Fx-7 medical droid

GEEK1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
OK it's time to start another droid build thread...and what a find this little fella is. Not so little actually...I think he stands about 6' in height. I had no idea how complex the 'other' medical droid was until I started researching him. Classic Bill Hargreaves work. Great pic of him with his droid...

12036417_10153358364163557_1546586038154582585_n.jpg

Those old Star Wars prop guys look like your Dad's slightly dodgy mates from the seventies, all flares, beards and tank tops, but what a skill set they embraced

Anyway on with the build. FX-7 is basically a tall shaft with a rotating head and lots of arms. Here's where I'm at...

Modelled it in Blender...

screen.png

and then sliced it up to print. Glued the base and shaft together and filled with expanding foam

koSnWBml.jpg
[/IMG]
ATTACH]

Attachments

• 12036417_10153358364163557_1546586038154582585_n.jpg
    12036417_10153358364163557_1546586038154582585_n.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 623
  • screen.png
    screen.png
    121 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:
It's already looking great. It's nice to see one of the less built droids. I remember loving that action figure when I was a kid. Great work so far!

UNREAL work. spot on!!!

What do you do with all these amazing creations of yours? This droid, K2SO, probe droid, etc? It's like my dream museum.

UNREAL work. spot on!!!

What do you do with all these amazing creations of yours? This droid, K2SO, probe droid, etc? It's like my dream museum.

Well some I keep... I've got a whole room full of props and I'm running out of space. And them some are commissioned by private collectors.

Small update on FX-7. Got the window level thing printed. Gonna have some underlighting as per the movie

1AYep8xm.jpg
[/IMG]

Happy Xmas everyone...all these festivities do get in the way of the true focus of prop making. So, on with the droid

May have missed a few steps picture wise but here's where we're at now. Got the whole thing pretty much filled/sanded and painted apart from a few touch-ups. Got the probe arm on and the linear actuator installed

UiLuvkVm.jpg

and started attaching the legs, some of which will be 'deployed'

ZKTOFr4m.jpg
qss9VsQm.jpg
dgI9CyJm.jpg
6kbqvvOm.jpg

Not settled on the colour yet...I think more silver over the blue undercoat and then a bit darker

This is incredible. How do some of you build things so fast. Exceptional!

That color looks really good.

BTW - the photos in the older posts stopped working.

OK nearly done with this build - and what a build it turned out to be...soooo many greeblies; 18 legs with 5 resin parts each plus rods and springs and tubes, all the head gear and all the random equipment on the window shelf...not to mention the slotted greeblies around the neck and the pinstriping and the chrome strips and on and and and...

LtxdADQm.jpg
trFRn88m.jpg
vKoDQr9m.jpg
8kAef6Jm.jpg

faYGwpJm.jpg
JCj1ITam.jpg
Idl4UuVm.jpg
ui602Nym.jpg

Finished most of the electronics too. Lights in the head, probe arm claw actuator, blue underlighting etc. The only thing left are the 2 LCD screens which are on order

Outstanding! Fantastic project -- what shenphong said--one of the most impressive builds I've seen in ages!

Dave

That is fantastic, The most boring deoid that a kid could get of all the Kenner actionfigures brought to life as one of the most complex 1:1 droid builds.

That is fantastic, The most boring deoid that a kid could get of all the Kenner actionfigures brought to life as one of the most complex 1:1 droid builds.
Whaaaaaaaaat?
I absolutely loved my action figure of him.
I think I was the only kid around me that had him.
Probably cause I was the only kid that picked him out.:unsure

Awsome work though my friend.
This could very well be the coolest prop I've seen built.
With every other thread being one of three lightsabers, this is so refreshing.
But not just that it's different.... it's perfect.
Im sure the original prop makers would be blown away and applaud you.
Thank you for sharing this.
Any chance this will be on display?
Id love to see it in person.
Robert

holy wowsa wowie wow.. Every time I think " hey i;m getting pretty good at this" I see a post like this, humbling.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back