Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    Mar 11, 2018, 6:34 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #326

Luke's finger isn't just the curved silver top part, but also has a dark rounded fingertip, which is obscuring the front angle of the pommel cube with the tri-ring in it. Look here for a better view of how his fingers work
    http://www.graflexbank.com/images/ga...ireoct17se.jpg
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Mar 11, 2018, 6:51 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #327

Love the detective work going on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    Mar 11, 2018, 7:06 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #328

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tlj compare 5.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	308.4 KB 
ID:	801676 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tlj compare 4.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	428.5 KB 
ID:	801677
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	57 
Size:	432.1 KB 
ID:	801673  
    Last edited by Anakin Starkiller; Mar 11, 2018 at 7:24 PM.
    Mar 11, 2018, 9:05 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #329

Anakin Starkiller said: View Post

Name:	tlj compare 5.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	308.4 KB 
ID:	801676 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	99 
Size:	428.5 KB 
ID:	801677
    I see what you are talking about now. They definitely look symmetrical. With that in mind, except for the circuit board and the sheen of the saber, it looks like the TLJ version might be almost identical to the TFA one?
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Mar 11, 2018, 9:11 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #330

Loving what Im seeing

Mar 11, 2018, 9:51 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #331

Name:	TFA TLJ control boxes.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	801692

Is it just me, or does it look like the control boxes on are similar?

You may want to open in "new tab" and zoom in I've put some small markings to show what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by Joek3rr; Mar 12, 2018 at 9:19 AM.
  7. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    Mar 11, 2018, 11:21 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #332

Joek3rr said: View Post
    I see what you are talking about now. They definitely look symmetrical. With that in mind, except for the circuit board and the sheen of the saber, it looks like the TLJ version might be almost identical to the TFA one?
    I'm seeing the same saber body (probably cnc machined) and just different circuit boards.
    From
    Novokuznetsk, Russia
    Mar 12, 2018, 4:58 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #333

I think it's one and the same saber.
    Mar 12, 2018, 9:22 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #334

lukyanov said: View Post
    I think it's one and the same saber.
    I'm not sure if it is. The TLJ one seems to be a bit more on the shiny side. The TFA one looks to have duller finish.
    Mar 12, 2018, 12:03 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #335

I'm not sure if it is. The TLJ one seems to be a bit more on the shiny side. The TFA one looks to have duller finish.
    The TFA saber looks 3d printed to me while the TLJ looks like real metal. The dull finish on the TFA looks like painted plastic. As the films had different prop makers it would make sense for the sabers to have a different construction.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
    Mar 12, 2018, 12:20 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #336

ThatSpoiler said: View Post
    The TFA saber looks 3d printed to me while the TLJ looks like real metal. The dull finish on the TFA looks like painted plastic. As the films had different prop makers it would make sense for the sabers to have a different construction.

They sure made them very similar then. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TFA TLJ control boxes.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	801977

If you look at the control boxes, they look to be almost identical. in that, they have a thick PCB flanked by two bars, which is very reminiscent of the RotS Obi-Wan saber
  12. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Mar 12, 2018, 3:39 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #337

I think its 2 different sabers, all built at the same time. Im guessing there is 3 thin necks

The behind the armory saber (heavy weathering on the box, dark brown neck, tri ring on right side)

This white gloved saber above

And the last Jedi saber with dark neck and tri ring on the left

I agree the control boxes look exactly the same construction

I think it would be funny it the glove and dark neck TLJ saber are the exact same, and they CGed the traces in the clamp card...

There was early speculation they cged the shine on the traces, now seeing they cged the control box on the broken flex I wouldnt put it past them they added the extra traces in this scene and added the shine to all but one

13. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    Mar 12, 2018, 5:01 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #338

What do you guys think about the proportions of the body?
  14. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Mar 12, 2018, 9:53 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #339

i dont know if its the difference in the color model vs the screen. but is it me or could the rings use alittle more "roundness" on the edges? i dont know if its that, or the tool they used to cut the rings
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Mar 13, 2018, 12:06 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #340

Dan, personally I think you nearly nailed it. (again haha)

Your model's grip rings could use a little more thickness (which may mean a smaller distance between rings)
    The lowest emitter step looks a bit shorter in length on screen

splitting hairs though
    Mar 13, 2018, 10:04 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #341

I had a thought this morning. What if this saber is TFA saber and simply CG'd all the differences? It might make sense that would do that, considering you have a CG blade and hand.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Mar 13, 2018, 10:16 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #342

I still think the TLJ box more streamlined than the TFA. TLJ looks like the ISYCANL while TFA looks like the cave-build/idealized hero.
  18. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Mar 13, 2018, 10:22 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #343

I had a thought this morning. What if this saber is TFA saber and simply CG'd all the differences? It might make sense that would do that, considering you have a CG blade and hand.
    i seriously think the box here has some CG work done to it

this would explain the inaccuracy to the shine on the gold traces, and the different trace count in this scene, and the photo we have of white gloves.. just my personal belief right now, no proof to back this up
  19. RPF Premium Member
    Mar 13, 2018, 11:01 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #344

That's my working theory also - assuming the saber isn't fully CG to begin with, at least the box details would make sense to be rotoscoped into the shot as a background for the CG mechanical thumb that passes over it. If a green-gloved hand was painted out, they'd need to redraw at least that part of the saber, so why not tweak it (and in the process accidentally blur out the groove in the control box button bar - it's already hard to see in several frames in the white glove video). But again, no way to know either way until we see either a prop that matches that shot exactly or a VFX breakdown of the scene showing the white glove prop being used.
    Mar 13, 2018, 11:49 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #345

A huge difference between the Creepy Uncle and the white glove saber is the finish. The white glove saber has a very dull finish while the Creepy Uncle is quite shiny. But I guess when you throw the CGI argument into the mix there's no way of knowing anything for sure. We might be arguing over something that doesn't exist. But with all the practical effects used in the movie I think the Creepy Uncle is a real prop, activation plate and all. Luke's finger never goes over the plate, just on the side of it.

From
    Los Angeles
    Mar 13, 2018, 11:58 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #346

There’s undoubtly retouching and enhancements going on— probably a lot of replacement too— whiuch is frustrating since they are not consistant about it.
    Mar 13, 2018, 12:18 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #347

They're strangely consistent when it comes to the CGI then, because this different view and angle has the same activation plate, with the 12 shiny bars and single dull bar. You would think if the dull bar was a CGI mistake it would only be shown in one shot of the saber, not every single one in the exact same place. This makes me think its a physical prop with a single dull bar and 12 shiny ones. No CGI (except maybe the black bar on the side, since his finger actually does interact with that part of the saber)

23. RPF Premium Member lukyanov's Avatar
    From
    Novokuznetsk, Russia
    Mar 13, 2018, 12:19 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #348

Maybe we'll have some new info when BTS videos be leaked.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Mar 13, 2018, 1:00 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #349

ThatSpoiler said: View Post
    They're strangely consistent when it comes to the CGI then, because this different view and angle has the same activation plate, with the 12 shiny bars and single dull bar. You would think if the dull bar was a CGI mistake it would only be shown in one shot of the saber, not every single one in the exact same place. This makes me think its a physical prop with a single dull bar and 12 shiny ones. No CGI (except maybe the black bar on the side, since his finger actually does interact with that part of the saber) https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...82a2f7e70d.jpg

but the button changes...
    Mar 13, 2018, 1:02 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #350

I just got my iTunes copy of the film today. I'll start my way through the extras and see if find any BTS pics of the saber