Resistance Crait Macrobinoculars / Neuro-Saav ND.621 Rangefinder (TLJ VD)

Parts of Star Wars on FaceBook - https://www.facebook.com/PartsofSW/...037424152213/1413362848786325/?type=3&theater - have identified the camera as the Bell & Howell
Director Series Design 410 8mm movie camera - so that's another option.

They've also identified the strap mounts Talon - Sling Swivel and Screw Set (1-inch) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJEQXYC?th=1&psc=1 and think that the strap is from a Yugoslav National Army (JNA) leather magazine pouch as used for the Shoretroopers in Rogue One.

And they think that the screw mount on the Bell & Howell camera was covered with a small strip of rubber First Order Stormtrooper belt material (4 ridges wide).

That's everything we've been able to ID so far. The strap is a "best guess" as everything lines up, but of course there are no distinctive markings left on the binocular strap.
We've been looking at this prop since The Last Jedi Visual Dictionary leaked awhile back. We waited to make sure the prop was visible on screen (so many background props end up in those books). It was awesome to see Poe with it and we ordered our cameras as soon as the movie ended :)
I was hoping to spot the unknown greeblies on other Last Jedi props, but no luck yet.
Might not get much further until better reference is available. Fingers crossed this thing shows up in an exhibit!

PS - The leather strap was removed for the movie so it's kind of an optional accessory. They did leave the mounting screws for the sling mounts.
SaveSave

Well-done... Do we have a source for the "small strip of rubber First Order Stormtrooper belt material (4 ridges wide)."

Last edited by a moderator:
Well-done... Do we have a source for the "small strip of rubber First Order Stormtrooper belt material (4 ridges wide)."

I was working on it, but it seems the First Order trooper costumers don't have a source that they're sharing with each other.
There are FO replica belt makers that sell belt kits and completed belts. We might have to see if they'll sell their scrap cutoffs. Not much is needed for the binoculars.

I was working on it, but it seems the First Order trooper costumers don't have a source that they're sharing with each other.
There are FO replica belt makers that sell belt kits and completed belts. We might have to see if they'll sell their scrap cutoffs. Not much is needed for the binoculars.

Maybe they used a basic rubber floor mat?
Rubber floor mat kopie.jpg

That's everything we've been able to ID so far. The strap is a "best guess" as everything lines up, but of course there are no distinctive markings left on the binocular strap.
We've been looking at this prop since The Last Jedi Visual Dictionary leaked awhile back. We waited to make sure the prop was visible on screen (so many background props end up in those books). It was awesome to see Poe with it and we ordered our cameras as soon as the movie ended :)
I was hoping to spot the unknown greeblies on other Last Jedi props, but no luck yet.
Might not get much further until better reference is available. Fingers crossed this thing shows up in an exhibit!

PS - The leather strap was removed for the movie so it's kind of an optional accessory. They did leave the mounting screws for the sling mounts.
SaveSave

Great work, Chris!! Now just to ID the viewer and the two small, white circle greeblies on the front and we’re in good shape. Might have to wait for the Blu-ray for those.

Great work, Chris!! Now just to ID the viewer and the two small, white circle greeblies on the front and we’re in good shape. Might have to wait for the Blu-ray for those.

The viewer might be a resin cast project for trooper like he did with the Luke hero macro...

Could the Stormtrooper belts they used actually be a serpentine belt used on car engines? Many different styles and rib choices.

- Jim

The trooper belts are rubber floor matting. McMaster Carr used to have the right size, but they no longer carry it.
I forgot I still had some scrap pieces in a parts box. The same stuff is used for C-3PO's midsection.
I picked mine up years ago at Home Depot (or maybe Lowes?) IIRC last I looked they didn't carry it anymore either. It was on the big rolls by the outdoor carpet etc.
A 1/2 inch strip works great. It's a little over 4 ridges. Matches the prop pic perfectly.

Last edited:
Received my Sportster yesterday and stripped it down this morning - had to completely dismantle the thing to try to get the black trapezoidal greeblie off as I thought it was screwed on from the inside. Turns out it was just glued on. :facepalm Still, I probably wouldn't have gotten it off without applying hard pressure from the inside through the pre-cut slot.

