Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
So I watched again (kinda,still ignored some parts) and I still say this is one of the worst SW films out there,yes worse then the prequels,it's just too much like a bad TV show or cartoon or something and unless you're a die hard fan probably not worth a watch...because I know from here out I'm going to be very careful with spending time with SW movies,just too dumb.

I like SW but not a fan and never have been,just something I enjoyed and still do but it's getting goofy so it's something I can put aside,same as all the BAD late 60's and early 70's Godzilla movies-and I do LIKE Godzilla but not enough to suffer over it.

Why did you show me this? Urgh! I want to punch him in his stupid face. How the F can someone with that attitude to film making get hired to make movies in the biggest, most successful franchise? Kathleen Kennedy has proven to be a very bad judge of talent and ability. The firing and hiring of all the right or wrong people.
It angers me because there are so many Star Wars fans out there who fundamentally understand (SWIQ) and yet LFL seems to be populated by a carnival of c....s.

Breaking news: KK announces that the new Episode 9 director will be, Darren Aronofsky, the writer director of 'Mother!'. :lol...:(...:facepalm

Breaking news: KK announces that the new Episode 9 director will be, Darren Aronofsky, the writer director of 'Mother!'. [emoji38]...:(...:facepalm
It will feature Rey as a recovering heroine addict brought on by the death of Luke, and a biblical narrative using Leia as a sort of ****** figure. Oh, also everyone dies in the end.

Critics will call it beautiful but disturbing. It is complex and challenges traditional film making to make a giant leap into the future. Daisy Ridley's performance is tortured and compelling.

Star Wars: The Confines Of The Soul

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The Last Jedi is not so much challenging as it is challenged.

If he wanted to make art house movies and break molds and rules then he should have stuck to making avante garde films. There is an inherent structure built into Star Wars and if it's violated too much then it becomes something else entirely.

It's not even that he made choices that were contrary in order to serve the story, he made creative choices that make no logical sense and satisfied his own interests rather than tell a story that fit within the series as it had been established by the previous movies. I find it misguided that the critics called it "bold" and praised him for taking risks when it reality he made his own space movie and just slapped the Star Wars logo on it.

It's the equivalent of a teacher assigning a student a project and giving him or her a set of parameters that they must follow in order to pass. Within those confines the student can use their talents to make the project their own and perhaps even get us to look at things in a new way. In this case the student threw out the rules and made his own parameters therefore they didn't fit within the context of the other films and outright violated them insisting that the audience had been thinking about it all wrong. His vision was the way we should have been thinking about Star Wars rather than letting the previous seven films dictate what we should expect to see. It's arrogant and quite frankly insulting.

Thor Ragnarok was a great example of using the ideas established in the previous films and the director putting his own spin on it within the context of the other Thor films. He didn't have to contradict or violate the characters or plots of the first two films to tell his story and he didn't need to break any rules to do it either.

Great post

I avoided as much as I could any spoilers and discussion about TLJ so that I could have an open mind.

Spent the big bucks on the BestBuy Steelbok and have to say without a doubt; that was a horrible movie.

My wife, who is not a Star Wars fan, thinks the 1977 release looks better and that the prequals have a better story.

Usually when I don't like a movie, watching the behind the scenes will help appreciate the effort to make the film.

Nope!

Other than Mark Hamill, the "making of" was a self-licking ice cream cone featuring a parade of sycophants.

Also, not that you noticed, but, most of the detractors in the last few days are different people. The ones who are posting every day are the same five defenders of this travesty. At least two of which are ones who ALWAYS seem to be part of it when a thread stops being about the movie and becomes about attacking other RPF posters. Not sure why they are still even around, I can speculate about friendships, but facts are facts. If you’re going to talk about ****posters, there are a couple names that actually do show up every single time a fight breaks out and...oh look...here they are in this thread. Attacking anyone who, once again, doesn’t love one of the chosen films.

That's hardly an accurate description of what's been happening here.

For quite some time, this thread and pretty much any thread on the subject of Star Wars has been getting derailed by Mr. Webber especially, and some other posters, who basically drop in to vent their negative opinions about the film. This thread in particular has spent page upon page of people engaging in a round-robin of "This film sucks and Rian Johnson sucks, too. You said part of growing up means accepting that not everyone likes the same things as you? Tell it to the nattering nabobs of negativity who turn any thread on the current state of Star Wars into a non-stop bitch-fest.

Back when Neil was busy doing exactly the same thing with the Ghostbusters thread, someone brought up the analogy that this forum is like a bar. Everyone comes here to hang out and shoot the breeze. Not everyone has to be best buds, but for the most part, even those who don't see eye to eye can generally get along and coexist happily.

