Bandai Millenium Falcon 006 small kit, second build with upgrade 3D printed parts!

ecl

Sr Member
I’m working on painting/building another one of the small Bandai falcons. I purchased a set of 3D printed upgrade parts on Shapeways created by “The Age of Plastic”. The parts are really amazingly well done—had no idea 3D printing could yield these kinds of details on this scale. The cockpit canopy and antenna dish alone are great upgrades. I’ve installed upgraded sidewalls, antenna, turret windows, and also replaced the detailed portions of the 4 upper “maintenance circles” -or whatever they’re called (the last pic shows the stock maintenance pit parts; new ones are in the second pic. Basically the stock ones have too much piping detail in these areas, as well as the curved sidewalls on the sides of the ship). I’m trying to give this one an even better paint job than the first one I did (stock without any upgraded parts).

Here are a few pics. Sorry, they’re iphone pics, so not very good. I’ll be taking better photos after more work is completed. The phone camera has a way of making the details look rough, probably because it’s such a small scale. The cockpit interior is coming in the mail so I haven’t worked on that yet.

qkRxedA.jpg

oZEUBrJ.jpg

NdmPPb5.jpg

Re: Bandai Millenium Falcon 006 small kit, second build with upgrade 3D printed parts

Great paint job!

Re: Bandai Millenium Falcon 006 small kit, second build with upgrade 3D printed parts

Amazing. I don't know how you do it...

Yeah, fantastic paint so far, looks great!

What they said. Its hard to believe this is the small Bandai falcon, excellent job sir!

That paint job is unreal looks strait out of the movie you really nailed it with those colors.

Thanks everyone! I really love these tiny kits; they’re a challenge to paint because everything has to be considerably scaled down to look convincing. Basically working very slow with tiny brushes, and also the pastels help to make it look convincing as it’s so fine to work with—although applying the pastels is a challenge in itself. I’m still using Q-tips as they’re really soft and provide an almost airbrush effect. I pluck some of the fuzz off them to make them a bit smaller in order to make smaller marks. Also, the details in this kit are so amazingly small that it’s kind of hard to believe!

The rest of the 3D printed parts arrived a few days ago, so I’m working on finishing up the cockpit parts. Will post new pics afterwards!

Cool. What are you using to seal the pastels?

I’m using the Tamiya matte clear to seal the pastels. It seems to do a really job. Just a light mist of it is enough—you don’t want to spray it on too wet or else it might affect the pastels. After it dries, just give it another light spray. Pretty cool to see what’s possible with these small sized kits.

I worked on the cockpit finally! Damn it’s so small haha. Kind of ridiculous there’s even an interior cockpit. Lighting sucks right now, but I’ll eventually take good pictures of this during daylight. These are iphone pics—the phone works well in lowlight but of course it’s not all that sharp and a bit harsh looking.

3GvjUk0.jpg

yiXl9jI.jpg

tlwYgKy.jpg

Here in the pic below, you can see the 3D printed side docking ring detail. It’s amazing how much detail was captured in these 3D prints!! Basically, the new sidewalls have fewer piping details, more like the ANH falcon and less like the TFA one.

BapD3tc.jpg

Eo6AOUy.jpg

Last edited:
Finally took better pics with the SLR. The light was still not great, but the details are better seen here. Totally think the 3D printed parts were worth it; takes a bit of work to get them to fit, glued in, but the results make for a really cool upgrade to this little model.

3D parts are from “The Age of Plastic” on Shapeways. Frost ultra detail material. Totally recommend these parts.

pv9MAcw.jpg

7DJpw5c.jpg

wQ9lIhk.jpg

5tAt8UO.jpg

gWIijnf.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back