Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Re: Yoda... It was taken from the original moulds. I have a feeling a lot of visual issues many (including me) have with this movie have to do with choices of lenses and film stock. The saturation seems... weird. And a lot of stuff seems so wide-angle as to be almost visibly distorted.

Yoda looking effed up, though.... doesn't have anything to do with lens distortion.

Choice of lens focal length can make a HUGE difference in the appearance of a person's face, where lens effects are most noticeable. And it ties in to the discussion of Rey's face a few days ago, some folks commented that her face looked wider. Longer focal lengths have a compression effect, making faces look wider and flatter than a shorter (wide angle) lens would.

I have a question... Empire ended in one of the best cliffhangers EVER! We were left with SO MANY questions. The Force Awakens ended in the near exact way. We were left with SO MANY questions. The Last Jedi not only tossed all those questions away but we were left with... ?

Where is the cliffhanger? Where is the ALL important question leading to the next movie? Did I miss something?

I have a question... Empire ended in one of the best cliffhangers EVER! We were left with SO MANY questions. The Force Awakens ended in the near exact way. We were left with SO MANY questions. The Last Jedi not only tossed all those questions away but we were left with... ?

Where is the cliffhanger? Where is the ALL important question leading to the next movie? Did I miss something?

There are several questions remaining, but they aren't "mystery" questions the way TFA had.

1. What becomes of the New Rebellion (f.k.a. the Resistance)? They were decimated in this film, and although they clearly got a signal out, we have no idea what the impact of that will be.

2. What becomes of the Jedi? Will Rey found a new Jedi order? What will it look like? Who will be in it aside from her?

3. How long can Kylo Ren keep his hold on the First Order? It's clear he and Hux don't see eye-to-eye, but it remains to be seen whether he'd be the victim of some stab in the back. Or, for that matter, whether he might somehow relinquish control of the First Order as part of some heel-faceturn?

4. Will the First Order be defeated in Ep. IX? I mean, utterly defeated, not just "suffers a major loss". (My guess is "no.")

5. What will become of the various characters and how will they continue to develop?

You'll note that none of these are meta-questions. By which I mean none of them are questions or mysteries for the audience, the answers to which are already known by the characters. That's mostly what JJ left us with. Rey knows (at least in some sense) who her parents were. Luke knew why he left, as did Han and Leia, albeit not Luke's whole story. Really, the only remaining question for the characters was "Why is Rey so powerful?" The answer being "The Force chose her." I suppose we could still argue that the question of Rey's parentage is not entirely closed. It could be that there's more to Rey's parents than what we know currently, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rey really does know the truth and that they were nobodies.

There are several questions remaining, but they aren't "mystery" questions the way TFA had.

1. What becomes of the New Rebellion (f.k.a. the Resistance)? They were decimated in this film, and although they clearly got a signal out, we have no idea what the impact of that will be.

2. What becomes of the Jedi? Will Rey found a new Jedi order? What will it look like? Who will be in it aside from her?

3. How long can Kylo Ren keep his hold on the First Order? It's clear he and Hux don't see eye-to-eye, but it remains to be seen whether he'd be the victim of some stab in the back. Or, for that matter, whether he might somehow relinquish control of the First Order as part of some heel-faceturn?

4. Will the First Order be defeated in Ep. IX? I mean, utterly defeated, not just "suffers a major loss". (My guess is "no.")

5. What will become of the various characters and how will they continue to develop?

True, the kind of cliffhangers Empire had were "what's going to happen" type rather than "what happened, will it be explained".

You'll note that none of these are meta-questions. By which I mean none of them are questions or mysteries for the audience, the answers to which are already known by the characters. That's mostly what JJ left us with. Rey knows (at least in some sense) who her parents were. Luke knew why he left, as did Han and Leia, albeit not Luke's whole story. Really, the only remaining question for the characters was "Why is Rey so powerful?" The answer being "The Force chose her." I suppose we could still argue that the question of Rey's parentage is not entirely closed. It could be that there's more to Rey's parents than what we know currently, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rey really does know the truth and that they were nobodies.