But man is the glue that the faux leather is stuck down with disgusting!

hK6IBQm.jpg

C7DL6ox.jpg

Looks to me as if the shell of the Sportster and the Zoomatic are exactly the same, except for the slot in the Sportster next to the three holes (which is an easy fill and weather over if needed).

Received my Sportster yesterday and stripped it down this morning - had to completely dismantle the thing to try to get the black trapezoidal greeblie off as I thought it was screwed on from the inside. Turns out it was just glued on. :facepalm Still, I probably wouldn't have gotten it off without applying hard pressure from the inside through the pre-cut slot.

But man is the glue that the faux leather is stuck down with disgusting!

https://i.imgur.com/hK6IBQm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/C7DL6ox.jpg

Looks to me as if the shell of the Sportster and the Zoomatic are exactly the same, except for the slot in the Sportster next to the three holes (which is an easy fill and weather over if needed).

Looks great, Howlrunner! Nice job getting it all torn down. At least all that awful glue holding the faux leather gave you a great weathered look!

Also agreed that both versions of the camera look just about exactly the same. I was hoping we’d see that small, black cylindrical looking greeblie on yours under the black trapezoid but oh well must have just been added after.

This is my first post, here, having found RPF only recently while researching info on this very prop. My Ebay Bell and Howell arrived a few days ago and I got started stripping and gutting it today. Still have to clean up leftover glue from pulling up the leather material. No big hurry as there's not a lot more I'll want to do 'till more detailed pictures turn up. Inner mechanics came out fairly easily, although I did have to pry (carefully) a little bit with a screwdriver. I took the larger dial above the lens off (marked perpetua on mine, sportster on others) because, to my eye, the one in the LJVD picture looks like it's been replaced with something a little smaller diameter and taller with, maybe, a lighter button in the middle and a lever? Was hoping that there might be parts underneath the original button, but no. I also got the sling swivels (1 inch) shown in a previous post. They are close, and probably good enough, but I'm not convinced they are perfect. On holding them up to the camera body, they look the right size but are definitely big. I can understand why they would not have used them, with the strap, for the scene. Can't wait to see more detailed pictures of the actual prop, and what others here come up with.
new.jpggutted.jpgstripped.jpgbutton.jpg

So I received the First Order Stormtrooper belt from Trooper Bay. The spacing and height and shape of the ridges I think are off. I guess it’s possible that this material was used with four individual strips being cut from it and possibly being rounded more. It’s also entirely possible that the actual FO Trooper belt material was used and this reproduction is not precisely the same as that one. What do you guys think?

623573E6-7220-402E-BFFE-564454AFE66F_zpslzqtrk9w.jpg

C3765BDC-294D-4FF5-B96A-9711E686E77E_zpszrt0jghf.jpg

FE59271B-A8AB-4D37-B844-FE7A8C03EF9E_zpsg7expe7c.jpg

3A4844D8-8F20-4F8F-96BD-2E9EF718F310_zpsnqcemxhs.jpg

So I received the First Order Stormtrooper belt from Trooper Bay. The spacing and height and shape of the ridges I think are off. I guess it’s possible that this material was used with four individual strips being cut from it and possibly being rounded more. It’s also entirely possible that the actual FO Trooper belt material was used and this reproduction is not precisely the same as that one. What do you guys think?

The ribbed material used by FO belt makers is incorrect. It's way too thick. The actual screen used belts use a thinner ridged material glued to a layer of foam rubber (the two layers tend to separate). While the rubber material they're using makes for studier belts, it doesn't work for our needs.

The rubber sheet I used in my post above is the correct thickness and works well.

The ribbed material used by FO belt makers is incorrect. It's way too thick. The actual screen used belts use a thinner ridged material glued to a layer of foam rubber (the two layers tend to separate). While the rubber material they're using makes for studier belts, it doesn't work for our needs.

The rubber sheet I used in my post above is the correct thickness and works well.

The one you have there is definitely closer than this one from Trooper Bay, certainly has a closer rounded top. Where is that strip from? I’m still not 100% convinced that it’s exact since it appears that the strips in the VD image are deeper and sit more flush to the sides of the camera. It’s probably too much work for a prop maker to do it this way, but could they have taken a strip like the one you have and cut it into strips to get the depth correct?

It looks that between the ribs the camerabody is visible. Maybe they drilled 4 holes on both sides and put 4 metal bended rods on. That's a quick job for a prop maker.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back