Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
I understand that and I’m not even arguing with that but the movies established that Ben is corrupted and Luke hasn’t done anything to right that wrong if he really realized that Kylo wasn’t beyond saving. But then later he tells Rey that he actually is beyond saving then Rey tries to prove him wrong only to find that he really is beyond saving. So again what were the motivations and who was right?
tumblr_inline_ow6kh6vDDl1t9dbfv_540.gif

I will say that I will be BEYOND infuriated if Ep. IX doesn't deliver on wrapping things up.

https://78.media.tumblr.com/9b7357d3e18e83ff404ec4c04e108c1c/tumblr_inline_ow6kh6vDDl1t9dbfv_540.gif

I will say that I will be BEYOND infuriated if Ep. IX doesn't deliver on wrapping things up.

Well get ready to be infuriated. JJ used everything symbolically SW just to draw us into his mystery box BS. RJ opened the mystery box, found it was empty so he took a crap in it, tied it with a red bow�� and presented it to KK. She patted him on the head and called him a ‘good little boy’!

I appreciate that the Maz quote was used for the quote alone but allow me to use this scene as an example. It was really not important at all how she got Luke's lightsaber from a story point of view. The reason for Kylo's turn and Luke's feelings towards that are however pivotal to the film. That's basically the heart and soul and stem of the entire film. That has to be clear. Not spelled out every single second, but a logical cause-effect relationship established. It's quite messy what the movie's message is regarding this and even the characters' feelings are not consistent.
To end on a positive note, I do like the idea of every flashback being biased depending on who tells the story. That's a good technique, even if I consider the actual story it tells flawed.

Seriously, watch it. You may actually learn something.
Listening...
1 minute in, he's already on about conspiracy theories how Disney controls Hollywood. But, he's a Flat Earther, so that kind of garbage is to be expected from some nutjob like him. :sick
2:15 in, he comes out and warns us he doesn't like the movie... already going in with a bias.
2:30 in "I heard a rumor..." Oh this is REAL facts, guys! Rumors and hearsay, anecdotal evidence with his own spreadsheets. Will he publish the spreadsheets, or do we just have to go with it?

This is all confirmation bias. This guy was looking to confirm his own bias. So, I refer back to my original comment.
"The critics and audience didn't agree that I think this movie is the worst thing since Hitler so I'm going to make a video pissing and moaning because I don't understand Rotten Tomatoes!"

And let me just say that lady at the end seems a bit unhinged. I don't think I've EVER been that angry about a movie in my life, and I get pretty passionate about movies. She doesn't even understand SW. "I just want laser swords and battle scenes!" That's not what SW is about. :facepalm

She understands Star Wars, she just doesn't agree with the way you view it. We all have our own bias with this series and to say that any of us don't is a lie.

Critic reviews honestly never really mattered when it came to Star Wars. The fans are the ones who will make the movie a financial success or failure by either loving or hating the movies.

What the girl at the end of the video is ranting against is that Kathleen Kennedy, J. J. Abrams, and Rian Johnson have no problem lashing out at fans and telling them that THEY are the problem when they wouldn't even be in the positions they are in without the fans and I absolutely agree with her. Instead of owning the fact that perhaps they made some poor creative decisions, they tried to politicize something that was meant to be all inclusive entertainment. Star Wars was for everyone and touched people of all ages, sexes, races, creeds, etc.

Rather than have open discussion they shut down opposing views because they might offend someone. Hollywood has a habit of flaunting a sense of moral superiority by accusing dissenting opinions with accusations that are completely unfounded. If they make a flop, they blame the fans for being racist, or sexist, and become self righteous ******** by trying to use hot button issues like these to gloss over their own failures. Is diversity important? Of course! But if it's not in service to the story, then what the **** does it even matter? Their job is to tell entertaining stories, not push some political agenda. If they wanted to do that then they should have gone on to make political dramas, not Star Wars.

Star Wars was always a heroes journey. That's all it was ever meant to be. It was supposed to be fun and uplifting and it was FOR EVERYBODY no matter who you were, or where you came from. Those timeless themes were universal and that was it's core appeal because it affected us on a deep psychological/ spiritual level and inspired us to do things that were greater than ourselves. Hollywood and the people in charge of Lucasfilm may have a cursory knowledge of this, but they don't truly understand it.

They just think if we make the cast diverse then it will appeal to everyone. If we have more women in them then more women will be into it. If we have more battles the teen boys from ages 12-18 will watch it. If we change the title to Ranger Solo, then the market in China will sell more tickets. They do all the research and when their stupid tactics fail and they wonder why oh why is this not selling and why oh why are the toys sitting on the shelves collecting dust, it's because they forgot what George Lucas and his company built when they made the original trilogy. Kids don't care about diverse characters, or that more women are represented or whatnot. They want characters they can relate to no matter what gender they are or what color their skin is and they want to have a fun space adventure. Sadly that spirit died a long time ago and while I don't doubt that there are people within the organization that want to make great films, the people at the top are focusing on all the wrong things and blaming the fans for their failures is not the solution.

