Stainless Steel scratch made Graflex (Sloooooow) WIP

Fabian 71

Hi guys , I made a brass and niquel plated Graflex replica a lot long time ago ... now i am trying stainless steel , i´m not looking for accuracy, but it HAS to look right ,it is going to be a reaaaaaaly loooong process so this is the very first bit . The Graflex bottom piece .

WhatsApp Image 2017-12-27 at 4.34.38 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2017-12-27 at 4.32.42 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2017-12-27 at 4.32.39 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2017-12-27 at 4.32.36 PM.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

I got to do the cuts that conect the Graflex clamp, as you can see the "cap" is made using a lathe to machine the tube internal diameter then I placed a SS disk and folded the metal wall over that disc.

Is stainless steel hard to work with on a lathe?

This particular tubing as I saw, wasn`t that hard to work with the lathe, I didn`t do the job but was present when the guy did it, and it is hard but with correctly sharped tools and a bit of coolant you are good. It have also to to do with the nature of the stainless steel , this one tubing is that one that has a interior seam, so it is not even you have to center de tube in order to make a clean cut.

- - - Updated - - -

You also have the alternative to make a cap and glue it in place o make the cap threaded.

Guys, There´s a problem with the facebook page Graflex addicts support group, I used to be in that group and used to be great, but I can´t get in the facebook page anymore , it seems as if I was banned , I sended a message to Mathew Duley but got not response. Last time I posted I chatted with a guy that was going to see TLJ we had a little chat but I didn´t spoiled anything (if that was the problem) if you are in the group could you ask him for me? I would appreciate that, thank you in advance.

Awesome work! I really like how you’re going the full mile and building both the bottom and top of the Graflex, rather than just a single tube like most scratchbuilds (mine included.) Those t-tracks look perfect as well!

I look forward to seeing the rest of this magnificent build. :)

Last edited:
I want to build not one but four graflex , two of em are going to be single tubing, for more resistance, if the owner want to duel with it. So your saber is great the way it is...

- - - Updated - - -

Guys, There´s a problem with the facebook page Graflex addicts support group, I used to be in that group and used to be great, but I can´t get in the facebook page anymore , it seems as if I was banned , I sended a message to Mathew Duley but got not response. Last time I posted I chatted with a guy that was going to see TLJ we had a little chat but I didn´t spoiled anything (if that was the problem) if you are in the group could you ask him for me? I would appreciate that, thank you in advance.

help please...

I used the Brage Borg`s Graflex bank Grip Guide to make a kind of ... yes...guide...to drill the screws holes in the bottom, that web page is really a labor of love thanks Brage!!!

I just added the points and adapted it in size to fit the size of my grips 90mm x 11.2 mm (wide)

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 9.31.07 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 9.31.11 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 9.31.16 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 9.31.20 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 9.31.25 AM.jpeg

This is looking great with the grips attached!

Did you just screw them into place or use some sort of adhesive as well? If not, how do you stop the grips from twisting/moving since they’re only attached at the bottom?

This is looking great with the grips attached!

Did you just screw them into place or use some sort of adhesive as well? If not, how do you stop the grips from twisting/moving since they’re only attached at the bottom?

I was planning on cut the screws and just glue it in the hilt but... I finished making the holes and screw it in place... I`ll use doble sided tape for the rest of the grip... not gonna glue it in case some day I want to change the grips, it is gonna be static hilt.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the support... !!! any question and help is welcome The14thDr.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back