NEW Kirk/Myers sculpt from Handiboy Studios

MASKENSTEIN

I guess theres always room for improvement with KIRK/MYERS-LOL!

4th and latest attempt.
Once again i am casting from a plastic mold. It uses the process of building up 3-4 layers of latex. There is ZERO detail loss and minimal shrinkage...even from molds where i have taken over 100 pulls.
NICK M
SAM_5279 copy.jpg
SAM_5196 copy.jpg
SAM_4440 copy.jpg
20614416_10212300894011915_88031859_n.jpgSAM_5169 copy.jpgSAM_5204 copy.jpgSAM_5270 copy.jpg

I guess theres always room for improvement with KIRK/MYERS-LOL!

4th and latest attempt.
Once again i am casting from a plastic mold. It uses the process of building up 3-4 layers of latex. There is ZERO detail loss and minimal shrinkage...even from molds where i have taken over 100 pulls.
NICK M
View attachment 779944
View attachment 779945
View attachment 779946
View attachment 779947View attachment 779948View attachment 779949View attachment 779950

Great looking mask to say the least Nick! :thumbsup

Is it in production yet available for purchase? ;)

Nick...wondering exactly how do you achieve a PLASTIC mold? what material used in the silicone sleeve? ( I cast all my sculpts in silicone and then resin them so i don't lose details and have to resculpt...i am looking for an easier way to cast for latex and resin...i got the resin part covered..very intrested to learn this plastic technique

Nick! Great to see you guys, here! The Dead Ringer is just that... a dead ringer! Easily one of the best you guys have ever put out. I gotta say, the copy you guys had done up by Tharps is one of the best Kirks ever done.

there is no silicone involved in this process. I make a plaster mold from the sculpt. The I make a urathane master for the plaster mold. Then plastic/resin (smoothcast 300) mold is made from the urathane master. For a pull, i do 2-3 slush coats of latex , drain and letting each coat dry over a dehumidifier for a couple hrs b4 starting the next. I've done over 200 pulls from my first mold with zero detail loss....nick m

Nick...wondering exactly how do you achieve a PLASTIC mold? what material used in the silicone sleeve? ( I cast all my sculpts in silicone and then resin them so i don't lose details and have to resculpt...i am looking for an easier way to cast for latex and resin...i got the resin part covered..very intrested to learn this plastic technique

there is no silicone involved in this process. I make a plaster mold from the sculpt. The I make a urathane master for the plaster mold. Then plastic/resin (smoothcast 300) mold is made from the urathane master. For a pull, i do 2-3 slush coats of latex , drain and letting each coat dry over a dehumidifier for a couple hrs b4 starting the next. I've done over 200 pulls from my first mold with zero detail loss....nick m

EDIT:
Double post, sorry everyone

Last edited:
That is an interesting process. Does it take the latex a very long time to cure/dry fully in the plastic mold? Are the masks as strong as ones made in a plaster mold? I know the plaster absorbs a lot of liquid from the latex wondering what happens to the pull when that process doesn't happen. What kind of urethane do you make your master with?

I notice it looks like the plastic mold is a two piece, I'm wondering why you didn't choose to go with one piece if it's made over a flexible master?

EACH LAYER TAKES APPROX 90 MINS TO DRy when the mold is inverted over a dehumidifier. yes- they are every bit as strong and there is less shrinkage. ,,,, i use brush-on 40 urathane from smooth-on....
i always make 2 piece molds, just in case the inside needs some repair work.
nick m

That is an interesting process. Does it take the latex a very long time to cure/dry fully in the plastic mold? Are the masks as strong as ones made in a plaster mold? I know the plaster absorbs a lot of liquid from the latex wondering what happens to the pull when that process doesn't happen. What kind of urethane do you make your master with?

I notice it looks like the plastic mold is a two piece, I'm wondering why you didn't choose to go with one piece if it's made over a flexible master?

EACH LAYER TAKES APPROX 90 MINS TO DRy when the mold is inverted over a dehumidifier. yes- they are every bit as strong and there is less shrinkage. ,,,, i use brush-on 40 urathane from smooth-on....
i always make 2 piece molds, just in case the inside needs some repair work.
nick m
Thank you for the info maskenstein! Your mask looks great!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back