Custom diorama/playset, ALIENS inspired

dropshipbob

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I like creating custom 1:18th scale action figures, and I have been working on my own ALIENS inspired items. I have a fire team of Colonial Marines and a handful of colony-type people. If you have figures, you kind of need something for them to interact with, so I decided to build an uplink tower like the one seen in the movie. The one in the movie was probably meant to be huge, but I had to keep mine scaled down for ease of storage.

I built it using mostly every day items. The main body is a 32 oz. soda cup with a plastic container from a drink mix added to the front. The main part of the antenna is cut from some black plastic sheet I found at work. The round details on the "arms" are lids from milk containers from McDonalds and the "pointy part" in the middle of each are caps I saved from used up super glue bottles. The back of the antenna is detailed with sprues from model kits and a few vehicle parts. The antenna can turn 360 as well as move up and down. The three support struts were originally something used for adding tile to walls...I think. I saw it and immediately thought of those girders you see in building construction.
The base was made from a piece of MDF with the edges sanded down. I then added a layer of celluclay and embedded bits of real gravel and chunks of plaster (for the larger rocks). The figures posed with the end result are converted Star Wars Poe. The vehicle was slightly converted from a set I found at a store.

These photos are all out of order...hopefully the progress order is obvious.

up1.jpguplink9.jpguplink10.jpguplink5.jpguplink3.jpguplink1.jpgup5.jpgup3.jpgup2.jpguplink11.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back