The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

I said try. ;)

What's with the thin necks that makes then so awesome?

You know I never really thought of it that way.... hmmmm

To me I think it’s more the legacy... like the way I have my thin necks displayed, when someone comes over I refer to them as the “sisters”

Obiwan then V2 then V3, and below them the hero/creepy uncle

I explain the history of the obiwan and then the twin sisters (stunts) and then the hero

I like how all of them are related, and how each one has it’s own story..

I guess it’s because of their relation

20180404_132512.jpg

For me it all started with this picture of Luke. My grandmother gave me the special editions of Star Wars. And I used to stare at that picture a whole lot. And incidentally my real name is Luke. So that helps:D

I get this feeling that the Awesome-Con/White Glove saber, was 3D printed, then that was used to make a mold from, to produce the resin saber we see now. The box was glued haphazardly on, hence it doesn't align. In some of the pictures, you can make out where some squeezed out from the box. At first, I thought it may have built from Saberforge parts. But a lot of the dimensions don't match. However, some of the basic proportions do. Like the deeper 3rd ring on the emitter. I'm guessing that they just did a Google search for Luke RotJ Lightsaber. And did a kinda of kit bash thing.

Except 3D printing doesn’t make a seam like we see on the awesome-con saber.

I’m sticking to awesome-con and white-glove being the same.

For me, the simplest throughline is the most logical. They designed a saber, likely looking at a variety of Luke saber versions, with Rian picking the details he liked best. They made a digital mock-up/3d plan based on the measurements, and made a 3D print master. They made a mold based on this. From that mold they cast a resin version for stunt work in the not shot or cut scene of the attack on Ach-To. They cast a metal one to be a hero. The metal hero was used for the scene and the box was retouched. The resin version is the white glove/awesome-con saber.

That’s the simplest explanation I can think of that covers everything we know.

Last edited:
And remember, we haven't seen the matte black Kylo TLJ hero outside of the film yet, or the blue padawan lightsaber for that matter. I don't think it's a stretch at all to think there's a metal Luke prop we just haven't seen outside the movie yet.

For me, the simplest throughline is the most logical. They designed a saber, likely looking at a variety of Luke saber versions, with Rian picking the details he liked best. They made a digital mock-up/3d plan based on the measurements, and made a 3D print master. They made a mold based on this. From that mold they cast a resin version for stunt work in the not shot or cut scene of the attack on Ach-To. They cast a metal one to be a hero. The metal hero was used for the scene and the box was retouched. The resin version is the white glove/awesome-con saber.

But why would a metal "hero" saber have a misaligned pommel? Unless they were trying to replicate slothfurnace's saber, which shows a misaligned pommel.

Being metal has no baring on misalignment. Our frame of reference for alignment is the box. In most every version of this saber through the saga, the box is added after the body is made. Sure, you SHOULD align it with a pommel box, but that doesn't mean the person attaching it will. Look at any OT Graflex and you'll see the grips slightly out of line with the box. I don't understand how a prop person wouldn't have OCD, cause it drives me insane to see, but again-- fast and cheap is always the name of the game.

I agree 100% with u

But why would a metal "hero" saber have a misaligned pommel? Unless they were trying to replicate slothfurnace's saber, which shows a misaligned pommel.

I think it being mid aligned is just a fluke. Look at this thing, they didn’t make anything accurate...

I don’t think they would waste the time studying the exact location of the pommel cube, and then skimp on every single thing on the rest of the saber

I guess I see it like this. Misaligned box on a resin stunt saber I can see. But on the "hero" saber? I don't see that happening, particularly with today's CNC technology. I would think it would have been easy to make "hero" saber that lines up.

So unless I see another saber turn up. I feel that the Creepy Uncle, White Glove, and Awesome Con sabers are the same. Just taking in consideration how the pommel/box/ tri-ring orientation is the same between the three. And some of the weathering between the pommel cubes is the same between the three.

Being metal has no baring on misalignment. Our frame of reference for alignment is the box. In most every version of this saber through the saga, the box is added after the body is made. Sure, you SHOULD align it with a pommel box, but that doesn't mean the person attaching it will. Look at any OT Graflex and you'll see the grips slightly out of line with the box. I don't understand how a prop person wouldn't have OCD, cause it drives me insane to see, but again-- fast and cheap is always the name of the game.
I can't possibly agree more. The fact that we all have severe OCD don't mean that pro prop makers are. As a matter of fact I can easily see why it could be a problem ("We need that prop in 20 minutes!" "No! It still need to go through a couple cycles in the dishwasher to achieve the proper patina." SMACK)

I guess I see it like this. Misaligned box on a resin stunt saber I can see. But on the "hero" saber? I don't see that happening, particularly with today's CNC technology. I would think it would have been easy to make "hero" saber that lines up.

Again— you’re imagining the entire thing was made at once. Literally every version of Luke’s saber, official or replica, has the box being made and attatched separately.

It’s also possible that the resin was cast from the metal hero. In my version that could happen just as easily, and would explain the box being misaligned in the same way— but it would still be retouched onscreen as the card and buttons change.

Again— you’re imagining the entire thing was made at once. Literally every version of Luke’s saber, official or replica, has the box being made and attatched separately.

It’s also possible that the resin was cast from the metal hero. In my version that could happen just as easily, and would explain the box being misaligned in the same way— but it would still be retouched onscreen as the card and buttons change.

I know the box is separate.

For a saber like that, I believe it would be turned on a lathe, then sent to a mill for the cubes and the holes in the emitter. Then on the mill, I imagine the holes for the control box would be drilled and taped. But why if you are making a "hero" prop would you not line up stuff? I mean this thing is going to be viewed in 4K! Even eyeballing it would have gotten closer. Which I've heard is how the old Yuma/Hero was done. It like they blindfolded the guy and played pin the control box on the saber:lol ........................somethings fishy about this saber.....................

Here's another photo from a friend who was at Awesome-Con.

For what it's worth, that is ABSOLUTELY a resin casting. If it was aluminum there's no reason why the rings would be so poorly painted to appear aluminum. Why not just show the actual material. Plus the arrows are clearly painted red and green and have a rough texture. I have to agree that this is likely the white glove saber. Particularly given that it seems the props that Madlyn Burkert is showing off in the video are also seemingly props that she personally sets up for touring displays like this.

AwesomeCon01.jpg

Here's another photo from a friend who was at Awesome-Con.

For what it's worth, that is ABSOLUTELY a resin casting. If it was aluminum there's no reason why the rings would be so poorly painted to appear aluminum. Why not just show the actual material. Plus the arrows are clearly painted red and green and have a rough texture. I have to agree that this is likely the white glove saber. Particularly given that it seems the props that Madlyn Burkert is showing off in the video are also seemingly props that she personally sets up for touring displays like this.

View attachment 807738

Another beautiful shot! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outside of the MoM Vader saber, the Ranch saber, and the V3, I can’t think of single instance when a museum display saber had any onscreen pedigree. Just food for thought.

edit: no matter what the placards say!

Interesting point. I've noticed that the Obi-Wan RotS movie saber looks nothing like Master Replicas saber, or the ones they display for Obi-Wan.

I made a point of being a jerk when I went to the EMP in Seattle to point out to docents that the two lightsabers they had were bull crap. Kurtz Graflex and Strobonar Vader.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back