Blade Runner 2049 Officer K badge wallet

Alright! All done with version 1.0. I wrapped the wallet in 20-gauge plastic sheeting from Joann Fabrics. So here's how it works: The screen charges with a micro-USB and the power is controlled with a little magnetic disc that comes with the screen. The disc works through the electrical tape and the plastic sheeting, so it's perfect for turning the ID on and off discreetly when you open the wallet, just by sliding the disc to the side and off the contact. The backlit screen really keeps the detail in the ID sharp. I used heavy-duty staples, colored black with a Sharpie, to attach the sheeting to the wallet. I couldn't find a feasible way to actually sew the sheeting onto the leather. Here's the final product:

wallet.jpeg
open.jpeg
button.jpeg

Last edited:
How are you constructing yours?

Im thinking of using the "White LED Backlight Module - Large 45mm x 86mm" found on Adafruit, along with one of their smaller batteries and a magnetic switch, backlighting a clear ID card. Im not getting too excited though, I think the light module might be difficult to fit in the wallet, will also have to see how bright it is. If its too big I may have to use a larger wallet to fit everything in.

Last edited:
Ok, my first wallet is in and the construction is great, but the ID size is WAY off. Pictures posted below. You can see what I ordered and how it fits with both Gekkos badge, a drivers license-style ID, and the screen in the earlier pic. The badge fits pretty well, with some room to spare. The ID size ordered is 3” x 4 ½”, but the actual size of the visible window is 2 ¾” by 4 x ⅜”.

View attachment 789138View attachment 789136View attachment 789137

What size and shape options did you use for the badge?

I used Gordon Gekkos version of the badge, which is almost exactly the size of the actual LAPD badge, so I ordered the wallet to fit the LAPD badge-style.

Oh ok thanks, and sorry I remember you mentioning that already! That is the badge that I am going to get as well.

I did some more testing of the battery options for my phone backlight. I tried the Lithium Manganese 3V pouch cell to power the boost converter, which could supply the LEDs with 24mA at 12V and was incredibly bright. However, the current decreases pretty rapidly as the boost converter is draining the battery hard to provide that current. so it won't last very long. Unlike conventional batteries the cell voltage does not bounce back up after the load is disconnected either.

I then tried the other idea of 2 CR2032 coil cells in series to give 6V. As this is closer tot he output voltage of the boost converter it doesn't need to pull quite as much current from the batteries. it was supplying about 19-20mA to the LEDs, which decays the longer it's left on but bounces back a bit after being turned off for a while, so they should last a bit longer. Here's a pic of how brighti t looks with a pair of pretty well used coin cells (this was taken under strong LED lighting and with flash on the camera):
6V.jpg
That's the ID image that was posted for free on here a while ago laser printed onto a transparency. Is it Birdie who can supply a file of the more accurate image?

As coin cells were the way to go, I had to think about where I was going to put them (and make it easy to change them). The wallet I've got doesn't have much room in the ID pocket - I can just about get the backlight panel into it. I could either unpick the stitching and insert another layer to make more room in the pocket to put the cells behind the backlight, or look at moving them over to the badge side (which has a very thick piece of leather around the badge). This would mean routing some cutouts in the back of the badge to accommodate the cells and the boost converter, so I set to it today. I drilled about 120 1.5mm holes 3.5mm deep (which was about how much I reckoned I could get away with without breaking though) by hnnd with a pin vise, and then used the milling bits on my rotary tool to rout out the rest of the material and tidy up.
pockets1.jpg

The cells will have copper or brass strips underneath them for the +ve and -ve terminals, and a sprung copper or brass bar screwed across them to connect them together and hold rhem in. I did break through in one area (where II lost concentration and put a little too much pressure on the pin vise) which left a small hole in the bottom of one of the 'valleys' above the LAPD logo. I managed to fill it with a little putty and touch the paint and weathering up though.

Now i'm just waiting for my reed switch to come before I get it together.

Last edited:
Is anyone considering doing a run of a wallet with just the screen and electronics all pre installed?

The finished ID, badge and clear plastic is something I can handle on my own.

Is anyone considering doing a run of a wallet with just the screen and electronics all pre installed?

The finished ID, badge and clear plastic is something I can handle on my own.

I'm hoping someone will. I’m very out of my element when it comes to electronics.

Even the descriptions of the parts you all are using are intimidating to me, lol.

Badges.jpeg

Birdie's is on the left and Gordon Gekko's is on the right. Gekko's is much closer to the actual LAPD badge size and will fit in the LAPD badge cut-out wallets. I should’ve taken a picture of them lying flat. Gekko's is much flatter than Birdie's, which allows it to fold better in the wallet. Both are awesome examples of K's badge.

Last edited:
Does it seem like it would break easily? I had no idea they were so thin!
There's not much space in a phone, especially thickness. The LCD glass sandwich and polarising filter that sit on top of it are probably the same thickness again. The backlight is made of a sandwich of plastic sheets, so it shouldn't break. The ultra-thin film ribbon cable connector is probably the only fragile part.

Makes sense, yeah I might end up going the phone LCD route as well then, will have to see if the lcd backlight panel I ordered is too thick or not.

Edit: looks like it is 3.5mm, might not be too bad but like I said, will have to see.

Last edited:
I just received a bunch of iPhone 5 panels in the mail and they are every bit as thin as you say. I'm going to have to study these posts again, because I have no idea how to power these things.

screen2.jpegscreen1.jpeg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back