The problem arises when you get Cranky Frank who wants to do nothing but complain -- loudly -- and insert himself into every conversation that touches on his favorite subject about which to complain. It's difficult to carry on a conversation with other people when Frank keeps interjecting with stuff like "Well Ruin Johnson is just a hack, and he should be shot into the sun because TLJ is a horrible movie! It's just a horrible movie! Have I mentioned that I think it's a horrible movie? Because it is. And I thought I should tell you in case I hadn't previously told you it's a horrible movie. P.S., it's a horrible movie!" I get it. I got it the last umpteen zillion times you said it was a horrible movie, Frank.

As I've said repeatedly, I get that not everyone likes TLJ, and I understand why aspects of it are as controversial as they are. I don't personally have a problem with people simply disliking a film. What I have a problem with is people hijacking every thread about Star Wars and turning into their personal platform to bitch about this film and everything related to it, especially when they have basically nothing to add to the discussion that they haven't already said ad infinitum on every other thread on the subject.

By contrast, I have thoroughly enjoyed my discussion with sztriki on the Episode IX thread. He and I have had some long exchanges lately, and they've been fantastic! It's been a really interesting discussion and one that has been carried out in an entirely civil manner. It's been great. I would love more discussions like that with people who dislike the film, and if that were the general tone and approach to people disliking it, I'd have zero problem with it. The difference is that there's an actual exchange of ideas, actual discourse, and not just endless variations on "This film sucks." Let's have actual discussions about the film, or the direction of the Star Wars franchise. If that's not possible, then let's either just lock all the threads, or maybe the mods/admins should step in. The danger in allowing this stuff to go unchecked is that the bar ends up deserted and all you have left is Cranky Frank and a few other folks just doing that same round-robin until they turn the lights out.

Finally, just as a general rule, I think if you or anyone else has a problem with a specific member, either PM them directly, or talk about them by name specifically so that they can at least respond directly. Don't do the "SOME people (who shall remain nameless) are ****posters" thing. Tell it to their face or take it to PMs. If you just can't remember the names, that's one thing, but when you know who you're talking about, speak up and be prepared to defend your position against the person about whom you're speaking.

That's hardly an accurate description of what's been happening here.

For quite some time, this thread and pretty much any thread on the subject of Star Wars has been getting derailed by Mr. Webber especially,

Really? I havent posted in this thread for nearly two months so your shady premise fails at the very start. So sad and desperate you are to try and compare me to Neil. Your goal is obvious and rather distasteful to say the least.

I said in my last post all that time ago that I reserve a last visit here one last time to comment on The Wook`s review but as thats never going to happen as he cant bring himself to watch it twice, and who could blame him, I used it to post a funny review that has had 3 million views online in three days.

Really? I havent posted in this thread for nearly two months so your shady premise fails at the very start. So sad and desperate you are to try and compare me to Neil. Your goal is obvious and rather distasteful to say the least.

I said in my last post all that time ago that I reserve a last visit here one last time to comment on The Wook`s review but as thats never going to happen as he cant bring himself to watch it twice, and who could blame him, I used it to post a funny review that has had 3 million views online in three days.
Well, you'll pardon me if you seem damn near omnipresent in the other threads which aren't even about TLJ, relentlessly complaining at how awful the film was, what a hack Rian Johnson is, and the like. You don't seem interested in anything approaching actual conversation unless it's to bellyache about the film and Johnson.

Can we maybe move past that and talk about something else for a change? Like, hey, maybe talk about what you'd like to see for the future of Star Wars, given where it's gone so far. Or maybe speculate on where you think the story itself will go next. Or maybe ponder about what they could do with the story in another medium or whatever. Or, I dunno, have conversations like the one sztriki and I have been having. To me, that conversation proves that people who like and dislike the film cam have good conversations about it that don't just devolve into "Yeah well I think the film sucks and RJ is a hack," vs "whatever. You just don't get it."

Or, if none of that interests you, then why not just start a thread titled "Star Wars is Dead," where you and anyone else who pleases can spend your time dissecting everything you think has gone wrong.

Well, you'll pardon me if you seem damn near omnipresent in the other threads which aren't even about TLJ, relentlessly complaining at how awful the film was, what a hack Rian Johnson is, and the like. You don't seem interested in anything approaching actual conversation unless it's to bellyache about the film and Johnson.

Can we maybe move past that and talk about something else for a change? Like, hey, maybe talk about what you'd like to see for the future of Star Wars, given where it's gone so far. Or maybe speculate on where you think the story itself will go next. Or maybe ponder about what they could do with the story in another medium or whatever. Or, I dunno, have conversations like the one sztriki and I have been having. To me, that conversation proves that people who like and dislike the film cam have good conversations about it that don't just devolve into "Yeah well I think the film sucks and RJ is a hack," vs "whatever. You just don't get it."

