Thick traces on PCBs

V2 first for sure, Yuma, then V3?

I'm still not sold on cave vs ISYHCANL over which came first.

Also, I'm shocked no one has ever done an ISYHCANL box run-- I like it SO much more. The standard hero box is the thing that has made me always dislike that saber.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, also-- it's Xmas eve, and it;s my birthday, and I couldn't be happier arguing about 30 year old props with people in the internet.

i know I was thinking the same. I love talking props on Xmas eve. Happy Birthday btw!

I guess techincally, V2, V3 (cause the V3 shows up in the throne room right? If so, then this order is correct) then Yuma, then maybe ISYHCANL, then cave (or that last part reversed.)

Are the funeral pyre and cave scenes pick ups-- or just at the end of principle? Cause if they were also pickups, then ISYHCANL could still be first.

In the scene proper with Hamil and Prowse you have some stills with Vader holding the V3, but in the movie in wide shots it's the V2. The stand in shot also looks to be a simple flat backdrop as opposed to the more full set.

..but I'm spit balling...

Are the funeral pyre and cave scenes pick ups-- or just at the end of principle? Cause if they were also pickups, then ISYHCANL could still be first.

In the scene proper with Hamil and Prowse you have some stills with Vader holding the V3, but in the movie in wide shots it's the V2. The stand in shot also looks to be a simple flat backdrop as opposed to the more full set.

..but I'm spit balling...

So I’m probably a bit out of my depth on terminology here. My understanding on the cave and funeral pyre was that they were done long after principle. I think they did at least 2 rough cuts and decided they needed more. Mark came to ILM for. Christmas party and they filmed those scenes. So I don’t know if that’s still called a pickup at that point?

You’re definitely right about the matte painting. For some reason I was thinking it was still more of the old set. But either way, I’m still intrigued because Marquand is in that shot directing it, seemingly alone.

If I am to understand the books correctly, George saw Marquands rough cut and was not happy and got way more involved from then on. That’s why in the BTS of the cave shot, George is with Marquand doing it together. George could still be in the background of course with the ISYHCANL shot too. But my gut is leaning towards cave build last.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pick-ups are generally any singular insert shots or brief scenes, or added angles to existing scenes done after principle has wrapped. Sometimes they are directed by a second unit director, in the case of Star Wars, Lucas could have directed them.

Reshoots are when you are doing new scenes, or re-doing scenes after wrap with a full crew.

So it sounds like the cave and funeral were pick-ups as well. If that’s true, then we could back to where we started. :)

That would also mean the “hero” wasn’t in principle photography at all!

It almost feels like we were there! Interesting thread. Like you say Seth, it makes more sense that they build the hero last, including a more detailed box on top of the same saber base.

Happy birthday Seth! And merry Christmas everybody!!

Nice! The picture I took of my old green PCB w/ red LED's made the saber bible! Really bummed I didn't keep that one. I think that picture was from my sales listing, actually.

SethS just to add a touch more color to this convo now that I’ve had a nights sleep - the cave scenes and funeral pure were shot on Dec 20, 1982. As far as I can tell, most everything that happened after the new year was related to visual effects, score, and stop motion stuff. The only things I can find that were filmed again involving people happened in late February of 83 when they had Mark shoot the funeral pyre again(!) for some reason and there may have been something about an Ewok shot in there. It’s still certainly possible that ISYHCANL pickup still came during that time and was indeed last.

I will say, I do think the ISYHCANL pickup and the cave scene probably happened pretty close to each other, but currently still leaning towards the cave being last. I don’t know the details of this discussion but wouldn’t that make sense though? Isn’t the “hero” missing and the cave build one still left in the archives? Sorta like the ranch saber — Last one used, got saved kinda deal?

Last edited by a moderator:
@SethS just to add a touch more color to this convo now that I’ve had a nights sleep - the cave scenes and funeral pure were shot on Dec 20, 1982. As far as I can tell, most everything that happened after the new year was related to visual effects, score, and stop motion stuff. The only things I can find that were filmed again involving people happened in late February of 83 when they had Mark shoot the funeral pyre again(!) for some reason and there may have been something about an Ewok shot in there. It’s still certainly possible that ISYHCANL pickup still came during that time and was indeed last.

