Subscribe
    3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 9:09 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #726

So what are we thinking about the foil tape on the bottom of the Graflex? Is that something they did on all the TLJ sabers? Or just this one?
    3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 9:29 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #727

SethS said: View Post
    @Fusion - THANKS!

If these are indeed used onscreen, these are by far the best pics we've ever seen of them.

Feel like the Luke saber here is definitely the white glove... and holy god is that box ugly. Worse than the original cave build hero box. @halliwax I know you hate it-- but I thank the stars for the retouching they did on this thing to make it not suck so much on screen.

Kylo saber-- it doesn't quite have the matte finish as seen onscreen in TLJ or the rough finish of the TFA version. This looks like a replica-- is the endcap red? I can't tell.

Graflex-- definitely a vintage-- love seeing a bit of the copyright stamp, looks like their endcap isn't a fully circle. Better angle on the eye-- definitely an early folmer-- smooth pins too. Pitting on the bunny ear band is legit. Question is now though-- was this used onscreen or not? The finish doesn't match the SWS video one or anything seen onscreen for TLJ. It almost looks like a TFA saber. If it weren't for the rivets I'd say it looks like the batch made for the Launch Bay displays.
    Also, LB sabers still have knurling on the glass eye and no end cap...but it would explain the two half circle caps/tape applied to either side of the kobold after the fact.

LB sabers are Folmer (at least the one at Hollywood Studios) but thought consensus was that TFA/TLJ on-screen weíre non-Folmers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 9:37 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #728

Fusion said: View Post
    Next 5...
    Would you say the paint on Luke's saber looks dark yellow/brass or coppery/orange in person?

also looks like they used a pipe to hit the rivets on the graflex, I see a ring depression
    From
    Washington DC
    3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 9:41 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #729

Got some more pics. Then they got antsy and moved the tape back too far for my cell phone to work very well. Iíll post in a couple hours. Easter Sunday.

Straight pins on the Graflex. Not a Folmer glass eye. Letters REG it looks like visible under the Kobold. Couldnít get close enough for a good pic of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    From
    Washington DC
    3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 9:43 AM - The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #730

The look looked cast or something. Long seam from top to bottom, well smoothed. Tried to get in photos. Arrows clearly raised and painted. Hole in the blade plug was there.

That was for the Luke.

Last edited by Fusion; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:16 AM.
    3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 10:06 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #731

Okay, I think that was all I had. For some reason my phone was creating a new copy - in the phone itself - for every time I attached one using TapaTalk. Not sure how on earth that makes any sense.
    Anyway, I didnít do them in order. So it got confusing to figure out.

The Graflex pins do look smooth in the pics. And it looks for the world like they had a cover over the clamp. Which I could not clearly discern looking at the thing in real life.

Tomorrow I have family obligations. But I will try to get back over there with a flashlight in the morning. If I pull it off, Iíll concentrate on answers to the questions people have been raising here.

The investigation is on! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 10:11 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #732

xwingercrash said: View Post
    Also, LB sabers still have knurling on the glass eye and no end cap...but it would explain the two half circle caps/tape applied to either side of the kobold after the fact.

LB sabers are Folmer (at least the one at Hollywood Studios) but thought consensus was that TFA/TLJ on-screen we’re non-Folmers?

So you think this might be one of the Launch Bay sabers? Repressed to look more like the one in the film?
    From
    Washington DC
    3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 10:23 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #733

Some more pics. These are going to dribble out slowly as I just snapped as many as I could while I had the opportunity.

3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 10:34 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #734

It is made from resin!!!! What a sloppy paint job!
  10. RPF Premium Member lukyanov's Avatar
    From
    Novokuznetsk, Russia
    3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 10:42 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #735

Great! Any more of this?
    From
    Washington DC
    3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 11:16 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #736

Another 5...

From
    3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 11:31 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #737

oh my god it's resin.

Is the emitter resin too? The ability to paint something to look this much like metal is something to aspire to.

- - - Updated - - -

whoever designed this.... what were they thinking making the card so thick/deep?!
    From
    Los Angeles
    3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 11:33 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #738

Damn-- no doubt it's resin.. but what's it cast from?! an eFX reveal or MR like we suspected it got its measurements from?

