Help Making A Silicone Mask Of A Clay Mold?

Matt Watson

Hello, I'm new to making masks and doing molds and everything.
I'm a novice.

I have a sculpt (WIP) Of Jason Voorhees from Friday the 13th Part 4: The Final Chapter

This is the first sculpture I've ever done in my life.

I'm wanting to know what the best process would be to be able to take this mold and make a shell over it?
Or have a method of pouring silicone to create a mask out of my clay mold.

My concern comes when looking at all the dips and details in the piece.

What resin should I use? Will it damage or break my sculpture?
Jason1.jpgJason2.jpgJason3.jpgJason4.jpgJason5.jpgJason6.jpg

Last edited:
Given that this is new terrain for you, I would steer you toward making a plaster mold and a latex mask. It's much simpler, much less expensive, and can still yield excellent results, especially for a design like this one that won't get much mobility in the face anyway if it were done in silicone. Best to walk before you run.

To clarify terminology, what you have there is a clay sculpture. You'll make a mold of that, which will be the negative (the "shell" you speak of). Then you'll cast the mask in the mold. Search around for mask making tutorials, as there is a lot of information out there.

The only details that may give you a bit of grief there are the acrylic teeth, since you'll likely be making a hard mold over them and it could lock them in. One option is to remove those teeth before molding, and glue them to the final mask in the sockets that will remain. You could also sculpt them in clay now, instead of using the hard teeth, and then you'd be able to scrape them out of the mold. Just a couple of options to stay on the safe side.

Yeah I planned on removing the teeth as I figured it'd make making a negative hard to take off...
I probably will just reinsert them using clay and paint them later on.

So with plaster would I be splitting the negative into two pieces? then removing them? I'm assuming that plaster would be a solid shell over the mold.

Would I then put the negative over, lets say for example, the armature I used to put the clay on? filling the negative space with latex?

I've been looking around trying to figure out the best method and things are pointing me in tons of different directions.

I'm fine with doing latex and moving up later on, I'm just trying to figure out what the best method of creating a negative would be.
And whether or not that will damage the clay sculpture afterwards.

I'm guessing using the negative I can just make another mold of the sculpture anyway with something other than clay, so it's not all that big a deal.

(Sorry if I sound like a complete idiot with my flawed terminology)

-Build a clay wall that divides the sculpt in two halves

-Apply the plaster in one of the halves

-When it's dry, remove the clay wall, apply a release agent on the plaster underneath (ie wax) and then apply the plaster on the second half

-When it's dry, separate both halves of the plaster shell and remove all the clay. Now you have the mold, which is the negative of your sculpt.

-Close both halves together again and tie them with some tape or belts.

-Pour latex into the mold, move and rotate the mold until latex has touched every surface, then pour the excess of the latex back into the bottle. Wait for the layer of latex to dry. Then repeat this step at least 10 times, until you get the thickness of latex you want for your mask (too thin and it will break, too thick and it will be unwearable.

-Open the mold again and gently remove the latex from the plaster, using talc powder to avoid stickiness.

-Cut the seam line with some scissors, cut the eyes, nose and mouth

-Get some latex painting (or mix your own with acrylics, latex and alcohol) and paint the mask

-Wear it and have fun

This is the easiest way to do it and the first method all beginners should use. Once you get it right you will be able to use more advanced techniques and more expensive matherials, but go for the easy and cheap first because no matter what you'll most likely mess it up. Mask making is very hard, but also rewarding. I encourage you to look for videos on youtube, as there are plenty!

So with plaster would I be splitting the negative into two pieces? then removing them? I'm assuming that plaster would be a solid shell over the mold.
The method of making the mold that Yarko describes is pretty solid. Look at a variety of tutorials, and you'll see what's important.
Would I then put the negative over, lets say for example, the armature I used to put the clay on? filling the negative space with latex?
If you were doing a silicone or foam latex mask, then you'd be doing something like that. The beauty of the latex mask is you're just going to be using the negative, building up a constant thickness. It's a Halloween mask.

I've been looking around trying to figure out the best method and things are pointing me in tons of different directions.

I'm fine with doing latex and moving up later on, I'm just trying to figure out what the best method of creating a negative would be.
And whether or not that will damage the clay sculpture afterwards.
Always expect the clay sculpture to be damaged after molding. Now, don't expect to be able to make a latex mask, and then run a silicone mask out of the same mold. They don't play well together.

I'm guessing using the negative I can just make another mold of the sculpture anyway with something other than clay, so it's not all that big a deal.
In fact, this is how mask companies mass produce latex masks. They'll make a "master mold" of the sculpture, then make a mask casting that's filled with soft foam. They'll use that foamed mask (the "master") to make as many duplicate "production molds" as they need, and be able to make multiple masks at a time, and replace molds that wear out.

(Sorry if I sound like a complete idiot with my flawed terminology)
Not at all. It's jargon, just like any other industry, that you have to be around for a bit to fully understand.

As Yarko said, you're probably going to mess something up your first time. Don't be afraid to. Just go for it and learn for next time.

Yes, if you are carefull with the plaster you can get a bunch of castings from the same plaster mold. You can also buy a stronger plaster like Ultracal, which will be more durable and they work the same way.

Yes ... Never use plaster of Paris for Mold making. It's too weak
Ultracal is a good choice. There are other plaster choices for molds if you do some research.

I have seen people pour latex into the Mold right to the top of the lip. Leave for one hour, then pour out . And stand the Mold dripping over a bucket so the excess drips out. This method save you lifting and handling the heavy plaster Mold on multiple occasions.
Plenty of you tube videos out there to help with the process.

Good luck

I suggest watching Steve Neill's Moonwatcher build tutorial here in this sub forum. He uses BJB TC-1630 resin to make a durable mother mold directly over his clay. It's better than plaster and you can get unlimited runs out these shells.

Yeah I was looking at doing a mold over my clay in Easy Flo 120. I've been watching a lot about it the past few weeks and I feel confident I can do it fine.

Do you think I could do a latex and silicone pour in the same negative mold?

I really want to do silicone masks (I'm young and want to sell these :/) , and while I know it's difficult and expensive, money and time isn't a big issue for me.
I already have the process of doing a silicone pour pretty well down and understood.

But I know latex is cheaper and easier and people like them.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back