The easiest way to go out of business is to insult your customers. Without getting into it, it's also the reason why it's virtually impossible to have civil discourse in this country anymore without getting into a shouting match. Rather than have discussions that will yield actual results people devolve into labeling one another to the point where even bringing up a political issue becomes an argument. If it wasn't so detrimental to our society I would laugh that it's become a parody of itself. The other issue is that the fans (and the world it seems) have also devolved into this kind of frenzy of name calling and divisiveness that Lucasfilm now feeds into. Leave identity politics out of Star Wars. It has no place there and never should.

I hate The Last Jedi. Absolutely unabashedly hate it. I don't understand what people like about the movie and I likely never will, but I would NEVER intentionally insult a fellow fan for loving the movie. Just as I have my strong feelings and opinions about it, so they have theirs and we are entitled to feel however we choose on the matter. It's the reason why I usually edit my posts multiple times to make sure that I have made my point without resorting to cheap insults.

What I have a problem with regarding those I disagree with is when all civility is lost (and thankfully it hasn't been too much of an issue for me personally) but I have seen some pretty absurdly insulting personal remarks made against people for and against the movie. Whenever I find myself getting worked up over something I do my best to try and temper my reaction with respect for other people. Something I would expect that we as adults should all be able to do. Shame on Lucasfilm for fanning those flames of divisiveness under the guise of inclusiveness! It's hypocrisy layered under glitz and glamor. That's why I am a vocal critic of their agenda and I think people need to be aware of it!

Last edited:
Biased about my interpretation I may be, but SW is not just about sword fights and shootouts. It's more than that. It's, as you say, the hero's journey, and every piece of political, moral, or ethics they want to tell alongside that. But to whittle it down to just laser swords and rayguns belittles the entire Saga. Sure, even I watched it just for the duels as a 6 year, but I was 6! At the same age, I argued with my parents to let me watch Titanic because I insisted that the worst of it was some swearing and Kate Winslet's ass. I didn't understand or even pay attention to the rest. It was just about the most famous ocean liner sinking ever. I didn't care about the love story, or the class issues. And that's what makes those kind of timeless movies great. When you're a child, sure you prefer the lightsaber duels over C-3PO and R2-D2 wandering the Tatooine desert, but as you grow older you realize Star Wars isn't about lightsaber duels anymore than Titanic is just a movie about a doomed ocean liner. It's about a hero coming of age, it's about love, morality, it's about fighting for what you believe in, even if it's not moral choice. It has lightsaber duels, but that's not what it has to have to tell the story.

I think she was trying to make the point that it's not about pushing an agenda and that it was a simple tale of good vs. evil with cool elements like lightsabers and spaceships, etc. I've seen some of her other videos where she talks about the themes of the movies and the positive message of the movies.

I know I have at times made some pretty cutting comments but I chalk that up to being passionate about this whole thing. We are all guilty of it and I suppose as long as we are honest and try to be civil with one another then we can all have fun.

As I've said recently, my criticisms are never meant to be personal attacks on any fans, and while there is a huge part of me that wishes I could shut up about this movie already, I keep coming back to the discussion because I truly do enjoy the exchange of ideas.

At the end of the day we are all fans and I LOVE the fact that I can sit here at home and talk/ debate with people from all over the world about these crazy space movies!

speaking as someone who does love TLJ--and frankly does not understand why anyone would outright hate it-- I also am continually drawn back here. I sometimes question why that is... since it mostly does seem to be shouting down each other.

That's why i'm encouraged by your post here. Even though--as you state-you personally hate the film, nevertheless you're willing to accept that others don't, and leave room for that.

And as you've said, we are all guilty of using a bit more force than is necessary in the defense of our beliefs because; passion.

I love it... you don't. I can accept. So can you. That's a good place to be coming from :)

speaking as someone who does love TLJ--and frankly does not understand why anyone would outright hate it-- I also am continually drawn back here. I sometimes question why that is... since it mostly does seem to be shouting down each other.

That's why i'm encouraged by your post here. Even though--as you state-you personally hate the film, nevertheless you're willing to accept that others don't, and leave room for that.

And as you've said, we are all guilty of using a bit more force than is necessary in the defense of our beliefs because; passion.

I love it... you don't. I can accept. So can you. That's a good place to be coming from :)

Speaking of people who like the film, this poll is remarakable. Nearly 4000 voters is a sizeable sample. Now it’s going to be biased toward people who listen to Steele Wars podcast and those who shared the poll, but still TLJ would appear to be very popular amongst this sample.

Attachments

• DA4CA50D-3DF3-4E5F-B2D0-1DF3E99AE6B4.png
    DA4CA50D-3DF3-4E5F-B2D0-1DF3E99AE6B4.png
    275.8 KB · Views: 89
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back