Do we think this is definitely the white glove? Definitely NOT the TFA BTS right?

xwingercrash said: View Post

LB sabers are Folmer (at least the one at Hollywood Studios) but thought consensus was that TFA/TLJ on-screen weíre non-Folmers?
    I had this thought upon seeing the 4k shot of the about to be a broke flex onscreen... but the LB sabers are Graflex Inc's if you go by the glass eye and pins (at least the California one, not 100% sure about Florida or Hong Kong).

Straight pins on the Graflex. Not a Folmer glass eye. Letters REG it looks like visible under the Kobold. Couldnít get close enough for a good pic of that.
    Thanks again!

That eye sure looks early folmer to me. I call upon the power of @scottjua and his detective thread: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=144206

- - - Updated - - -

thd9791 said: View Post
    whoever designed this.... what were they thinking making the card so thick/deep?!
    I think it has to be based on whatever the cast was made from right?
    From
    3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 11:36 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #739

I'm wondering if they 3D printed the model and made a cast of that
    From
    Los Angeles
    3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 11:40 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #740

Seems like an extra step-- if they just wanted a resin version for reference they could just cast whatever they scanned for the 3D model.

The thing that gets me is that there's no blade plug-- this thing wasn't bladed. I suppose the final shot of Ben blocking the attack could be a total composite and would need a bladed-stunt... but why make it more complicated?
    3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 11:44 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #741

Damn-- no doubt it's resin.. but what's it cast from?! an eFX reveal or MR like we suspected it got its measurements from?

Do we think this is definitely the white glove? Definitely NOT the TFA BTS right?

The emitter and thin neck and grenade section looks like SaberForge Prodigal Son but the lower half and control box, not so much........

Definitely don't think this the TFA BTS saber, I'm pretty sure that is metal.
  17. RPF Premium Member lukyanov's Avatar
    From
    Novokuznetsk, Russia
    3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 11:49 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #742

Maybe we can ask Ryan Johnson about using resin saber in this scene?
    From
    Los Angeles
    3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 11:56 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #743

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compare.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	382.0 KB 
ID:	806720

Obviously the lighting and angle are impossible to match, but I think I can see enough differences to put the idea these are the same to bed.
    3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 12:07 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #744

I had this thought upon seeing the 4k shot of the about to be a broke flex onscreen... but the LB sabers are Graflex Inc's if you go by the glass eye and pins (at least the California one, not 100% sure about Florida or Hong Kong).

Thanks again!

That eye sure looks early folmer to me. I call upon the power of @scottjua and his detective thread: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=144206

- - - Updated - - -

LB in Florida appears to be Folmer with deep glass eye

From
    Los Angeles
    3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 12:09 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #745

And one of the Graflex...

None of the marring and aging is on the white glove version. I don't think they are the same-- but I don't think that's anything of note when display sabers, on-screen-sabers, and BTS sabers can easily be different and we know there was likely more than one hero used.

The white glove is so pristine, it has to have been buffed up. It looks this way in some shots (Porg shot, pre-splitting) but it looks aged and worn as normal in others (in Luke's hands). I'm starting to think that maybe the clean one is CG, and this white glove version was the hyper-clean Graflex used to scan or be used as reference for a CG model.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compare2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	429.5 KB 
ID:	806723
    3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 12:10 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #746

Joek3rr said: View Post
    So you think this might be one of the Launch Bay sabers? Repressed to look more like the one in the film?
    Could be, but they would have had to redo the eye, add the tape on the bottom and replace the grip screws with rivets.

3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 12:33 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #747

Seems like an extra step-- if they just wanted a resin version for reference they could just cast whatever they scanned for the 3D model.

The thing that gets me is that there's no blade plug-- this thing wasn't bladed. I suppose the final shot of Ben blocking the attack could be a total composite and would need a bladed-stunt... but why make it more complicated?
    I'll put my money on this not being the saber seen on screen in TLJ. The Creepy Uncle looks too much like metal. (And yes, I realize it could have been doctored, but you'd have to replace basically the entire prop with a CG double and/or a paint over of the entire thing.)
  23. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 12:42 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #748

What the hell did I miss?!?!!!!!!

3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 12:44 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #749

halliwax said: View Post
    What the hell did I miss?!?!!!!!!

Alot
    From
    UK
    3 Weeks Ago  Apr 1, 2018, 12:44 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #750

AnubisGuard said: View Post
    I'll put my money on this not being the saber seen on screen in TLJ. The Creepy Uncle looks too much like metal. (And yes, I realize it could have been doctored, but you'd have to replace basically the entire prop with a CG double and/or a paint over of the entire thing.)
    I totally agree