Or, if none of that interests you, then why not just start a thread titled "Star Wars is Dead," where you and anyone else who pleases can spend your time dissecting everything you think has gone wrong.

Why dont you just use the ignore button? There`s been nearly 70 pages of strictly negative comments in this thread since I stopped posting so spare me the dramatics. Just because my comments arent a page long, they go far beyond just the film sucks or Rj is a hack. I dont think Star Wars is dead, Disney Star Wars, two separate things, is trying to kill it but I hardly think that needs its own thread to discuss that.

Last edited:
Why dont you just use the ignore button? There`s been nearly 70 pages of strictly negative comments in this thread since I stopped posting so spare me the dramatics. I dont think Star Wars is dead, Disney Star Wars, two separate things, is trying to kill it but I hardly think that needs its own thread to discuss that.

I can count on one hand the number of people on this board I've ever ignored, and I've been here since 1999 before the board changed over. I don't usually ignore people because I like to think that they have something interesting to say, even when I disagree with them. Even then, I've taken the people I did ignore in the past off of ignore, usually because I saw their posts quoted in other people's posts and realized that either they'd mellowed, I'd mellowed, or they had something interesting to say now.

You seem to think that my issue is with people who post negative comments. It's not, and my interaction with most of the folks with whom I disagree on TLJ and the direction Disney is taking the franchise -- yourself notwithstanding -- demonstrates that. I'm perfectly capable of having a discussion with someone who dislikes the film, assuming they're capable of doing more than just finding snide variations of saying "TLJ sucks, RJ sucks, and Disney's Star Wars sucks." My issue with you, specifically, is not simply your conduct in this thread, but rather the fact that in all three of the other Star Wars threads, that's basically all you have to offer. Other people have taken a somewhat similar tone, but you are by far the most visible in your particular brand of negativity.

Holding a negative view isn't the problem. Saying nothing beyond "It sucks" is. You may not remember this, but Neil and I actually agreed on many of the pre-release criticisms of the new Ghostbusters film, and although I didn't end up seeing it, it sounded like some of those criticisms were borne out in the final product. And yet, Neil grew to be exactly like you're behaving now: if there was anything remotely to do with Ghostbusters, there he'd be, making sure that everyone knew how much he hated it and those involved in the making of the film...and that was about it. It was incredibly tedious, it derailed threads, and it offered zero by way of interesting discussion. It was bitching for the sake of bitching and that's it.

I get that there are a lot of people disappointed by TLJ and concerned about the direction of the franchise. I think there are good conversations to be had with those folks in spite of the fact that I disagree with their take on the state of the franchise. And yeah, you aren't the only one who does this, but you're certainly the one who comes to mind most readily when I think of "Who's relentlessly popping up in Star Wars threads to say little more than 'The new stuff sucks'"? Seriously, I get it. You don't like it. It's cool. Just, I dunno, find something else to talk about maybe, or find something interesting to say beyond "RUIN Johnson and Disney are determined to exile the old guard!" or whatever.

I can count on one hand the number of people on this board I've ever ignored, and I've been here since 1999 before the board changed over. I don't usually ignore people because I like to think that they have something interesting to say, even when I disagree with them. Even then, I've taken the people I did ignore in the past off of ignore, usually because I saw their posts quoted in other people's posts and realized that either they'd mellowed, I'd mellowed, or they had something interesting to say now.

You seem to think that my issue is with people who post negative comments. It's not, and my interaction with most of the folks with whom I disagree on TLJ and the direction Disney is taking the franchise -- yourself notwithstanding -- demonstrates that. I'm perfectly capable of having a discussion with someone who dislikes the film, assuming they're capable of doing more than just finding snide variations of saying "TLJ sucks, RJ sucks, and Disney's Star Wars sucks." My issue with you, specifically, is not simply your conduct in this thread, but rather the fact that in all three of the other Star Wars threads, that's basically all you have to offer. Other people have taken a somewhat similar tone, but you are by far the most visible in your particular brand of negativity.

Holding a negative view isn't the problem. Saying nothing beyond "It sucks" is. You may not remember this, but Neil and I actually agreed on many of the pre-release criticisms of the new Ghostbusters film, and although I didn't end up seeing it, it sounded like some of those criticisms were borne out in the final product. And yet, Neil grew to be exactly like you're behaving now: if there was anything remotely to do with Ghostbusters, there he'd be, making sure that everyone knew how much he hated it and those involved in the making of the film...and that was about it. It was incredibly tedious, it derailed threads, and it offered zero by way of interesting discussion. It was bitching for the sake of bitching and that's it.