Mmmm, this is where I kinda disagree. Rey is the protagonist therefore the viewer's vessel. Of course, there are things obvious to people, but not to her. Snoke for instance, most people around in the story know who he is or at least partly, but she doesn't have a clue who or what he is or his importance. Same applies for why Luke disappeared. Good storytelling is when the viewer learns things through the protagonist learning things. Much like Ben had to explain who Darth Vader and what the Force was to Luke in ANH.
But even with that, TFA left open for more than the mystery box cliffhangers:
- How will Luke react to Rey showing up on his lawn with his lightsaber
- What will happen to Finn who's been gravely injured (not explored)
- New Republic capital planets destroyed, what will happen now with regards to government (opening crawl sorted it)
- Starkiller destroyed, how will that affect the First Order (opening crawl sorted it)
- What does it mean "it's time to finish Kylo's training" (not explored)
- Will anything go down between Leia and Kylo given that both have the Force and Han was just killed by Ren (not explored)
- How will the Knights of Ren come into play (not explored)

I wish I could get behind all those questions - yet my initial gut reaction on first viewing is I simply don't care. Now I've seen this film 5 times mainly because of my kids and still I'm just not interested in these lightweight second act questions. In fact the more times I've seen this film the more boring and empty it becomes - the questions (response) hang off a dull (call).

Now the most interesting and original part of this film was Ray recounting her cave experience to Kylo - a beautiful and original charachter driven Star Wars sequence with its subversion of who she was telling it to, completely supporting the narrative. I just wish Rey had joined Kylo and a new confused morality had been set up for a fascinating answer in E9. But no, just more the-treading of dull tropes.

There is one question I'm still a little interested in. Rey had a vision of Kylo turning, Kylo had one of Rey turning. We're told that Snoke was giving them visions, but is it still open that one or both of those visions actually turns out to be true?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them both switch sides at some point.

Last edited:
True, the kind of cliffhangers Empire had were "what's going to happen" type rather than "what happened, will it be explained".

Exactly. There was no "But what did it all mean?!" at the end of Empire. It was just "Whoa...how are they gonna get Han back? And holy crap! What's it mean for Luke that VADER is his dad?!?!"

Mmmm, this is where I kinda disagree. Rey is the protagonist therefore the viewer's vessel. Of course, there are things obvious to people, but not to her. Snoke for instance, most people around in the story know who he is or at least partly, but she doesn't have a clue who or what he is or his importance. Same applies for why Luke disappeared. Good storytelling is when the viewer learns things through the protagonist learning things. Much like Ben had to explain who Darth Vader and what the Force was to Luke in ANH.
But even with that, TFA left open for more than the mystery box cliffhangers:
- How will Luke react to Rey showing up on his lawn with his lightsaber

Poorly.

- What will happen to Finn who's been gravely injured (not explored)

He healed up?

- New Republic capital planets destroyed, what will happen now with regards to government (opening crawl sorted it)

Don't remember it, but I'll take your word for it. To be fair, Star Wars has never really delved into the larger scale political impacts of the actions on screen. Like, we don't hear about how rebellion increased after the destruction of the first Death Star.

- Starkiller destroyed, how will that affect the First Order (opening crawl sorted it)

They mad.

- What does it mean "it's time to finish Kylo's training" (not explored)

We don't get to find out because Snoke got bisected, but I'm guessing it wasn't much. Probably Snoke just messing with him to keep him under control. Or maybe Snoke insisting he kill all of his family or whatever.

- Will anything go down between Leia and Kylo given that both have the Force and Han was just killed by Ren (not explored)

It kinda was in the sense of Leia accepting her son is really gone. (maybe)

- How will the Knights of Ren come into play (not explored)

Not yet. They may well show up in Ep. IX. I actually think it'd make sense to introduce them, especially if the theory is that Ben will either turn or be stabbed in the back at the end of IX and cease to be the primary antagonist.

I wish I could get behind all those questions - yet my initial gut reaction on first viewing is I simply don't care. Now I've seen this film 5 times mainly because of my kids and still I'm just not interested in these lightweight second act questions. In fact the more times I've seen this film the more boring and empty it becomes - the questions (response) hang off a dull (call).

I have a theory about that, actually. I think there are a few things at play. First, we've been conditioned -- especially by Ep. VII -- to expect that this film is going to "echo" the previous trilogy. So, everyone watching this film was looking for signposts that point back to ESB (and by implication, point to where we can expect the story to go). That creates a kind of familiarity, and a certain type of excitement: namely, the excitement of knowing what's about to happen and the anticipation of what it will look like. I think a lot of our entertainment works this way these days. It's either "mystery" drive and we're all trying to figure out the "mystery" or it's "signpost" driven and we all KNOW what's going to happen but the excitement is in the "Oh man, this is gonna be AWESOME" sense. A lot of this is related to why you see a ton of remakes and stuff that references existing material. That audience familiarity allows for a kind of excitement to occur.

