Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
It's nice that everyone had such happy and wonderful lives after their triumphant victory over the empire in ROTJ.

Luke living an isolated life in a self imposed exile until he dies.
Han scraping together a life as a smuggler after failed marriage and losing his beloved ship......until he dies.
Lea having a failed marriage and the knowledge that he son is genocidal maniac complicit in the death of millions.

I hope Lando's at least living it up!
Welcome to reality son..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sigh...i think all of the reviews here pretty much reflect my sentiment on this film.
What an utter disappointment.

Its as though Rian went out of his way to crap all over the original characters, and shove them out of the story just to make way for the new kids.

Ugggh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you really want to have some fun, read the Imbd user reviews.

I think it's clear people are overreacting when they're begging for Uncle George to come back. Yes this movie was ultimately a disappointment considering the huge expectations I had for it, but apparently people haven't watched TPM or AOTC in a while because those are truly bad SW movies. Take Darth Maul's 15 minutes of screen time out of TPM and it's not just a bad SW movie, it's quite possibly one of the worst movies ever made. At least the Last Jedi had some redeeming qualities, but unfortunately they're outweighed by so many of the bad choices that were made by Rian Johnson and Co.

As a 47 yr-old SW fan, I'm going to share my opinion. This is ironic because I believe opinion is the lowest form of human communication, as it requires almost NO knowledge & absolutely NO experience. Plus, I know what I like, & usually give less than two fornications about others opinions. That said, here's what I took away...

Rey has almost Starkiller (from Force Unleashed VG) level of force power. She's shaping up to be more powerful than the most powerful Jedi we've seen in the past, namely Anakin. I'm seeing the connection that they were both sold into slavery, & the broom boy at the end was also a slave.

Next thing- the Force is doing what it wants, without the restrictions put on it by any Order. Luke continued telling Rey what we've learned in the past... The great things we've learned about the Jedi, we're nothing but the "certain point of view" that Ben told him to convince him to train. All Jedi that we know to have survived have admitted at one time or another, that the Jedi were arrogant & blind to what was going on in the Force itself. If you were Force sensitive, you HAD to be either Jedi or Sith,& even if you were powerful, they unilaterally had the selfish appointed authority to deny someone training. The Force is going to show that IT is the power, not those that are able to wield it.

Luke's knowledge of what had happened in the past was told him by either Yoda or Ben while he's been in exile. He was not surprised to see Yoda, so it must not have been an unusual occurrence. Along these lines, Yoda reminding Luke that EVERYTHING he had been warned about on Dagobah, had completely come to pass. Mainly, Luke arrogantly claimed to not be afraid. Yoda did he would be & that's exactly how he ended up.

I also think that his last line in ESB was going to come to pass. From what I've heard, nothing was changed because of Carrie Fisher passing, & that TFA was Han's movie, this one was Luke's, & the next was to be Leia's. Nothing wrong with it, but with the unspoken Disney mandate of strong female leads, I can see the huge saviour of the Skywalker Saga being Leia's motherly unconditional love. Another nail in the coffin of the Jedi order, as Leia's attachment to her son would be what possibly saved him.

A few other things I may share later, but I just had to get these few things off my chest.

All I know (according to this film) is that in 40 years, the rebellion/resistance and the Jedi have accomplished nothing. TLJ punctuates this point and even leaves us with a "Well, we're screwed, but there will be others..." WTF?!

Sure, there have been a few short lived victories over the decades, but it's always come at the cost of millions of lives. A planet here, a temple full of Younglings there, etc. As others have noted, no character is better off having lived as part of the rebellion or a Jedi. If anything, just being around these people is a death sentence or at best, a life of pain and struggling.

At least when we all first met Luke (and the universe was under control of the Empire) people had somewhat meaningful lives, there was fair trade, commerce and relative stability. Hell, Luke even had ambition and wanted to go to the academy! BUT, from the moment he met Ben it all went sideways.

TLJ teaches us the rebels are really ****ty at what they do. The Jedi; a quirky group of wizards who do more harm than good with one fool's errand after another. This film did everything short of showing Chewie shooting up to make room for the new team.

Boy, when taken for its full measure, what a really sad and tragic life Luke Skywalker had.

His life was marked more by pain and sadness than anything else.

Here's a GREAT tribute video that gives a lot of perspective regarding his life:

https://youtu.be/Rme4HrOL8vwb

I have to believe that Luke's tragic tale is not the way George Lucas originally envisioned Luke's story to go; however, unfortunately, a tragic hero is what he has become.

