Subscribe
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Apr 1, 2018, 12:45 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #751

Fusion you donít know what this means to me...

Iím so anxious right now trying to catch up, I was helping my mother feed the elderly today at her annual Easter egg dinner for single seniors

Man... so exciting!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 1, 2018, 12:47 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #752

AnubisGuard said: View Post
    I'll put my money on this not being the saber seen on screen in TLJ. The Creepy Uncle looks too much like metal. (And yes, I realize it could have been doctored, but you'd have to replace basically the entire prop with a CG double and/or a paint over of the entire thing.)
    I'm starting to think the creepy uncle is all CG and the white glove was just used for reference/scanning.

halliwax said: View Post
    What the hell did I miss?!?!!!!!!
    Well...

Awesome-con Luke saber = white glove saber = painted resin

Awesome-con Graflex = not white glove Graflex = Early folmer

I don't think any of them are used onscreen in TLJ personally, at least not in the way they appear in real life.

I’m so anxious right now trying to catch up, I was helping my mother feed the elderly today at her annual Easter egg dinner for single seniors
    There's no room for altruism and goodness in saberin'
    From
    UK
    Apr 1, 2018, 12:48 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #753

What the hell did I miss?!?!!!!!!

A few hours are a lifetime in politics and prop forums Haha!
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Apr 1, 2018, 12:53 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #754

Ok, so I caught up. When scrolling from the top and checking out fusions freakín awesome pics!! I noticed the seam line on the booster and windvane

So... if the TFA BSF saber is metal... whoís to say they didnít cast this off that? And thatís why the tri ring has been moved on the resin clone?

I highly agree the emitter looks a lot like saber forge, I wonder if production got the dimensions from saberforge? Even the windvane looks like SF to me...

As for tom commenting about the metal paint job, I think punished Props (on YouTube) does an outstanding job simulating metal with his airbrush

He even does many how toís on how to paint metal, heís a super talented guy

Canít believe itís resin, this explains the god ugly control box...

They did an amazing job cleaning up the casting in some areas, and then in others was like f it... I donít get it lol

Going back to scan over fusions pics... I really need to vacuum and clean my bathroom today, but now with these pics I doubt that is ever going to happen...

Anyone have any idea what size screws they are?

Best Easter present I ever got! Thanks fusion!!
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Apr 1, 2018, 12:59 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #755

thd9791 said: View Post
    Would you say the paint on Luke's saber looks dark yellow/brass or coppery/orange in person?

also looks like they used a pipe to hit the rivets on the graflex, I see a ring depression
    This is why I remove the ďpullingĒ part of the rivet, I punch it out leaving a hollow rivet, and then epoxy the rivet into the grip. I see to always scratch or dent a rivet when installing them the right way

I call this the ďhollow rivet trickĒ lol
    Apr 1, 2018, 1:01 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #756

Most people do easter egg hunts on Easter. We do lightsaber hunts
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 1, 2018, 1:02 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #757

So... if the TFA BSF saber is metal... who’s to say they didn’t cast this off that? And that’s why the tri ring has been moved on the resin clone?
    I thought that too at first-- but...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compareA.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	390.8 KB 
ID:	806733

...box rails are totally different.
    Apr 1, 2018, 1:11 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #758

I keep looking at the 4k screenshots of the Creepy Uncle and I'm having a hard time believing it's all CG with the way Mark Hamill holds it in some shots. The details of the creepy uncle from the ribbed section-up match, at least to my eye, this resin saber exactly. I still believe they either just touched up the resin one with CG or there is a metal hero of it.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Apr 1, 2018, 1:11 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #759

SethS said: View Post
    I thought that too at first-- but...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compareA.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	390.8 KB 
ID:	806733

...box rails are totally different.
    Damn Seth good eyes!! Iím stuck on a small screen right now!

So... white glove saber built from scratch... why canít the damn creators of these fill us in a little, you know they come on here and see this stuff...

I would love to know the history and design of this..

With Disney doing all kinds of damage control social media wise, someone tweet Rian Johnson saying we want a weapons video, they did it for r1 have them do it for TLJ

But back to the box, Seth, what the hell is up with those rails?!

Another thing Seth, you know how we all think it would be easy to use bladed sabers for the hut scene?

The angle the camera is at allows for easy cg work on throwing in the blades

Any other angle would be too difficult to cg in blades with out a reference in place (rod)

Just like how fake punches are filmed, they look perfect at one angle, watch the scene from another and the fist is a foot away from the guy. They can pull off this same trick with the lightsaber blades this way

Iíve been going by this theory since everyone thinking they NEEDED a blades stunt for that scene

I feel real strongly the white glove saber (resin stun) is the creepy uncle, and that is why the creepy uncle has so much CG work done to it...
  10. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Apr 1, 2018, 1:12 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #760

Btw, as long as Seth is in this thread there is no way in hell my bathroom is getting cleaned today lol
  11. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Apr 1, 2018, 1:14 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #761

Check out the top of the grenade section on the prodigal son..

From
    Washington DC
    Apr 1, 2018, 1:34 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #762

xwingercrash said: View Post
    LB in Florida appears to be Folmer with deep glass eyehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7fe18c906f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Perhaps it doesnít come out in the photos so well. But the one at Awesome Con is much shinier and completely curved. Not at all like the somewhat matt-finish and more angular Folmer eyes Iím a little familiar with.