I get that there are a lot of people disappointed by TLJ and concerned about the direction of the franchise. I think there are good conversations to be had with those folks in spite of the fact that I disagree with their take on the state of the franchise. And yeah, you aren't the only one who does this, but you're certainly the one who comes to mind most readily when I think of "Who's relentlessly popping up in Star Wars threads to say little more than 'The new stuff sucks'"? Seriously, I get it. You don't like it. It's cool. Just, I dunno, find something else to talk about maybe, or find something interesting to say beyond "RUIN Johnson and Disney are determined to exile the old guard!" or whatever.

Yeah and I get that you keep on harping that my comments are simply bitching as you think that brings some gravitas to your weightless comments and will help to achieve your ultimate aim but it is far from simple bitching. Take a look at my recent posts in the RJ Trilogy thread...just bitching? I think not. I`m not bothered that you feel the need to make me the poster boy for the huge anti TLJ group. I`m happy for you that you can have your benchmark discussions but dont try to impose that standard on the rest of us.

Last edited:
As Webber stated, he hadn't posted in weeks. Neil hasn't been here in months and can't even respond.

There have been names that have been there for all of the drama every time it happens though. I'm not even going to bother calling individuals out because that's kind of what I'm talking about.

Debate is a good thing. It allows both sides to present their case in a rational manner.

Let me get this straight. When you said in post #4016.......

That's not literal? Okay, then what is that if not a literal statement. Because it looks more like you're backpedaling now that I've backed up my claims with an actual scientific study.

I don't need my statements taken out of context and made to look exaggerated as you pretended.

What is plain as day?

I don't really need to know about your chores. You can take all the time you want responding, if you do indeed choose to respond.
yeah. i'm not biting...i'm gonna wash my hair now( for those that can't quite grasp humor because it's lack of science, i don't have any hair lol)

So after watching it again and sitting,thinking I can point to one other strange thing that was jarring:

Luke,he was NOT Luke and it reared it's head in one scene-when he was reunited with R2-D2 for a split second he sounded like the old Luke then bam! He went back to that weird voice that sounded like Hamill was using his voice acting skills for Batman or something.

I'm sure if I watched it more I'd find other bizarre things in it,the movie is just a mess and makes want to go watch TPM and see Jar-Jar again! :confused at least he was entertaining....

Interesting quote from Rian in this CNN article.

CNN: Rian, was there ever a version of this story where you didn't kill Luke?

Johnson: It's not something where it was like, "This has to happen in this movie." It was something we got to organically. It was never like a mandate. It was a big thing. It was not something I ever wanted to do. It was not even something I decided and that was it... It would be the easiest thing in the world [to not kill Luke] You just don't fade him out at the end, you just leave him on the island. It would have been simple. It was something I gave lots of thought to all the up to the very end of the process.

Last Jedi director Rian Johnson talks classic movies with host Alicia Malone, translates some robot speak, and remembers what it was like asking his grandparents to fund his first film. He also imagines what would happen if he could tell his 5-year-old self: “you’ll be directing a Star Wars film!” We also chat with Turner Classic Movies host Ben Mankiewicz, who does a great Mel Brooks impersonation.

http://podcasts.cnn.net/epvs/v2/91/96/10978/filmstruck-podcast.aff0bab98eaeb6f3.1-1.mp3?mtp=a&dvc=1

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-filmstruck-podcast/id1304584777?mt=2

Last edited by a moderator:
In a recent star wars interview for the blu ray release Hamill and Johnson did an interview. Hamill had this to say.

"We were happy to ruin people's childhoods. They have such an investment in it, you know? They feel they have a sense of ownership, and I totally get that. I feel the same way. Things don't always go the way I like them, either."

That first line speaks volumes and he knows it.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that this or the prequels ruined my childhood. That's insane. I had a wonderful childhood and a poor movie sequel to my favorite series is not going to change that or take it away from me. When people say things like that I just roll my eyes. Stop being so melodramatic.

I would say that I am angry that they didn't seem to treat the characters I truly loved with much respect.

I would also say that I don't care for the direction the series is taking.

I would also say that I am angry that they don't seem to regard a lot of the fan base with much respect either.

At the end of the day it IS just a movie. I have an amazing life and this isn't going to ruin that and it doesn't make me regard anyone who likes the movie with any less respect. I may not understand your tastes and strongly disagree with you, but when it comes down to it, we are all here on this forum because we love Star Wars (and all kinds of other cool stuff) so there it is. Geek on!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back