Last edited:
Vader being Luke's father is critical to the story being told. How Snoke was able to pollute Ben isn't material, what matters is that he did it and we are told it happened. How it happened is less meaningful for the story on screen we just saw. You are conflating a want and a need.

I am not sure how you could write all that and mean it at the same time. That is your point of view. You cannot expect what is important to you to have to be what is important to another. All Star Wars Fans want to knows and needs to knows are valid to them As your opinion is valid to you. Those of us that truly cherish the Original Trilogy for what it meant and means to us I believe set a high standard for what should come next. In what needs to be explained and what does not. To most id does to some it does not. For one side to tell the other what way to think about how they should feel or what they should want from these films is completely wrong.

Don't get me wrong I am not coming from a for the sake of argument place in posting this.
I just feel it is wrong to tell someone in a forum or any place actually how they should feel because that is the way you feel. Just feels bullyish and not cool to me.

Everyones personal point of view is valid plain and simple.

If you like the movie great if you don't that is great to. It is just nice to hear everyones hopes for what this film would be and what it actually turned out to be in their own valid opinions.

There was a lot left out that needed to be explained here and not in the next. I did like it but also did feel very much like one other here said. Which was after watching TLJ that Star Wars as I grew to know it had truly died with this film. I don't actually need to know anymore. In fact after TFA I had the same feeling but held out hope for this one.
I liked it because it gave me moments I wanted. Every moment Luke had reuniting with his friends and family made me very happy to see. Those being Chewy-Leia-R2D2-3PO-Yoda and to a certain point of view the Falcon. They were all very touching and emotional to me which I what I would have wanted no matter what. Now I have that and am at peace with Losing my Childhood Movie Hero Luke Skywalker. He drove the movies and joy for me in his friends along the way. Knowing that he made the decision and essentially gave his all for the ones he loved on his own terms and he is now peacefully one with the force is what I wanted at his end. The twin suns scene was beautiful end of his arc.

What I did not like was being pulled into conversation after conversation with friends and family with who are Reys parents, how does she have all this power. Who is Snoke and why is he so powerful. Most importantly why does Ben hate his family so much.

None of that was explained. I found the only reason I was invested in any way in these new characters was for those reasons. The want to know who and why. Kylo and Luke both asked the question why, like 50 times in this movie. Why can't I. I did not get any character driving explanation on any of them to like or dislike. Just that Reys parents are terrible and nobody. Snoke was also nobody. George did like to explain these things. Maybe that spoiled me. But I do believe we all deserve better explanations to those questions they set up for us to wonder in TFA only to drop the ball on all of them. Really did feel like a slap in the face that we were supposed to wonder and care but the writers felt no need to fulfill any of them.

Those are some of my feelings and thoughts on this movie. They are mine and they are Valid and so is every other fans individual opinion.

May the force be with you all :)

Just got home from TLJ, and I have to admit I really enjoyed the movie. It was different, that is for sure, but that was refreshing. I still love ESB and the OT. I have grown to enjoy the prequels, but I'll be honest, I did not enjoy them the first time I watched them. I felt the performances of this movie were superior to the prequels, but that is merely my opinion (and from a certain POV).

I know Luke disappeared, but it was almost too obvious that he "died". I'm not sure if Leia experienced Force ghosts like Luke did, or if she really had as much formal training as Luke had from his ghosts, the skimmed texts and whatever other methods. The structure of the Jedi died in the prequels, Luke was never one of that structure, and Rey will not be like Luke (though their common bond witl be that they are champions of the Light side of the Force).

I think the very presence of Yoda, and what he does in the movie speaks to what a Force ghost can be capable of, which is on par with what Rebels was doing with the Bendu and the Clone Wars with the Whills. Force beings that seem to exist beyond the physical form.

Kylo's arc is one of someone who focuses on the negative, and wants control. He isn't so much "dark" as Vader or Sidious or even what little we saw of Snoke. He does have father issues, which speaks to the importance of family and abandonment of a child. He still loved his mom, who obviously won't be in the next movie.

Luke, like Kylo, focused on the negative, but in his case, it was his failures that wore him down. Kylo's focus was that of abandonment. Snoke's evil was sadistic, inline with Sidious. I do believe he may have been more "powerful" than Vader or Sidious, but the dark side clouds ego, and confidence blinded him.

Kylo is now in charge of a damaged First Order. As much as they seemed in charge and powerful, they've now lost their major base and major ship. They may have numbers at the end of the movie, but the Rebels seem to have the will of the people. Star Wars does not have a middle class. Either you are poor or you are rich (or a thief). It is a simple story, meshing medieval era concepts with WW2 tactics and weapons (lasers replace bullets, space water, but basically the same).

