Resistance Crait Macrobinoculars / Neuro-Saav ND.621 Rangefinder (TLJ VD)

Red Hawk

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So after spending many more hours than I care to admit to my wife, though happy to share with my fellow addicts here, I found and was able to procure the basis for the macros the Resistance used in the old rebel base on Crait, at least the ones shown in the Visual Dictionary for The Last Jedi. Pics here are of the Bell & Howell Zoomatic Director Series with Electric Eye, specifically the one with the tri lenses. There are quite a few tells on this specific camera that make me pretty sure it’s the right one though there is also the issue of those missing lines on the sides, could be same camera different model or could just be an added greeblie. Let me know what you guys think.

VD_Macros.jpg

BH_1.jpeg

BH_2.jpeg

BH_3.jpeg

BH_4.jpeg

I've always had a soft spot for old cameras like this one. As a matter of fact, before I really got into prop making I was trying to get my hands on one of these cameras. Kinda wish I had, now that I know it would be a great addition to my SW collection. hahaha

Also, I think they just added greeblies.

The only mod I can see is removing the crank and adding a viewer. I've got my own on the way, so we'll have to compare notes when I start my build. :)

You got it @anakinstarkiller. Not sure about the two screws / nuts / whatever added to the front glass viewer and then adding those four lines on either side of the case, was thinking some kind of rubber stripping just painted and glued in place. The case for the camera itself comes with a pretty long leather strap that might be usable, will have to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much is the going rate for the camera?

I bought this one from a camera collector I know for $35 and a cup of coffee and I have another coming off eBay that I paid $20 + shipping. There are plenty of Zoomatics out there, just be sure to find one with the tri lens.

I've seen em on eBay for about $30 and up, not including shipping.

You may want to hit your local thrift stores, antique stores, etc. Even if you don't find one of the right cameras, you may find a decent donor for greeblies for cheap.

all the tri lens version are gone that I can see. I bought one last night for $40 and a few minutes later the guy refunded my money and cancelled the sale...... :(

I had a look but couldn't find any Zoomatics. I did come across a Bell & Howell Sportster IV vintage camera though, which to me looks almost exactly the same as the Zoomatic. Only differences I can see really are the text and one black trapezoid shaped greeblie below the Animation/Stop/Run/Slow Motion selector which would need removed and replaced with a different greeblie.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I have this one (with original case) on the way - got it for £15 including delivery.

Started disassembling the Zoomatic. Was hoping to find some of the top greeblies hiding under the black faux leather cover but no luck with the square piece or the small black knob near the bottom of the VD pic. Howlrunner have you started tearing your Sportser down yet? Be interested to see if the cameras have the same tops, if so then I’ll start crafting up some custom greeblies.

05FF54F4-0C3F-4801-B40D-0111FBB6F1DC.jpeg

Parts of Star Wars on FaceBook - https://www.facebook.com/PartsofSW/...037424152213/1413362848786325/?type=3&theater - have identified the camera as the Bell & Howell
Director Series Design 410 8mm movie camera - so that's another option.

They've also identified the strap mounts Talon - Sling Swivel and Screw Set (1-inch) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJEQXYC?th=1&psc=1 and think that the strap is from a Yugoslav National Army (JNA) leather magazine pouch as used for the Shoretroopers in Rogue One.

And they think that the screw mount on the Bell & Howell camera was covered with a small strip of rubber First Order Stormtrooper belt material (4 ridges wide).

Parts of Star Wars on FaceBook - https://www.facebook.com/PartsofSW/...037424152213/1413362848786325/?type=3&theater - have identified the camera as the Bell & Howell
Director Series Design 410 8mm movie camera - so that's another option.

They've also identified the strap mounts Talon - Sling Swivel and Screw Set (1-inch) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJEQXYC?th=1&psc=1 and think that the strap is from a Yugoslav National Army (JNA) leather magazine pouch as used for the Shoretroopers in Rogue One.

And they think that the screw mount on the Bell & Howell camera was covered with a small strip of rubber First Order Stormtrooper belt material (4 ridges wide).

That's everything we've been able to ID so far. The strap is a "best guess" as everything lines up, but of course there are no distinctive markings left on the binocular strap.
We've been looking at this prop since The Last Jedi Visual Dictionary leaked awhile back. We waited to make sure the prop was visible on screen (so many background props end up in those books). It was awesome to see Poe with it and we ordered our cameras as soon as the movie ended :)
I was hoping to spot the unknown greeblies on other Last Jedi props, but no luck yet.
Might not get much further until better reference is available. Fingers crossed this thing shows up in an exhibit!

PS - The leather strap was removed for the movie so it's kind of an optional accessory. They did leave the mounting screws for the sling mounts.
SaveSave

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back