zenix's The Last Jedi - Build thread- Rose's jewelry, dice, necklace, ring, and more!

Re: zenix's The Last Jedi - Build thread- Rose's jewelry, dice, necklace, ring, and m

Great. That all I need since we have both sides now!

Curious... What's launch bay?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Launch bay is a exhibit in Disneyland/world

They tend to have some props on display and rotate them from time to time

Re: zenix's The Last Jedi - Build thread- Rose's jewelry, dice, necklace, ring, and m

I was hoping someone good do a good ring replica. Hopefully we can get one in a size 10 :) I'll be watching here and the junkyard. Looks great so far!

I was hoping someone good do a good ring replica. Hopefully we can get one in a size 10 :) I'll be watching here and the junkyard. Looks great so far!

Zenix has some amazing metal casting skills! you won't be disappointed, im so excited to see where he goes with this

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the ring and immediately wanted to build one. What size aperture are you using? I decided on a 1-16mm aperture but I still dont know if that's the right one. I'm also having my face parts laser cut to be as accurate as possible. Please keep us updated with your process and specs!

poking at the cad model for the necklace. Here's a little update. I restarted once I got the new pics. The new photos help a lot. I'm almost done the back side. Here's most of the front. Work in progress:

necklace progress.png

You've made some really great stuff!! I noticed the dice in the background. I'm really interested in making these too. I've seen TLJ twice now and I could only spot a few sides of the dice. I also purchased The Last Jedi visual guide and it doesn't show the dice at all. I'm kinda stuck. How did you figure out all the symbols?

Updated Rose's necklace sketch:
rose front compage.png

You've made some really great stuff!! I noticed the dice in the background. I'm really interested in making these too. I've seen TLJ twice now and I could only spot a few sides of the dice. I also purchased The Last Jedi visual guide and it doesn't show the dice at all. I'm kinda stuck. How did you figure out all the symbols?

I'm actually making those dice in gold plated stainless steel. Check for the run.

It was a lot of frame by frame research, images from the VD and Art Of book.

Attachments

• rose render top.PNG
    rose render top.PNG
    146 KB · Views: 301

I'm actually making those dice in gold plated stainless steel. Check for the run.

It was a lot of frame by frame research, images from the VD and Art Of book.

Cool and thanks. I'm looking forward to your updates!

For the dice, I've been going on the assumption of 19mm, which is the larger one of the two common sizes (16mmv19mm cubes) for numerous reasons. In Kylo's hand, and Leia's hand it appears to be larger size, plus I think they'd use the larger of the two sizes to show detail better on screen. Plus from having these and holding them, 16mm feels too small and 19mm feels right.

Based on 19mm, I scaled this image so the dice were 19mm from edge to edge in AutoCAD, and then measured the chain length. That magenta line in the image goes across 16 loops and measures 62.5mm long. I divided 62.5/16 and got an average loop length of 3.9mm. I've found 3.9mm rolo chain. I was about to grab some but then I realized my measuring mistake... I hadn't accounted for the overlap of each link, meaning each link is actually larger than I had measured. The next step up is 4.5mm chain, so I might be going with that. It's pretty fuzzy when you zoom in this much so it's hard to say. I'll likely revisit this again before ordering chain to double check. When scaling the image to set it to the right size based on the size of the dice, you get into some fuzzy measurements when you're trying to pick which pixel is the edge of the die to set that 19mm length. So for now, I'm going to wait a few days before placing a chain order, and will measure a few times again in the mean time.
chain type.png

I've rescaled a couple of times and remeasured and I'm getting around 4.0-4.2mm for the length of measuring each chain link individually, so maybe 3.9 is still right, maybe I'll find a 4.0mm bulk to order. We'll see.

Yea, after a few more measures I'm convinced it's the 3.9 size, so I'm going with that.

Last edited:

zenix, check out my dice thread here: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=285252

I jumped between 16mm and 19mm also. I settled on 16mm only because Kylo's hands are much larger than Luke or Leia's, and the dice in the Force Awakens Visual Dictionary appeared to be standard 16mm dice.

I also just finished 3D printing a prototype of my design. I am happy with the 16mm. However, since the prop is made from scratch, they don't have to be any standard dice size.

I selected a 4mm x 17cm chain. This was reversed from a 16mm die. I should have the dice in brass and the chain in gold in a few weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

@zenix, check out my dice thread here: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=285252

I jumped between 16mm and 19mm also. I settled on 16mm only because Kylo's hands are much larger than Luke or Leia's, and the dice in the Force Awakens Visual Dictionary appeared to be standard 16mm dice.

I also just finished 3D printing a prototype of my design. I am happy with the 16mm. However, since the prop is made from scratch, they don't have to be any standard dice size.

I selected a 4mm x 17cm chain. This was reversed from a 16mm die. I should have the dice in brass and the chain in gold in a few weeks.
The VD ones are totally different though, and I don't see how you're getting any info on side from those photos anyway.

My hands are on the smaller side
d042e3816a568da0f2d60b506fcdfb06.jpg
ea897336e15f735413a566fecdd1e298.jpg
b60c06e705921f90ed998bd259dcf302.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Has anyone found a source for the iris used in the movie for the rebel ring ? I can't seam to find one with the right kind of closure.

Has anyone found a source for the iris used in the movie for the rebel ring ? I can't seam to find one with the right kind of closure.
Yes I'm using the right one from now on. Im hesitant to link it here since it's public and j don't want a rush of orders on the site since there's only one source and they might sell out or jack up the price. You can pm me for it or look around a lil more.

Exciting update on the dice! Here's the raw cast brass master.

This is an intermediate step.

It'll be used to make the silicone wax injection molds for the next step. Those waxes will then be put in investment for lost wax casting to make the steel version, which will be gold plated.

3e804df6ba7ba90f69d5e0e20801ebee.jpg
8d6ff44c7b9e0e9ff94d2ccff3c64fd3.jpg

WOW dude they look awesome.

Yes I'm using the right one from now on. Im hesitant to link it here since it's public and j don't want a rush of orders on the site since there's only one source and they might sell out or jack up the price. You can pm me for it or look around a lil more.

Exciting update on the dice! Here's the raw cast brass master.

This is an intermediate step.

It'll be used to make the silicone wax injection molds for the next step. Those waxes will then be put in investment for lost wax casting to make the steel version, which will be gold plated.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171227/3e804df6ba7ba90f69d5e0e20801ebee.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171227/8d6ff44c7b9e0e9ff94d2ccff3c64fd3.jpg

So here's my rev 2 prototype, plus some awesome research.

We discovered that the iris was correct, but that the back blades had been removed for for screen used prop. I couldn't understand why we were able to see the full logo beign revealed on screen, without seeing the second set of blades, and why did the logo look so close, and not as deep down in there as I had made in my first two prototypes? It was because of the second set being removed. It sure was a pain to do it, but I've got it down and can do it.

I also discovered that the black iris is actually just a brass casing coated with black! I can brush it off and expose the brass.

iris inside.pngbrass disc.pngbrass construction.pngbrass brush.jpgiris inside2.pngresistance_ring.jpgsteel one piece.jpgtapatalk_1513990072701.pnguntitled.7.jpg

Amazing work! I hope you will make a run of those rings....

Last edited:

I love what you've done with the dice, outstanding work! I definitely need a set of these for my car!...(erm....i mean starship....cough.....)

Rich

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back