Got family stuff going on now. I got more pictures, but no time for a few hours. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 1, 2018, 1:53 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #763

But back to the box, Seth, what the hell is up with those rails?!
    On which box? I've always thought the TFA ones were oversize-- but they look like the cave build box on the ROTJ hero. The white glove, no idea...

But obviously onscreen it looks like the ISYHCANL. (THE ONE TRUE BOX IN MY OPINION!)

Another thing Seth, you know how we all think it would be easy to use bladed sabers for the hut scene?
    The angle the camera is at allows for easy cg work on throwing in the blades

Any other angle would be too difficult to cg in blades with out a reference in place (rod)

Just like how fake punches are filmed, they look perfect at one angle, watch the scene from another and the fist is a foot away from the guy. They can pull off this same trick with the lightsaber blades this way

I’ve been going by this theory since everyone thinking they NEEDED a blades stunt for that scene

I feel real strongly the white glove saber (resin stun) is the creepy uncle, and that is why the creepy uncle has so much CG work done to it...
    That's what I was saying a few posts back-- I don't know they needed a bladed stunt for this shot that was heavily composited.

I'm still hovering between the resin saber being used and retouched for what's onscreen-- or the onscreen saber being a CGI shot with the resin saber having been used for scanning and reference

Check out the top of the grenade section on the prodigal son..
    Uh-- also check out the wide edge of the rings. That looks a lot like the white glove....
  14. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Apr 1, 2018, 2:04 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #764

SethS said: View Post
    On which box? I've always thought the TFA ones were oversize-- but they look like the cave build box on the ROTJ hero. The white glove, no idea...

But obviously onscreen it looks like the ISYHCANL. (THE ONE TRUE BOX IN MY OPINION!)

That's what I was saying a few posts back-- I don't know they needed a bladed stunt for this shot that was heavily composited.

I'm still hovering between the resin saber being used and retouched for what's onscreen-- or the onscreen saber being a CGI shot with the resin saber having been used for scanning and reference

Uh-- also check out the wide edge of the rings. That looks a lot like the white glove....
    Seth I agree with you 100%... looks like the prodigal son was heavily influence in the creepy uncles construction... I see prodigal son all over this, minus the pommel
  15. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Apr 1, 2018, 2:06 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #765

@SethS check out the prodigal sons clamp card too... real thick...

16. Member Since
    May 2010
    Apr 1, 2018, 5:14 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #766

Theyíre not as good as the ones Fusion got for us, but my guy pulled through with a few extra shots.

17. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Apr 1, 2018, 5:15 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #767

Thank you!!! Thatís one hell of a seam line on the emitter!! Dang!!!!

Really appreciate the effort grabbing these extra shots!

No word of a lie this is a beautiful metal paint job
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 1, 2018, 5:25 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #768

No word of a lie this is a beautiful metal paint job
    It's like putting award winning top shelf hot sauce on a crappy generic grocery store microwavable burrito.
  19. RPF Premium Member kevin926's Avatar
    Apr 1, 2018, 5:42 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #769

To get a nice metal finish, just use bright yellow and then after it dries, shoot aluminum spray over it. Try it if you don't believe me. Works like a charm
    Apr 1, 2018, 5:44 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #770

Like, aluminum spray paint, or actual aluminum?
  21. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Apr 1, 2018, 5:47 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #771

Hey Gang! Sooooo, we're ruling out cast aluminum because..... why exactly?
  22. RPF Premium Member kevin926's Avatar
    Apr 1, 2018, 5:49 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #772

AnubisGuard said: View Post
    Like, aluminum spray paint, or actual aluminum?
    simple spray paint. Air brush paint will get the best results, however your basic spray paint will also work great. Any ordinary bright yellow, (not mustard or school bus) nor neon. Any metal paint , even chrome. Try it.! You will be pleasantly surprised
    Apr 1, 2018, 5:50 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #773

Ridire Firean said: View Post
    Hey Gang! Sooooo, we're ruling out cast aluminum because..... why exactly?
    I would think that with today modern technology it would be easier for a computer to turn an aluminum saber than to cast a saber out of aluminum.
    From
    Portchester UK
    Apr 1, 2018, 5:54 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #774

I don't think cast ally would leave such a fine finished unless it was put on a lathe and finely sanded...
    And then the seam would be removed more than it is. Not sure though.
  25. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Apr 1, 2018, 6:07 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #775

spacebob said: View Post
    And then the seam would be removed more than it is.
    See, I was thinking that if they had sanded an aluminum cast and the seam had inclusions, that it would be more difficult to get them removed entirely.

With a resin cast that you were going to paint anyway, wouldn't you take 2 seconds to fill it with putty/bondo/more resin/primer/etc.?

With aluminum inclusions, you'd have to fire up your welder and fill them in with a touch or two of ye olde aluminum welding rod. Which if you were in a hurry, or didn't have the equipment or skill to do so, might make you stop short of perfecting your prep-work and you'd sand it as best you could, paint your arrows, neck and grip, weather the rest and call it complete.

@Fusion needs to stick around the Awesome CON folks more and get all buddy-buddy with the Star Wars crew and get them to let him give it a heft test!