Skyrim Steel Dagger

Vincent V

I decided to make a steel dagger replica from Skyrim as a Christmas gift for my little sister.

Typically I like to make my own models for 3D printing, but due to time constraints I can't take credit for this one (I downloaded it from Thingiverse). After a bunch of rounds of sanding, a few layers of primer, some spot putty, a bunch of paint, and a strip of old leather here are some images of my results.

20171211_135701.jpg20171211_195443.jpg20171212_133253.jpg20171213_165327.jpg20171213_165423.jpg20171213_165400.jpg20171213_165336.jpg

This is my first attempt at painting a plastic prop to look like metal. Overall I'm pretty happy with the results, but any advice/pointers would come in handy for next time I do something like this.

Last edited:
That looks very much like a real blade! How did you duplicate the pitting on the business end of the sword? It looks great!

Looks like a dull steel finish. If that's your first, then it's a really good job.

I've done some simple paint jobs with spray cans (like painting a cheap toy phaser) but I always shied away from anything metallic. Plus most of my attempted projects haven't gotten this far. I tend to start a relatively difficult project and then run out of free time long before I get to the painting stage.

That looks very much like a real blade! How did you duplicate the pitting on the business end of the sword? It looks great!

I just sprayed it black, dry brushed a bit of gold, dry brushed a lot of silver, then mixed some paints (gold, silver, black, and brown) and sort of "blotted" it on with one of those foam brushes and then dabbed it back off with a wet paper towel to distress it. Since I didn't really give the silver time to dry, removing the distressing mixture also removed small amount of silver (which seemed to work out pretty well).

I mostly followed along with a youtube tutorial for painting plastic to look like metal.

Looks great!! How’d you clean up/sand all the little nooks and crannies in the hilt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great!! How’d you clean up/sand all the little nooks and crannies in the hilt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

I cleaned up the print lines as best I could with some cheapo Harbor Freight needle files. After that two coats of primer with a little more filing/sanding in between and then the layers of paint smoothed it out super well.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back