What TLJ did, though, was to consciously subvert that whole structure. It played on your expectations and repeatedly showed you that they were wrong. Each time the film signposted towards "It's gonna go like it did in the other one" it would then move in a different direction. So, you start by expecting Luke to be the wise sage who trains Rey in a Yoda/Obi-Wan-like manner and....nope! He's a bitter old hermit who thinks the Jedi are screwed and deserve to end. You end up with big armored gorilla walkers marching along a pristine white landscape towards a Rebel base, and you're instantly thinking "It's gonna be just like Hoth!" but NOPE! It's salt, for starters, and the way the good guys get away is pretty different from Hoth (e.g., no disabling of the walkers, the speeder attacks are frustrated and the door is blown open, and the REAL victory comes from Luke's image proving that the First Order isn't all powerful). Moreover, it upends what we're meant to expect as the future. At the end of ESB, you see the medical frigate and some other ships flying in a fleet around another star or spiral galaxy or whatever (I forget), with the sense being that the Rebels escaped Hoth and are regrouping. Luke seems ready to go rescue Han, and Lando and Chewie are ready to head out and meet him on Tatooine when he gets there. In TLJ, the sense is that the New Rebellion is basically one freighter full of people. How the hell are they gonna beat the First Order? So, once again, the signpost is removed.

The implication (to me) is that the answer to "How the hell are they gonna beat the First Order?" is "They're not." Or rather, they aren't going to beat the First Order in the next movie. We're conditioned to expect that the next film will wrap up the story. I don't think it will, though. Certainly, I don't think it can convincingly. Even with a time jump, it's really, really hard to imagine that Crait led to this massive uprising that has now in the span of [n] years beaten back the First Order and is ready to deal the death blow if they can destroy [insert new superweapon here]. But my guess is that the next film will be much more about resolving character arcs, and that the larger plot will be left for subsequent films.

Now the most interesting and original part of this film was Ray recounting her cave experience to Kylo - a beautiful and original charachter driven Star Wars sequence with its subversion of who she was telling it to, completely supporting the narrative. I just wish Rey had joined Kylo and a new confused morality had been set up for a fascinating answer in E9. But no, just more the-treading of dull tropes.

Again, I wouldn't be so sure. It might play out that way, sure, but it could also play out with Kylo doing the heel-faceturn and at least becoming a "former villain" who now tries to move towards redemption in subsequent films, or who at least walks away from the First Order and the galaxy-wide war altogether.

Last edited:

The difference is ESB had things left that HAD to be answer. Flat out had to.

TLJ? Uhhh...no, not really. If there were no ROTJ, people would have been pissed as nothing was tied up. If there was no IX, would it matter a whole lot?

The rebellion won't be eradicated or it's over and the bad guys win. Of course rey moves on and Luke probably tells he she needs to do what he couldn't and find others to teach. The rest...meh, nothing crucial.

There's no, does han live or die, is vader really luke's father, etc.

The difference is ESB had things left that HAD to be answer. Flat out had to.

TLJ? Uhhh...no, not really. If there were no ROTJ, people would have been pissed as nothing was tied up. If there was no IX, would it matter a whole lot?

The rebellion won't be eradicated or it's over and the bad guys win. Of course rey moves on and Luke probably tells he she needs to do what he couldn't and find others to teach. The rest...meh, nothing crucial.

There's no, does han live or die, is vader really luke's father, etc.

There absolutely is.

Does Ben stay evil or turn away from it?

Will Rey found a new Jedi order or do something else?

Will the FO be defeated? How so?

Is Rey right about her parents? (I think so, but I also think there's gonna be some clarification.)

It's not quite as hard of a cliffhanger as ESB with respect to Han, but there's definitely stuff left to be answered.

I can understand if people don't find themselves in the same emotional place, as a result of dissatisfaction with the film, but that isn't the same as "There's nothing left to do here. No questions left to answer."

To tell you the truth,...I'm not dying to find out any of those points....there is the main question though

6. Will JJ Abrams rescue & restore the fans faith that the franchise is safe in Disney's hands

J

Some good points but one problem....

