Subscribe
    Dec 17, 2017, 4:57 PM - Tusken Raider on a shoestring (pic-heavy build log - full costume complete!) #1

After seeing Ace Cosplay's £20 Tusken Raider mask build on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KvfpfGOc2c), I realised just how cheaply you could get a fairly accurate Sandperson get-up. I've never made a full size prop before, but I have customised scale kits and some scratch-building. So, with modest skills and zero 1:1 experience, here goes my first prop/costume build! I might get chance to wear this to an event, in which case I'll continue and do the rest. That doesn't look too pricey except for the bandolier and any weapons you choose to make.

In the unlikely case you need a reminder, here's one of the fellas...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tuskenraider.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	780595

The aim is screen accurate from a distance. I'll be going for the overall look rather than exact measurements.

Name:	IMG_0659.jpg 
Views:	610 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	780578
    Materials so far... Foam sheets for padding - £1 each. Six plastic champagne flutes the exact taper for the eyepieces - £1. A set of rather odd pens that look about right for the main shaft of the blood-spitters, 99p. Various old belts. Still a lot to buy or find but I'm scouring the house to see what I can forage first.

So, greeblies first...

Name:	IMG_0661.jpg 
Views:	609 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	780579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0663.jpg 
Views:	601 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	780580

These pens are somewhat over engineered. I save the odd roller ball thing on the end in case it comes in useful and chop the nib section off to form the start of my first blood-spitter. As luck would have it, a length of Plastistruct tube I had knocking around fitted snugly through the opening that was left, and the measurements look about right (I found some plans originally from Kraytclan.com).

Name:	IMG_0668.jpg 
Views:	605 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	780581Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0669.jpg 
Views:	605 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	780582

The eyepieces looked like the most difficult part, so I was keen to find something the right shape. I spent a while looking at plastic shot glasses but these plastic flutes turned out to have the right taper. I set about scribing the lines around the circumference then sawing the first one up.

Name:	IMG_0671.jpg 
Views:	606 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	780584

These offcuts might work for the respirator ends - what do you reckon?

Name:	IMG_0674.jpg 
Views:	602 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	780585Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0675.jpg 
Views:	601 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	780586

I used pretty much the same process to cut the slots that sit on the underside of the eyepieces. The flutes are a bit thin, so I put another on inside and used the outer one as a guide to create an inner sleeve. This doubled the thickness and made it a lot stronger and look a lot more substantial.

Name:	IMG_0676.jpg 
Views:	599 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	780587

And so here's the first rough eyepiece. It needs the two parts gluing and then some serious sanding and filling. By the way, the slots are a little wide, but not quite as wide as the perspective of the camera makes them look. The next job is to do the same for the other side!

Thanks for reading!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0670.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	780583  
    Last edited by Automaton; Mar 7, 2018 at 2:17 PM.
    From
    Norfolk, UK
    Dec 17, 2017, 5:52 PM - Re: Tusken Raider mask on a shoestring (pic-heavy build log) #2

Subbed to this one, looking forward to the results :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dec 18, 2017, 8:46 AM - Re: Tusken Raider mask on a shoestring (pic-heavy build log) #3

Love to see the creativity going into the various parts!
    Dec 19, 2017, 5:54 PM - Re: Tusken Raider mask on a shoestring (pic-heavy build log) #4

Cheers!

I bought these brushes to cut down into head spikes. Actually, they're a little too skinny. Never mind. They'll come in useful...

Name:	IMG_0679.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	780987

So, I have two blood-spitters and two rough eyepieces now. They're not as thick as metal parts but still feel sort of substantial. Lots of filling and filing to do...

I was working out what to use as the basis for the teeth, when my eyes wandered over to my toothpick container.

Name:	IMG_0681.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	780988

I think that'll do just fine as a base! Those blood-spitters are a little skinny. I might see what else I can forage.

Name:	IMG_0684.jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	780989
    Dec 22, 2017, 12:08 PM - Re: Tusken Raider mask on a shoestring (pic-heavy build log) #5

I'll get some opportunity to whittle the eyepieces and do the cardboard mask innards over Christmas. The leatherette arrived – £4.99 and enough to do the mask, the respirator and (if I back some on to card) a couple of bandoliers. It's not brilliant, but should look OK. It wad some creases from being folded so I'm doing some "pre-aging" to lose them a little, like so. I'll give it a light press with a cold iron to flatten the creasing for the bandolier, but hopefully this will look a little more organic.

Name:	IMG_0696 (1).jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	781566

I also bought these to make head spikes. £2.98 including postage for 5.

