpg

The grips were CNC'd out of ABS plastic. They didn't come out great since it shifted a bit during the CNC job and I was running it extremely fast:
ROGXWNW.jpg

However after a bit of cleaning up and sanding they came out fine. Currently it's really dull but should become a lot glossier after a coat of acrylic lacquer:
xF0zeHS.jpg
The small bottom "barrel" was also made on a manual lathe. This was kind of a pain in the ass to hold properly:
bo3IrDt.jpg

And finally here is the current state of the blaster. Several more things to do such as making the hammer, painting, roughing up, etc.

oCuEhWD.jpg

Attachments

• 41l7FNy.jpg
    41l7FNy.jpg
    695.5 KB · Views: 198
Small update today. I made the hammer out of two pieces on the lathe and mill that fit together with a press fit. I knurled the hammer as I felt it made it look more realistic.
aDCUDJi.jpg
azbR7Bp.jpg
rv20OeS.jpg

After a little paint job, this is the result:
IMG_4331.JPG

Still need to paint the inside of the hammer and the end of the barrel, but the project is almost done! The two screws in the middle of the body are missing as I plan to machine them down a bit to closer resemble the reference photo.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back