Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Dec 27, 2017, 7:03 PM - Build Rey's new saber contest now closed for entries #1

If you haven't seen the movie, stop reading and back away " unless you want spoilers that is"

Ok. So now that we moved on, here we go.

As we all know, poor poor Rey had her saber broken in two. She needs a new one. So I was thinking, why can't we help design her new lightsaber. Of course its' all in fun and wouldn't really become hers. There are no prizes " unless someone wants to donate something"

I was thinking this could be completely open with zero limits. This could be made of any material or design plastic, metal, wood, cast, 3d print , machined or made from found parts. Heck, you can carve it from soap if you want to

The only proposed rules I have would be to stay off favoritism. Therfore, no posting ideas here or in your build threads until the contest is over.

We will need a mediator to post photos sent by each member that participates and then be voted on.

I'm thinking a six week limit for the build once we begin.

I am just throwing this out there, so if someone thinks more rules should be made, simply post your ideas.

This is it, Deadline has passed. Please be patient, Drew will need some time to upload the pics. Everyone is excited, you're not alone, they will be up soon enough

jjohnson916
    halliwax
    seths
    sundowner
    Cameron
    vader1974
    13doctorwho
    kevin926
    roygilsing
    Spacebob
    Spiderphantom5
    bradberry00
    UkkosTrombone
    Dirtybrush
    murdered
    steaksause
    Fiveliter8
    bengrim09
    smithjohnj
    greenie
    cornbread
    followedsphere
    3 CELL PO
    ThePropsPerson
    CAKComedyProps
    PAULH
    ThatSpoiler
    SKratzer
    Last edited by kevin926; Feb 26, 2018 at 6:28 PM.
    Dec 27, 2017, 7:10 PM - Re: Who's up for a new saber contest? Warning, possible spoilers #2

kevin926 said: View Post
    If you haven't seen the movie, stop reading and back away " unless you want spoilers that is"

Ok. So now that we moved on, here we go.

As we all know, poor poor Rey had her saber broken in two. She needs a new one. So I was thinking, why can't we help design her new lightsaber. Of course its' all in fun and wouldn't really become hers. There are no prizes " unless someone wants to donate something"

I was thinking this could be completely open with zero limits. This could be made of any material or design plastic, metal, wood, cast, 3d print , machined or made from found parts. Heck, you can carve it from soap if you want to

The only proposed rules I have would be to stay off favoritism. Therfore, no posting ideas here or in your build threads until the contest is over.

We will need a mediator to post photos sent by each member that participates and then be voted on.

I'm thinking a six week limit for the build once we begin.

I am just throwing this out there, so if someone thinks more rules should be made, simply post your ideas.

So, who's up for the fun challenge,?
    This would be something fun to do. Let me give it some more thought? Very intriguing though

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk
    From
    Los Angeles
    Dec 27, 2017, 7:15 PM - Re: Who's up for a new saber contest? Warning, possible spoilers #3

I’m in so long as people can give a little reason to their design. Lots of people build custom sabers and could just throw down anything. If we get thought and intent with Rey in mind, I’m in.
    Dec 27, 2017, 7:17 PM - Re: Who's up for a new saber contest? Warning, possible spoilers #4

SethS said: View Post
    Iím in so long as people can give a little reason to their design. Lots of people build custom sabers and could just throw down anything. If we get thought and intent with Rey in mind, Iím in.
    How would we build with Rey in mind? Just need something to get the old wheels turning

Dec 27, 2017, 7:20 PM - Re: Who's up for a new saber contest? Warning, possible spoilers #5

Yes, exactly. This must be a new saber and not one put together from a past build that was shown before. I was thinking a description would be a must but should be sent in with the photos when completed.

- - - Updated - - -

jjohnson916 said: View Post
    How would we build with Rey in mind? Just need something to get the old wheels turning

we all know Rey. Keep it simple or complex if you choose. Example would be, made to fit her hands for starters
    Dec 27, 2017, 7:21 PM - Re: Who's up for a new saber contest? Warning, possible spoilers #6

Yes, exactly. This must be a new saber and not one put together from a past build that was shown before. I was thinking a description would be a must but should be sent in with the photos when completed.

- - - Updated - - -

we all know Rey. Keep it simple or complex if you choose. Example would be, made to fit her hands for starters
    Oh ok. I'm in. Definitely down for this. A six week limit sounds like plenty of time to design and build a saber

From
    Los Angeles
    Dec 27, 2017, 7:23 PM - Re: Who's up for a new saber contest? Warning, possible spoilers #7

Rey is an orphan, a scavenger, and tough as hell. She has great potential, but t her loneliness gets in the way. She wants a family, she wants to belong, but she also knows she has a higher calling. She has an innate sense of right and wrong.

If people build sabers working of something there, or something else, it would be cool. I just would like to see intent. Like, an engraved leather-wrapped KOTOR style saber doesn’t speak to Rey, but somebody could throw that in as an entry cause it’s what they like/have.

