The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

DDC0E081-C8DC-467E-BC17-62F16F37A490.jpegIs it me or do I see a little step in the grenade section near the thumb?

I see what you're seeing, but it doesn't line up to any detail along the diameter on the other side of the thumb.

Okay, after hours of staring... I posit the following:

The white glove and the TFA BTS are NOT the same saber, based on tri-ring position, height of the box rails, and finish.

The tri-ring position does not match the ROTJ or TFA versions, but it does match what's onscreen in TFA. Obviously, the PCB and finish do not.

The depth of the space between the pommel and box section is similar to what is seen onscreen as well-- deeper than the ROTJ version. The TFA version is at an angle that just makes it too hard to tell.

The thickness of the flat edge of the rings is something that varies between most versions of this saber. The only two places we see rings that are even and this thick are onscreen in TLJ, and with the white glove.

Based on that, and the fact it was shown with nothing but TLJ props, I think the white-glove saber was used as the physical saber in shooting the scene in TLJ. That said, it was a composite shot as it included Luke's cyborg hand which would have to be placed into the shot, and his (or his stand in's) hand would have to be removed, leaving detail missing on the prop. So the prop, the box area especially, was heavily retouched in the shot which would explain the different finish and the changing button details (thick to thin, notched to no notch).

I can't say this for certain, but I'm 90% sure....

I’ll ride with you in this decision

View attachment 803284Is it me or do I see a little step in the grenade section near the thumb?

It really sucks, I don’t think we can do by ANYTHING, in these scenes we have... too much CGI crap....

If we could rule out no cgi was used then we would have a huge discovery. But with cgi in the works... we can positively identify anything

The bastards at ILM are killing me...

What exactly is your angle here? You keep posting these questions then talk down to everyone if you don’t get an immediate response. Not everyone here is an engineer or blueprint expert.
20 degrees.
It is not a question, I note that the manufacturers do not pay attention to this stage. It is strange for me to see people who are exploring every millimeter of the lightsaber and dont care about such an important detail.
2.jpg1.png2.png

I'm going to say it, I'm not a real numbers guy. So it's not like I don't care, It just goes way over my head:D.
I draw this to later produce. Maybe even a few pieces. In any case, I'll post the drawings in public later.

So I think in your interests, that everything should be as accurate as possible

20 degrees.
It is not a question, I note that the manufacturers do not pay attention to this stage. It is strange for me to see people who are exploring every millimeter of the lightsaber and dont care about such an important detail.
View attachment 803311View attachment 803310View attachment 803312

I draw this to later produce. Maybe even a few pieces. In any case, I'll post the drawings in public later.

So I think in your interests, that everything should be as accurate as possible

There's no bevel at the point you indicated with the red arrow - for example your third image (from the book "From Star Wars to Indiana Jones") has some imperfect cropping at the edges that leave the impression of a slope where there is not one. If there were the glare/highlights in the metal would change. Here's a closeup photo of the hero showing no bevel:

MOMLukeROTJSaber1.jpg
(these have been floating around the RPF for a while and I don't remember who took it... it's from the Magic of Myth exhibit)

Edit: the photo may have come from Phillipies?

Last edited:
There's no bevel at the point you indicated with the red arrow - for example your third image (from the book "From Star Wars to Indiana Jones") has some imperfect cropping at the edges that leave the impression of a slope where there is not one. If there were the glare/highlights in the metal would change. Here's a closeup photo of the hero showing no bevel:

View attachment 803399
(these have been floating around the RPF for a while and I don't remember who took it... it's from the Magic of Myth exhibit)

You can clearly see the glare on my 2nd photo (with white gloves).
And I see this on 3rd photo too...

You can clearly see the glare on my 2nd photo (with white gloves).
And I see this on 3rd photo too...

So I can't speak about the White Glove, but the TLJ prop has so much CG work done on it, it's hard to say what's actually going on. But as far as the Hero is concerned, I doubt there is that 20° bevel, considering that it was a stunt saber first, they wouldn't have bothered to machine that. The Hero is a simplified V2, which in turn is a simplified Obi-Wan hero.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back