Nobody,literally no one but a few in the resistance know who the hell Rey is,I have a problem with her being some figure head when the totality of the galaxy will be going "And your who again?"

Kylo is the only one who could pull in people because of who's kid he is.

The whole film created a cast of nobodies that no one knows about and they are supposedly going to spark the new Rebellion? That's some grade A boo****e,sorry but the way I feel.

About the only ones who'd make a mark are Luke and from what I understand 'ol purple hair who kamikazed herself then Leia...maybe Ackbar.

So how's this gonna work again?
[h=2][/h]

This, this and tenfold this. THAT would have been a subversion of the same old formula. THAT would have been a twist with an outcome to look forward to for Ep9. Now we got evil black dude leading the big bad Empire against tiny Rebels. Familiar, innit...

There is one question I'm still a little interested in. Rey had a vision of Kylo turning, Kylo had one of Rey turning. We're told that Snoke was giving them visions, but is it still open that one or both of those visions actually turns out to be true?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them both switch sides at some point.

This would also have been a great thing to set up in TLJ. Really not sure if they will have enough time to set up, develop and pay off by the end of Ep9. Unless they want to go for Ep10 and carry on with this for god knows how long.

That's on Rian, I was talking about the end of TFA and the things to look forward to in Ep8.

He healed up?
Super-interesting turn of events indeed...

Don't remember it, but I'll take your word for it. To be fair, Star Wars has never really delved into the larger scale political impacts of the actions on screen. Like, we don't hear about how rebellion increased after the destruction of the first Death Star.
They kinda blew up the entire Hosnian system (whatever it was) in the middle of the movie therefore eradicating the New Republic per se.

They mad.
Wow...:)

We don't get to find out because Snoke got bisected, but I'm guessing it wasn't much. Probably Snoke just messing with him to keep him under control. Or maybe Snoke insisting he kill all of his family or whatever.
So it's just nipped in the bud without developing the idea anywhere. I start to see a pattern here.

It kinda was in the sense of Leia accepting her son is really gone. (maybe)
Again, put your hand on your heart and ask, how much more could have been made out of this single one concept.

Not yet. They may well show up in Ep. IX. I actually think it'd make sense to introduce them, especially if the theory is that Ben will either turn or be stabbed in the back at the end of IX and cease to be the primary antagonist.
That's pretty much the only concept left from this two movies that I'm still kind of curious about, but I have a feeling it's just gonna be a few laser-nunchaku wielding dudes who would look "duuuuuuuuude so aaaaaaaawesome" instead of anything. That one will be on JJ though.

I have a theory about that, actually. I think there are a few things at play. First, we've been conditioned -- especially by Ep. VII -- to expect that this film is going to "echo" the previous trilogy. So, everyone watching this film was looking for signposts that point back to ESB (and by implication, point to where we can expect the story to go). That creates a kind of familiarity, and a certain type of excitement: namely, the excitement of knowing what's about to happen and the anticipation of what it will look like. I think a lot of our entertainment works this way these days. It's either "mystery" drive and we're all trying to figure out the "mystery" or it's "signpost" driven and we all KNOW what's going to happen but the excitement is in the "Oh man, this is gonna be AWESOME" sense. A lot of this is related to why you see a ton of remakes and stuff that references existing material. That audience familiarity allows for a kind of excitement to occur.

What TLJ did, though, was to consciously subvert that whole structure. It played on your expectations and repeatedly showed you that they were wrong. Each time the film signposted towards "It's gonna go like it did in the other one" it would then move in a different direction.
This is where I again say it fell flat on the execution. I would actually ask something of you, or give a proposal. I posted it before, but if you have the time and interest, I would really genuinely be intrigued about your opinion on Thor Skywalker's "The Lost Jedi" fanfiction that's on Youtube. Most of those who disliked TLJ and listened to this story said they really enjoyed it and would have taken it over the existing movie in a whim. I really wonder what someone who actually liked TLJ would make out of it. It does not go in the re-tread the old movies route and it still feels to me that it develops the story in new and interesting directions while keeping expectations sort of subverted.

NOPE! It's salt, for starters
That made all the difference. :)

How the hell are they gonna beat the First Order? So, once again, the signpost is removed.