Name:	Portable-Acrylic-Finger-Cone-Model-Ring-Storage-And-Carrying-Stand-Rack-Holder-Counter-Top-Mini-.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	781567

Current inventory and costs:

- Cardboard: free
    - Plastic glasses: £1
    - Weird kid's pens: £1
    - Plastistrukt tube: leftovers from my Dewey model
    - Leatherette: £4.99
    - Ring cones: £2.98
    - Paper fasteners: from the drawer (to use as studs on the bandoliier)
    - Old belts: free
    - EVA foam: £3
    - Lenses: Recycled from old sunglasses
    - Chrome spraypaint: leftovers from BB-8
    - Milliput: From my doomsday-prepper-level cache of the stuff
    - Respirator parts: All old containers/bottle tops from the cupboard and parts of the pens.
    - Galvanized wire: from the drawer
    - Various chalk pastels for weathering: from the drawer
    - Newspaper: free
    - PVA: from the drawer
    - Black artist's acrylic: from the drawer

£12.97 plus perhaps £7-8 of existing/leftover material

I think I have all I need for the mask except a tube for the respirator some khaki material to wrap the head. I'm not sure how much I need, but I'll get a couple of metres so I have enough for the rest of the costume. Hoping I can get something about £3/m. I'm looking at some fine-weave burlap for the robes. That'll be about the same price so I have about another £20 to spend on materials.

So this entire costume (sans any weapons and outer robe) should come in at around £40-50 including the value of the materials I already have... A little more if I use rattle can primer. I might use cheapo stuff for this. I think I only need one new tool: a rivet to fasten the bandolier together. If I'm lucky, my holepunch *might* have a rivet on it but need to check.
    Feb 11, 2018, 4:39 PM - Re: Tusken Raider on a shoestring (pic-heavy build log) #6

Back on this. The mask is going slow. I've decided to use air-dry clay for the teeth and then use Milliput and a lot of elbow grease to refine them. I might regret it later when I've been sanding and filling cracks for hours, but I won't need to buy any extra materials.

Name:	IMG_0773.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	795027

Next is the respirator. I had a few bits I could make these out of, but the leftover bottoms of the plastic champagne flutes turned over and stuck on the base gave the nicest proportions. A little more rounded than the real thing, but as I said I'm going cheap and aesthetically good rather than screen accurate. The main body of the respirator is a peppercorn cannister cut down to size. I put a length of styrene tube through the entire thing to make it easier to thread the wired PVC tube that'll go round my neck.

Name:	IMG_0769.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	795026

Next, a bandolier using the leatherette. I eyeballed a template based on some images I found on the Krayt Clan site from a member who deconstructed a P-1903 bandolier. I got the flap a little short, but the look is OK. Sort of a cross between a P-1903 and a Mauser bandolier. The buttons are paper fasteners, of which I have a boxful in the office. Again, no extra cost. Oh yeah, The leatherette is pretty thin so didn't bother riveting – it's held together with staples and double-sided carpet tape.

Name:	IMG_0774.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	795028

And here's everything after some paint. I creased and weathered the fake leather with some Tamiya red brown, as well as painting the edges and visible lining so it looked more like real leather. Even with the flaps being too short, I think it's alright for a couple of hours work. I sprayed the respirator silver. That needs its tube and I'm going to cover a couple of gaps with Milliput and paint them flat aluminium to look like solder joints.

Name:	IMG_0778.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	795029
    Feb 12, 2018, 9:55 AM - Re: Tusken Raider on a shoestring (pic-heavy build log) #7

Looking great
    Feb 14, 2018, 1:55 PM - Re: Tusken Raider on a shoestring (pic-heavy build log) #8

Name:	IMG_0787.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	795637

Spare cardboard = free, rubbish masking tape = free. Ready to be papier maché'd tomorrow. It's a little bit wonky, but so were the real raiders. The bottom third of the mask will be EVA foam so I can take the thing on and off.

Name:	IMG_0790.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	795636

The khaki wrap material arrived. Slightly dark but I can weather it lighter. You can def go too light on the head and foot wraps for a '77 look.
    Feb 17, 2018, 2:24 PM - Re: Tusken Raider on a shoestring (pic-heavy build log) #9

It's been a busy couple of days, so a big update! First, papier mache'd the mask for some extra durability

Name:	IMG_0792.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	796350
    Then on to adding the fake and real leather. This went pretty quickly. Note the screws set in to position the blood spitters with the help of some Milliput.

Name:	IMG_0795.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	796351

Found these in the drawer... perfect lens donors!

Name:	IMG_0796.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	796352

Blood spitters attached and darkened round the eyes, where the edges will be visible through the eyepieces. I'm putting extra rings of leatherette around the base of those to help mount them.

Name:	IMG_0799.jpg 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	796353
    Next, head spikes - cutting down the acrylic ring displays so they have a blunt tip...

