TLJ Kylo Ren Lightsaber Advice

ManOfSteel

Hello everyone. I recently decided to pursue a 501st approved TLJ Kylo Ren costume (the capeless, helmetless version seen through most of the movie). I've contacted several people about the quilted vest and such. There's no CLR but I think the vest has enough reference photos to be fine. The major impediment I'm having is lack of reference pictures of the lightsaber. The best replica I found based on the reference pictures I could even come up with was pretty expensive but I think it's pretty close (except the paint job):
lPJuo2W.jpg
My critiques are:
  • It's mostly resin... In the listing the seller said "the main body is aluminum" but that's not the case. The silver part that runs through the core is indeed metal but the black parts are all resin. I don't like it...
  • The main grippy part almost seems totally opposite of most of the other options (Black Series, Disney Store etc.) and looks too thin?
  • The paint job is clearly based on TFA but I'm interested in the matte black TLJ style (which I don't even know if that's possible with resin).

I thought it would be cool to have one with blades so I got a Disney Parks one as well:
OwtN7aV.jpg
Critiques:
  • Chunky still... The cross-guard emitters are too big. It seems a little thick. But it's metal and the paint job is cool.

This is all a little weird to me because obtaining something like an Obi-Wan Kenobi lightsaber in indestructible aluminum is so easy and so much less expensive:
5mYfkcx.jpg
I got that for a Rebel Legion Obi-Wan costume from Saber Forge and it's so well built, looks so sleek, and has the blade/sound effect/light situation. This set my expectations really high for the rest of the lightsabers.

Here are my questions:
1. What is my best course of action? Wait for someone to do a CNC run of TLJ lightsabers? Paint the custom one I have? Give up? Get a Korbanth one (innacurate pommel though) and rip out the aluminum core of the custom one?
2. I'm new to the "Kylo Ren scene" but after TLJ I'm really into it but the lightsaber thing is so strange. Why is it so difficult to get an accurate, durable lightsaber? Especially when Rey, Luke, or Obi-Wan is so easy to find.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Keep an eye out for Phoenix Props KR CNC V2, the run is over but you’ll see people trying to sell one on the Knights of Ren FB group from time to time. Did you get the first one from PewPew Crafts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back