The Lost World: Jurassic Park - RV Electronics *UPDATED*

Rymo

Sr Member
Franck Galiègue, the owner of the original RV from The Lost World: Jurassic Park, recently asked help in identifying the original electronics that were shown inside the RV in the movie. All of the electronics were removed after filming. I've been helping identify the electronics, and I thought I'd share what I've found so far. Just in case anyone is interested.

First up is this item. I think it's a Furman PL-PLUS Series II power conditioner. It looks like there are three of them in the RV. Two at the top of the electronics rack and one lower down, on the right side.

power conditioner.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 2.03.26 PM copy.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The units below the power conditioner appear to be Carver TFM-15 power amplifiers. There are two of them.

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 2.06.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 2.30.01 PM copy.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The illuminated switch banks appear to be American DJ SC-8FC 8-channel lighting controllers. There are two mounted above the TV monitors, and two more mounted next to the large map.

Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 10.58.56 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 2.03.42 PM copy.jpg

Last edited:
Re: The Lost World: Jurassic Park - RV Electronics

The unit to the left of the power conditioner looks like an ICOM IC-736 HF Transceiver that has been rack mounted.

Transceiver2.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 2.06.47 PM copy.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The satellite phone Malcom is using is a Mitsubishi ST151 MSAT portable satellite phone.

satphone151.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

On the shelf under the equipment rack, you can see Nick's camcorder. The camcorder is a JVC GR-DVM1 and underneath it is the camcorder docking station.

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 3.59.39 PM.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The microscope in the laboratory section of the RV looks like it might be an old Zeiss Axioskop Fluorescence Phase Contrast Microscope. The logo badges on the front look the same, and there's also a small vent on the side that looks the same, too.

microscope.jpg

Last edited:

I've been trying to identify the device hanging on the wall in the laboratory section of the RV. My best guess is that it's an Okaton analog/digital Thermohygrometer. Okaton still makes one currently that looks almost identical.

Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 7.40.38 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Awesome stuff, man! BTW, if you look closely, on one of the monitors, it says "Mobile Field Systems".
19883755_1862695150657493_555464666_n.jpg

Thorne Mobile Field Systems was the company that made the mobile labs in the novel.

I previously thought there were only four of the American DJ SC-8FC lighting controllers in the RV, but I think there are actually five of them. I think there was one mounted in the front of the RV, in the ceiling above the dashboard.

Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 8.59.49 AM copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 9.01.07 AM copy.jpg

Last edited:

I think this item in the lab section of the RV is an old Fisher Scientific plate stirrer, model 11-500-49S. This model is the closest I could find that matches the screen-used item.

plate stirrer comp.jpg

EDIT: I was looking at some photos from an exhibit Universal Studios did back in 1997 which showed some props that were used in The Lost World. I noticed this prop in the exhibit. It's a better view of this device. It looks like the same Fisher Scientific Plate Stirrer to me.

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 6.33.33 PM copy.jpg

Last edited:

The device next to the stirrer appears to be a Mettler Toledo BD202 Analytical Balance.

balance.jpg
fdgdf.jpg

Last edited:

I think the device hanging in the lab area is a Qtronix Scorpius QX-022 numerical keypad.

keypad.jpg

Last edited:

Awesome work so far! I remember as a kid I having the same CTX computer monitor. 14" I think it was.

ctx-1451c-14-crt-vga-monitor-1.39__35425.1490139918.jpg

I'm curious if the phone was a custom job. That would be a cool piece to have.

The rackmount PDU looks like a Wiremold J60B0B

pdu2.png

pdu2.png

Last edited by a moderator:

The ultrasound machine that Sarah uses on the baby T-Rex seems to be a combination of different parts. The main piece appears to be the control panel from a TOSHIBA SSA-340A ultrasound machine. The LCD screen is not the original screen used on that type of ultrasound machine. I am still trying to identify the LCD screen.

ultrasound.jpg

EDIT: There are two more LCD screens hanging in the RV that look identical to the one used for the ultrasound machine.

Last edited:

The ultrasound case looks like a Pelican 1550 (looking at the hinges). Seems about the right size. Here's one in yellow, the silver/gray looks to be a bit more rare. Also, older Pelican cases do not have the exaggerated "bumpers" on the corners. So to be 100% accurate it would have to be one from around 1996 (presumably).

1550.jpg

Was TLW filmed in open matte? If so, an un-cropped scan of the film would really help with the parts identification.

I knew that LCD monitor looked familiar! It is the same monitor that is shown earlier in the film in the scene with Malcom/ Hammond. It looks like it's a CTX PanoView 600 LCD monitor. There are three in the RV. Two are mounted on the walls, and one is used on the ultrasound machine.

Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 1.38.37 PM copy.jpg
monitor2.jpg
monitor.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 1.47.57 PM copy.jpg

EDIT 1: It's interesting that the LCD monitor in Hammond's room has slightly different brand markings compared to the ones used in the trailer. Hammond's has "CTX PanoView" on it, while the ones in the trailer only seem to show "PanoView".

EDIT 2: There are actually 4 of these in the RV. There are 3 used in the rear RV section, and 1 in the front RV section.

Last edited:

Was TLW filmed in open matte? If so, an un-cropped scan of the film would really help with the parts identification.

Yeah, I believe it was shot in open matte. I recently purchased a 35mm trailer of TLW, and the trailer is in open matte.

35mmTrailerSmall.jpg

Last edited:

A friend of mine managed to track down a copy of JP in full 35mm. I speculated that TLW was filmed in a similar manner, and now I need to track down a copy of the full movie in open matte!

The ultrasound probe Sarah uses on the baby t-rex appears to be a Toshiba PVF-375MT ultrasound transducer.

transducer.jpg

Last edited:

I'm curious if the phone was a custom job. That would be a cool piece to have.

Here is a brightened shot of the phone. I personally think it looks like a custom-built prop. But, I could be wrong.

phonebrightened.jpg

Last edited:

There is one scene that shows a quick shot of the interior of the front RV, as seen through the side door. There is a panel on the wall with knobs and fader switches on it. It looks to me like a DOD 822 RM rackmount audio mixer. The knob placement and screw placement looks the same to me. And, if you look closely, you can see the pin striping that is painted along the top of the mixer.

mixer.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back