The Dark Knight suit (3d printed) - help

jumpman971

Hi, i've been 3d printing a TDK suit for like 5 months (but not every day).
Here's what i have 3d printed so far(Bust, abs and sides):
IMG_1219.JPG
Some pieces might need to be reprinted but that's not a problem.
The problem is that i'm trying to begin the polishing process on the chest, only trying because i'm having a really hard time making this step (the paint job is wet on those pictures):
FullSizeRender.jpg
thumbnail_FullSizeRender.jpg
I've watch tutorials on youtube. The one that i've tried is using sand paper and paint can:
The process is sanding the object, painting it, sanding again on the paint and painting it and doing this again and again, till the thing is smooth.
It's a too long process and it's not even a success with me.
There's another process with acetone and a spray: it's vaporising acetone on my 3d printed objects but this process seems a little bit too "random" to me.
So i'm here to ask for some help. If anyone have a great solution for me. It would be greate cause i really don't know what to do (i've a few raws idea but it's kind of risky ideas).
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Ok so i've bought one filler can in the market and here's the result (paint job is wet):
fsdfsdfsdfsdf.jpg
It looks definetly better in less time than what i've been doing before. Still, my chest needs more layer of this filler can. @GasmanR thanks for the advice. I saw the XTC 3D before and i asked a guy about it and he told me that it was useless with the quality of objects printed with i3 prusa like printer. Well i'm starting to think that i should definetly try to buy one XTC 3D someday. And thanks for the links, they look really usefull.

EDIT:
here's a little update on my work:
26194994_10210852453652798_2072252659_o.jpg
26236704_10210852456532870_1306096853_o.jpg26179514_10210852457092884_1355975693_o.jpg26179897_10210852457732900_1452481267_o.jpg26179897_10210852457732900_1452481267_o.jpg
Some imperfection are still persisting. Gonna have to sand them.
Anyway, thanks for the help again everyone.

Last edited:
You can try stuff from auto repair shops, like Norauto in France I think it's called. They have this filler putty for bumbers and such, sold in tube. It's fairly easy to apply, and sands really well. They also have filler primer in spray can. For best results, I found that you need to sand the piece first with a rough grit, use the primer putty, sand and repeat until smooth, then a few coats of the filler primer, with fine grit sanding in between, before the color coat.
To be clear, it's not the stuff you have to mix, it's really a tube, like a toothpaste tube.

Plan B is woodfiller from any DIY store. Sands really easily, but I find it a bit harder to paint as it kinda drinks the paint. So you need a very good base coat of paint, probably several layers with light sanding in between.

@harmfulAdam
for now, what i have is printable at ~70%: you can find the upperside of the suit on thingverse but it's not sliced (So i had to sliced it myself), the bottomside (the pants pieces), the arms and the neck come from a pepakura file that i'm making printable (the pants is printable at 80%, the arms are printable but need to be sliced and the neck is printable at 40%). I might release what i did when i'm finish but i think i'll have to ask the autors of the original models that i'm using first.

By the way, i had a question:
Some part of the suit needs to be painted in a carbon mesh looking like on this picture:
carborn style mesh.png
Here's a video that explain how i can do that with a grey spray can and some kind of mesh or texture (i dont know the exact word for this) :

The problem is that i don't know where i can find that mesh. Can anyone help me find one plz?
Also, i'm starting to think about the undersuit that i'm gonna have to use for my suit.
The biggest problem is the hexmesh that needs to be on the entire undersuit.
I've found this t-shirt (don't ask me how lol) that have a hexmesh looking:
https://fr.aliexpress.com/store/pro...shirt-V-Neck-Singlet/2227072_32793212629.html
I think it's a pretty good start but i would like to hear if anyone have better ideas.

EDIT:
never mind for the carbon mesh like, i just really need to learn to read (the answer to my question was in the video description).

carborn style mesh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, here's the final result of my suit:
IMG_1901.pngIMG_1938.pngIMG_1986.png
I had to finish it for the french japan expo (8 july). So i couldn't finish it completly but still managed to make it look cool for the day.
I will post the files that i have used later.
Thanks for the advices that i had here!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back