Mad max fury road nux bobbleheads

DeLano80

Sr Member
Lets build some Nux bobbleheads. A fun and quick project!
All of the research done (not by me) and my inspiration came from this thread: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=239913&highlight=nux+bobblehead

I originally made a custom request to have the parts come in kit form from a seller on Etsy called DappledLightStudio who is also known as @logan74k here on the RPF. He is awesome to deal with and his parts are top quality. I got one and put it together. I had a few more couplings left over so... I got three more kits. I have scaled all the pictures available online and over-layed his parts. Spot on match. Another thank you goes to @Mr Webber who helped me a bunch and is an all around good guy.

Here is what a got from DappledLightStudio. I had a few parts omitted because I am strange. Gotta use real couplings. A bit on that in a minute.
IMG_1313.JPGIMG_1314.JPG

Here is his skulls more closely. These are raw cast, so they need a bit of sanding.
IMG_1315.JPGIMG_1316.JPGIMG_1318.JPG
Good stuff!

DappledLightStudio sells this complete as well of course. Which is great for people who have lives with no free time on their hands. But I find it fun to add my own personal touch (for better or worse). The coupling piece he has is cast from an original part and looks fantastic. Here is the piece I received from my original order that I did not use.
IMG_1319.JPG
And next to one of my real parts that has been weathered to my liking. Just needs some paint.
IMG_1320.JPG
Here is what the parts look like before modification.
3-45.JPG
Should end up looking something like this (my first one). And for some reason, I do not know how to take pictures without a yellow tinge...
IMG_1307.JPGIMG_1308.JPGIMG_1310.JPGIMG_1312.JPG

I might try to find some real wipers, but I don't really need to. The parts are good as they are. We'll see.

what are the little parts that go in the mouth afterall? Did they get ID'd
In your picture under the washers? those little parts.

For one eye you can find black marbles with green stripes in then. Also for the other nut I found there is a nut with a more shallow cone that fits better.

The birds have a few spots filled with putty and have been sanded. I primed them and also fit them to their wiper parts.
IMG_1324.JPGIMG_1325.JPGIMG_1326.JPG
Up next I will sandblast all of the metal except the couplings. I find it is easier to control my weathering process on the steel parts that way.

Got some work done. Haven't had much time lately. Anyway...

Kinda hard to take pictures of snow white things. Next for these is oil paints.
IMG_1334.JPGIMG_1336.JPGIMG_1338.JPG

These were assembled and sandblasted. I sprayed the bare metal with white vinegar and let them rust. Then I went over them with steel wool to knock the rust back. Might give it a little more rust.
IMG_1346.JPGIMG_1349.JPGIMG_1350.JPG

And the couplings. Vinegar is useful. I bathed them in it overnight and it strips all the galvanizing off. It flash rusts almost immediately after you take them out of their bath. I then soaked them in salt water to get a darker rust. After that I blued the whole thing right over the rust. Kinda gave the metal a nice aged look. The next step was to reapply the galvanizing in spots, like the original. I may revisit this and give it a little more galvanizing.
IMG_1351.JPGIMG_1354.JPG

The braided wire.
1.JPG
I cut about .125" of the inner core out so I could fray the ends a bit.
Then to dirty it up, I reached under the engine of my Jeep and pulled out some greasy gunk and rubbed it in.
2.JPG

The springs.
On my first one, I used epoxy. The epoxy worked quite well and is pretty strong stuff. But I like things made to last, (especially if it is going to be bouncing around in someones car) so I welded the washers onto the springs.

They are just little baby welds.
Shhhhhh..... They're sleeping.

3.JPG
4.JPG
And one more for size.
5.JPG
I tested one with twenty pounds and it held up just fine. Spring steel can get brittle when welded.
I am getting a little old to weld that small anymore.

Last edited:
Ummm. So here they are.

1.JPG
2.JPG
IMG_0481.JPG
IMG_0482.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
I think these photos are pretty detailed if you open them up, but if you need more for some reason, I took about 1000...

Do you do commissions ? Or just build for your own collection? Just saw your Nux steering wheel... freaking AMAZING man.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back