Obi wan Real Parts assembly

franz bolo

Sr Member
How are people putting theirs together? Here's how I did mine. I machined the brass piece at the front and the aluminum spacer. It all pressure fits together. The sink knob pressure fits on the booster threads as well. My sink knob was gutted when they removed it so I don't have the small square hole part to fit a carriage bolt. The rod is 1/4" 20. The rubber washers that go into the booster help it fit snug.
IMG_20171209_161739.jpg

Here's the replica I'm working on as well. It has a carriage bolt (I grinded the end flat) going through the sink knob replica and then attaches to a 1/4" 20 rod with a 1/4" rod connector. The rod runs up to the front brass piece and tightens up. I need to make an aluminum spacer, this one is teflon.
IMG_20171213_184912.jpg

They are both super solid, no rattling or anything.
IMG_20171213_184837.jpg

All I need to do now is find some vintage washers and tap some screw holes for the transistors. I need to ass screws to the transistors as well. Any clue what type of washer was used on the original?

-

My handwheel is just pressure fit onto the booster. Then, I used Romans hollow clamp spacer to thread the booster on one end and the grenade on the other. A short threaded rod runs from the grenade into an adapter in the balance pipe to tighten everything up.

Obi_ANHparts2.jpg

Cool, what diameter rod is that? Mine was a fine thread and thin so I found a small metal sleeve that I put where the grenade stem is. I prevents the rod from moving and keeps the BP centered.

Can you screw transistors into that clamp spacer? If not, how do people add them? Mine will eventually screw into the spacer after I tap it.

Not sure what diameter the rod is, but it fits perfectly into the neck of the grenade. When I finally get around to attaching my transistors, I'll be doing it by hollowing out the transistors, gluing a socket head cap screw inside them and then tightening them up with a nut.

How are people putting theirs together? Here's how I did mine. I machined the brass piece at the front and the aluminum spacer. It all pressure fits together. The sink knob pressure fits on the booster threads as well. My sink knob was gutted when they removed it so I don't have the small square hole part to fit a carriage bolt. The rod is 1/4" 20. The rubber washers that go into the booster help it fit snug.
View attachment 782151

Here's the replica I'm working on as well. It has a carriage bolt (I grinded the end flat) going through the sink knob replica and then attaches to a 1/4" 20 rod with a 1/4" rod connector. The rod runs up to the front brass piece and tightens up. I need to make an aluminum spacer, this one is teflon.
View attachment 782152

They are both super solid, no rattling or anything.
View attachment 782153

All I need to do now is find some vintage washers and tap some screw holes for the transistors. I need to ass screws to the transistors as well. Any clue what type of washer was used on the original?

-

A gorgeous build Franz. I love the 2 side by side. This is such an iconic piece!
I had Roman pressure fit his threaded adapter into the balance pipe he surgically altered for me.
Roman is the man!
I only need the booster, & I'll have mine finished!

Afternoon all. Fantastic builds here; very inspiring how you’ve all managed to get this stuff together.

I’m working on my own and it’s coming along, slowly but surely. figured I’d join in on the fun and document my progress. Need to get the AS wheel chromed and obviously still need a balance pipe and booster, as I know many do. But if anyone has any leads, please let me know! Cheers!

87c98b6ccd4f3fe3de913b140951178c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back