I just think it would be cool if people played concept artist to an extent and had some narrative thought in their design.
    Dec 27, 2017, 7:29 PM - Re: Who's up for a new saber contest? Warning, possible spoilers #8

SethS said: View Post
    Rey is an orphan, a scavenger, and tough as hell. She has great potential, but t her loneliness gets in the way. She wants a family, she wants to belong, but she also knows she has a higher calling. She has an innate sense of right and wrong.

If people build sabers working of something there, or something else, it would be cool. I just would like to see intent. Like, an engraved leather-wrapped KOTOR style saber doesn’t speak to Rey, but somebody could throw that in as an entry cause it’s what they like/have.

I just think it would be cool if people played concept artist to an extent and had some narrative thought in their design.
    This is the exact attitude and approach I was hoping for.
    Dec 27, 2017, 7:30 PM - Re: Who's up for a new saber contest? Warning, possible spoilers #9

This is the exact attitude and approach I was hoping for.
    I think we should wait a couple days to get the work out and choose a start date. Then get to it

10. Iron Heart RPF Premium Member Sundowner's Avatar
    From
    Midwest
    Dec 27, 2017, 7:32 PM - Re: Who's up for a new saber contest? Warning, possible spoilers #10

Oh I'm definitely in for this!
  11. RPF Premium Member kevin926's Avatar
    Dec 27, 2017, 7:35 PM - Re: Who's up for a new saber contest? Warning, possible spoilers #11

jjohnson916 said: View Post
    I think we should wait a couple days to get the work out and choose a start date. Then get to it

Agreed. I'm hoping for atleast 10 to 20 members. Once we get a number of entries, we can give it a week or so to let others join in and set the start date.
  12. RPF Premium Member kevin926's Avatar
    Dec 27, 2017, 7:45 PM - Re: Who's up for a new saber contest? Warning, possible spoilers #12

One last detail. I was thinking hilt only. No blade so we can keep the cost down and also keep it simple.
  13. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Dec 27, 2017, 10:33 PM - Re: Who's up for a new saber contest? Warning, possible spoilers #13

THANKS A LOT KEVIN I HAVENT SEEN THE MOVIE YET!!! j/k!!! lol

im down! whats the rules?!?
    Dec 27, 2017, 10:34 PM - Re: Who's up for a new saber contest? Warning, possible spoilers #14

Yes, can you make an updated list of the rules

Dec 27, 2017, 11:48 PM - Re: Who's up for a new saber contest? Warning, possible spoilers #15

One last detail. I was thinking hilt only. No blade so we can keep the cost down and also keep it simple.
    I agree

From
    Los Angeles
    Dec 28, 2017, 12:14 AM - Re: Who's up for a new saber contest? Warning, possible spoilers #16

halliwax said: View Post

I'd love to see a custom saber out of you.
    From
    Irvine California
    Dec 28, 2017, 2:04 AM - Re: Who's up for a new saber contest? Warning, possible spoilers #17

im in!
  18. RPF Premium Member 13doctorwho's Avatar
    From
    Houston, Texas
    Dec 28, 2017, 8:51 AM - Re: Who's up for a new saber contest? Warning, possible spoilers #18

It sounds like fun!
  19. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    Dec 28, 2017, 9:35 AM - Re: Who's up for a new saber contest? Warning, possible spoilers #19

Oh my! It sure sounds like a lot of fun! I hope I'll find the time for it!
  20. RPF Premium Member kevin926's Avatar
    Dec 28, 2017, 2:31 PM - Re: Who's up for a new saber contest? Warning, possible spoilers #20

halliwax said: View Post

I did say spoilers, also backaway. Lol
  21. RPF Premium Member kevin926's Avatar
    Dec 28, 2017, 2:40 PM - Re: Who's up for a new saber contest? Warning, possible spoilers #21

Rules are simple

. No sharing on any forum pages until the contest is over.
    No recycled sabers already used in other contests.
    Saber should resemble Rey in some fashion. ( looks like it's made for her and not a darth maul clone)
    Photos with descriptions will need to be sent to a willing member that will post on the build page.

Guide lines.
    Use any materials you want
    Spend as much as you want
    No blades. Hilt only
    Can be found parts, cast, machined or printed. Feel free to make this anyway you want to.

Once we start, you have to be finished by the date agreed on

That's it.
    From
    United Kingdom
    Dec 28, 2017, 5:09 PM - Re: Who's up for a new saber contest? Warning, possible spoilers #22

Are we talking static prop or electronic install?
    Dec 28, 2017, 5:39 PM - Re: Who's up for a new saber contest? Warning, possible spoilers #23

Greenie said: View Post
    Are we talking static prop or electronic install?
    I think either way. He said it can be as simple it complicated as you want

24. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Saint Paul, MN
    Dec 28, 2017, 5:44 PM - Re: Who's up for a new saber contest? Warning, possible spoilers #24

I might be in depending on start date!
  25. RPF Premium Member kevin926's Avatar
    Dec 28, 2017, 5:56 PM - Re: Who's up for a new saber contest? Warning, possible spoilers #25

Bradberry00 said: View Post
    I might be in depending on start date!
    once we have the contestants, we will collectively make the start date. This way, it will give the time needed so everyone who would like to join in will be allowed.