The implication (to me) is that the answer to "How the hell are they gonna beat the First Order?" is "They're not." Or rather, they aren't going to beat the First Order in the next movie. We're conditioned to expect that the next film will wrap up the story. I don't think it will, though. Certainly, I don't think it can convincingly. Even with a time jump, it's really, really hard to imagine that Crait led to this massive uprising that has now in the span of [n] years beaten back the First Order and is ready to deal the death blow if they can destroy [insert new superweapon here]. But my guess is that the next film will be much more about resolving character arcs, and that the larger plot will be left for subsequent films.
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away....
STAR WARS
Episode IX
Return of the Revenge

Due to Luke Sykwalker's heroic sacrifice at the battle of Crait innumerable worlds joined the RESISTANCE against the tyranny of the evil FIRST ORDER. Many years of raging war has pushed back Kylo Ren's forces to the Outer Rim and the Resistance prepares to strike a final blow.

In a desperate attempt to turn the tide of the war KYLO REN is on a quest to find powerful Sith artifacts. Following ancient dark side scriptures the FIRST ORDER is building the SUPERWEAPON.

General Leia is leading an expedition force trying to intercept his attempt to retrieve one of these and to prevent the FIRST ORDER from bringing darkness to the galaxy....

Sorted. Leia's ship can be shot down in the first scene, then we can carry on with our story. Plus this gives opportunity to develop a cartoon TV show to bridge the gap of the war between the tw omovies, so it works from a business perspective as well.

Some good points but one problem....
Nobody,literally no one but a few in the resistance know who the hell Rey is,I have a problem with her being some figure head when the totality of the galaxy will be going "And your who again?"
Yep, this is one of the main reasons why I think it was a mistake for TLJ to pick up exactly where TLJ left off. The whole thing went down in 2-3 days. Rey had no idea about the Force and Luke, 2 days later he goes on to challenge and try and defy Snoke...who she kiiiiinda heard of...?

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it hard to believe that Luke's deal at the end of the movie would inspire anyone into action if only because there were only like 10 people who saw a whole lot of smoke after the walkers shot the living hell out of Luke and then ran for their lives out the back of the cave.

Besides, who did Luke need to inspire when he had Rey on his front doorstep literally handing him a lightsaber?

Rey will kill Kylo Ren and that will be the end of it. Even if there are questions left to answer, there is no emotional underpinning for most of the audience to care about these characters and having some new intricate character development in the final installment will be rushed. Having Rey be a nobody is interesting as a concept but with the way it was executed it leaves little for us to latch onto.

There absolutely is.

Does Ben stay evil or turn away from it?

Will Rey found a new Jedi order or do something else?

Will the FO be defeated? How so?

Is Rey right about her parents? (I think so, but I also think there's gonna be some clarification.)

It's not quite as hard of a cliffhanger as ESB with respect to Han, but there's definitely stuff left to be answered.

I can understand if people don't find themselves in the same emotional place, as a result of dissatisfaction with the film, but that isn't the same as "There's nothing left to do here. No questions left to answer."

I think you touched on it. Emotion. From my perspective there was very little emotion or forward development invested in any of these characters within TLJ. The depth of character development in TFA took us on a fun filled adventure and we were left with a "WHAT THE HECK! You've Got to be Kidding!" moment when Rey hands Luke his saber and then "BOOM" the movie ends. For most of us, we WANTED MORE! We wanted to learn more. We actually cared about these characters. My favorite scene from TFA is Rey sitting at the foot of the ATAT looking up.

Sadly, and no matter how hard I tried, I didn't feel anything for anybody in TLJ (Luke and Leia scene aside). I saw nor felt any character development. For the first time ever... I didn't care!? Nor do I understand how they move forward to EP 9. Leaving 1/3rd of your audience in this frame of mind says a LOT about a film maker's ability to tear something down.

Sadly, and no matter how hard I tried, I didn't feel anything for anybody in TLJ (Luke and Leia scene aside). I saw nor felt any character development. For the first time ever... I didn't care!? Nor do I understand how they move forward to EP 9. Leaving 1/3rd of your audience in this frame of mind says a LOT about a film maker's ability to tear something down.

Perfectly said

J

I'm sure it was talked about somewhere within all these pages, but I just saw the mess up where Rey fighting the guard could have been stabbed in the back, but they just took out his weapon instead. Oops.....

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back