Name:	IMG_0801.jpg 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	796354Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0802.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	796355

And, finally for now, a very rough mock-up of everything stuck together with tape!

Name:	IMG_0804.jpg 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	796356
    From
    Sweden
    Feb 17, 2018, 2:40 PM - Re: Tusken Raider on a shoestring (pic-heavy build log) #10

A little suggestion, do not have the lenses from the glasses on the helmet. They are going to fog up, better to use some tight black weave or net to cover the mouth and eye parts. You will get more air into the helmet as well.
    Feb 17, 2018, 2:50 PM - Re: Tusken Raider on a shoestring (pic-heavy build log) #11

Contec said: View Post
    A little suggestion, do not have the lenses from the glasses on the helmet. They are going to fog up, better to use some tight black weave or net to cover the mouth and eye parts. You will get more air into the helmet as well.
    Cheers! They're only taped in so might well make that swap. I'm looking at building some more vents in, too.
    Feb 18, 2018, 6:52 PM - Re: Tusken Raider on a shoestring (pic-heavy build log) #12

Another very busy day! The eyepieces are done. The plastic flutes ended up horrible to work and filler just wouldn't stick properly, so I weathered in the imperfections with some rust. Which is fine, as I love painting rust! I also painted any of the raw edges of the pleather to make it look a little less fake.

Name:	IMG_0806.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	796617

Next, head spikes. These are mounted on screws and Miliput, just like the blood spitters.

Name:	IMG_0807.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	796618

Head and boots wrapped. The boots are some old rubber boots I had lying around and so far the 2m of khaki canvas has gone far – i still have enough for some arm wraps. I weathered both with chalk pastels, which has lightened the colour a bit and made the wraps much closer the screen colours. The head spikes are a little large, but I think the overall effect is okay. Also got some cheap canvas gardening gloves and weathered those.

Name:	IMG_0809.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	796619
    Mar 7, 2018, 2:16 PM - Re: Tusken Raider on a shoestring (pic-heavy build log) #13

Well, I finished it and wore it out to a SW themed event! Not too bad for my first costume, although not entirely accurate. I made an extremely hasty gaffi stick out of wrapping paper tubes at the last minute!!!

The total cost is:
    - Cardboard: free
    - Plastic glasses: £1
    - Weird kid's pens: £1
    - Plastistrukt tube: leftovers from my Dewey model
    - Leatherette: £4.99
    - Ring cones: £2.98
    - Paper fasteners: from the drawer (to use as studs on the bandoliier)
    - Old belts: free
    - EVA foam: £3
    - Lenses: Recycled from old sunglasses
    - Chrome spraypaint: leftovers from BB-8
    - Milliput: From my doomsday-prepper-level cache of the stuff
    - Respirator parts: All old containers/bottle tops from the cupboard and parts of the pens.
    - Galvanized wire: from the drawer
    - Various chalk pastels for weathering: from the drawer
    - Newspaper: free
    - PVA: from the drawer
    - Black artist's acrylic: from the drawer
    - A generous amount of khaki canvasl: £10.58
    - PVC tube: £1.94
    - Gloves: £2.99
    - 2 x B&Q cotton dust sheets: £26
    - Air-dry clay: from the cupboard
    - Stockingette roll (sash, neck seal): £4.12 for 5m
    - Old rubber boots: under the bed
    - Safety pins: in the drawer
    - Lots more leftover cardboard: free
    - Endless gaffer tape and masking tape: from the tape collection
    - I had to replenish some glue, but I won't count that as I still have a lot left

£58.60 plus bits I scavenged. Not bad! I have a few bits I bought and didn't use, but they'll go toward different projects. Pics (the important bits):

Name:	IMG_0891.JPG 
Views:	179 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	800711

Name:	IMG_0892.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	800714

Name:	IMG_0889.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	800713
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Mar 8, 2018, 6:32 AM - Re: Tusken Raider on a shoestring (pic-heavy build log - full costume complete!) #14

Excellent ... well done ... and even compared to my 3 3/4" action figures ... spot on

Chaïm
    Mar 8, 2018, 9:48 AM - Tusken Raider on a shoestring (pic-heavy build log - full costume complete!) #15

Excellent, just the tunics and gloves are too clean and light. Probably should dye them a little darker. And make them dirter, stained and battered.
    Kudos!
  16. RPF Premium Member propmainiac's Avatar
    Mar 8, 2018, 12:48 PM - Re: Tusken Raider on a shoestring (pic-heavy build log - full costume complete!) #16

That looks great! I may have to do this just to display the mask! I've been wanting to do a Gaffi stick also.
    Mar 21, 2018, 8:16 PM - Re: Tusken Raider on a shoestring (pic-heavy build log - full costume complete!) #17

Looks very well done.