I will say, I do think the ISYHCANL pickup and the cave scene probably happened pretty close to each other, but currently still leaning towards the cave being last. I don’t know the details of this discussion but wouldn’t that make sense though? Isn’t the “hero” missing and the cave build one still left in the archives? Sorta like the ranch saber — Last one used, got saved kinda deal?

I still think the isyhcanl and cave saber are the same saber. The 3 bottom rings in the grenade are identical

I find it hard to believe the prop department would have made 2 sabers with the same exact spacing

I don’t see it hard to believe them hacking up the smooth control box to add electronics real fast

If you look at the control box today it’s a complete hack job

I am on board with tom that the isyhcanl and cave saber are the Yuma saber dresses up and repainted

I completely agree with Seth, the smooth control box is much better looking.

Once I get some extra change and I can bit some more end mill bits, I’m going to fool around with making one

Last edited by a moderator:
I still think the isyhcanl and cave saber are the same saber. The 3 bottom rings in the grenade are identical

I find it hard to believe the prop department would have made 2 sabers with the same exact spacing

I don’t see it hard to believe them hacking up the smooth control box to add electronics real fast

If you look at the control box today it’s a complete hack job

I am on board with tom that the isyhcanl and cave saber are the Yuma saber dresses up and repainted

I completely agree with Seth, the smooth control box is much better looking.

Once I get some extra change and I can bit some more end mill bits, I’m going to fool around with making one

That does, indeed, make sense that they would have just taken the same hilt and then made a new box for that cave scene. But that also supports the theory that the cave came after the pickup since that’s how the prop was left.

So sounds like maybe a primary Yuma became the ISYHCANL, which then became the cave saber and that’s how the prop remained in the archives. Do I have that right? That all seems very plausible to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That does, indeed, make sense that they would have just taken the same hilt and then made a new box for that cave scene. But that also supports the theory that the cave came after the pickup since that’s how the prop was left.

So sounds like maybe a primary Yuma became the ISYHCANL, which then became the cave saber and that’s how the prop remained in the archives. Do I have that right? That all seems very plausible to me.

this is what i believe, but could be totally wrong.

gotta figure out when the ISYHCANL was filmed. if we can prove the was filmed AFTER the cave scene, then we got a ton of new questions

Now that I know the have scene was also a pick up, my initial can be retracted. The pic with Narwuand does imply that the ISYHCANL was EARLY since Lucas showed him the door.

Random question on the cave scene: are the blinking arrows on the saber a practical effect or was that done in post? I’m guessing the latter, but not sure.

Practical effect.

Just to throw gas on a different fire, I'm not sure how many Yumas were made but I'm of a mind that the Yuma in the chin-rest pic, ISYHCANL, Hero are the same thing. It looks like all the holes line up; tri-ring, and control box, too.

Pretty sure it’s practical— probably the reason they needed a bigger box!

I actually just watched the scene like 4 times and changed my mind after I saw one shot where the saber is tilted at a pretty extreme angle but it still looks like the green arrow goes on. I find it hard to believe someone would have gone to that trouble if it was done in Post - not to mention your point about the bigger box. Makes sense. Thanks!

Practical effect.

Just to throw gas on a different fire, I'm not sure how many Yumas were made but I'm of a mind that the Yuma in the chin-rest pic, ISYHCANL, Hero are the same thing. It looks like all the holes line up; tri-ring, and control box, too.

Agreed. If I were a betting man, that’s where I’d place my money.

I'd go so far to say there might just be the one Yuma. I've not seen or heard of any others show up, and that would explain why (and the sheer coincidence that most photos of the Yuma all share eerily similar, if not spot-on, features).

I'd go so far to say there might just be the one Yuma. I've not seen or heard of any others show up, and that would explain why (and the sheer coincidence that most photos of the Yuma all share eerily similar, if not spot-on, features).

I forget, the V3 is there too right?

So maybe it was just the V3 and the Yuma at that point? (And the resin V2 for Luke’s belt climbing the side of the barge).

That would actually make a lot of sense. Explains why those two are the ones left. Because that’s all there was.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back