The romance was a bit confusing, as I saw triangles. Rose and Finn. Rey and Finn. Rey and Kylo. Connix and Poe. It was subtle to me.

Phasma, like Snoke, was a tool to move the story along. Both dying shows us the First Order is in as much trouble as the Rebellion. Wars are driving themselves out of business, which might be an under current to the movie and may enter into episode 9. Rey without a working lightsaber tends to be pushing her towards how the original Je'daii, which does open up possibilities.

The Chewy and Porgs were pretty funny to me. I know, it was for obvious laughs, but that doesn't mean it was bad. This is all I can think of at the moment. I have the Empire Strikes Back on as I type this, and I'm going to go back to watching. CP3O interrupted Han and Leia...

Just got back...Went in with an open mind for the kids sake, hes 10. He loved it BTW.

My take...

WTF was that???? Ryan Johnson is AWFUL! Do you have to be full blown ADHD to piece this mess together? A few seconds of this, a few seconds of that...WTF!

I loved TFA, this mess is below ROTS for me, and that says A LOT!

I am not sure how you could write all that and mean it at the same time. That is your point of view. You cannot expect what is important to you to have to be what is important to another. All Star Wars Fans want to knows and needs to knows are valid to them As your opinion is valid to you. Those of us that truly cherish the Original Trilogy for what it meant and means to us I believe set a high standard for what should come next. In what needs to be explained and what does not. To most id does to some it does not. For one side to tell the other what way to think about how they should feel or what they should want from these films is completely wrong.

Don't get me wrong I am not coming from a for the sake of argument place in posting this.
I just feel it is wrong to tell someone in a forum or any place actually how they should feel because that is the way you feel. Just feels bullyish and not cool to me.

Everyones personal point of view is valid plain and simple.

If you like the movie great if you don't that is great to. It is just nice to hear everyones hopes for what this film would be and what it actually turned out to be in their own valid opinions.

There was a lot left out that needed to be explained here and not in the next. I did like it but also did feel very much like one other here said. Which was after watching TLJ that Star Wars as I grew to know it had truly died with this film. I don't actually need to know anymore. In fact after TFA I had the same feeling but held out hope for this one.
I liked it because it gave me moments I wanted. Every moment Luke had reuniting with his friends and family made me very happy to see. Those being Chewy-Leia-R2D2-3PO-Yoda and to a certain point of view the Falcon. They were all very touching and emotional to me which I what I would have wanted no matter what. Now I have that and am at peace with Losing my Childhood Movie Hero Luke Skywalker. He drove the movies and joy for me in his friends along the way. Knowing that he made the decision and essentially gave his all for the ones he loved on his own terms and he is now peacefully one with the force is what I wanted at his end. The twin suns scene was beautiful end of his arc.

What I did not like was being pulled into conversation after conversation with friends and family with who are Reys parents, how does she have all this power. Who is Snoke and why is he so powerful. Most importantly why does Ben hate his family so much.

None of that was explained. I found the only reason I was invested in any way in these new characters was for those reasons. The want to know who and why. Kylo and Luke both asked the question why, like 50 times in this movie. Why can't I. I did not get any character driving explanation on any of them to like or dislike. Just that Reys parents are terrible and nobody. Snoke was also nobody. George did like to explain these things. Maybe that spoiled me. But I do believe we all deserve better explanations to those questions they set up for us to wonder in TFA only to drop the ball on all of them. Really did feel like a slap in the face that we were supposed to wonder and care but the writers felt no need to fulfill any of them.

Those are some of my feelings and thoughts on this movie. They are mine and they are Valid and so is every other fans individual opinion.

May the force be with you all :)

I agree. I am having a hard time with not explaining Snoke more. Sure, the Emperor was already the established high power in the original trilogy and everyone was absolutely frightened to even hear of this guy. As far as a need to know much of his back story, it wasn't a necessity as he was the galactic ruler of this original army.

Ignoring going backwards into the prequels (because I'm wanting to move forward in time) we now have Snoke. This villain should be treated particularly different in nature because SOMEHOW he gained control of the Emperor's rank as Supreme Leader, only how did he go from seemingly non-existent at the crippling of the Empire's Death Star II, to being the man-in-charge? And how did he even tap into Ben and seduce him to the dark side? This is a BIG hole in the story and it needed explanation. We already have established history among 6 films and that's why this needs sense made of it. Where does Snoke come out of and assume the command of the First Order?

I thought the Knights of Ren would play a featured role in this fighting alongside Kylo, but there was not one to be found. which then leads me to wonder.....

The visions Rey had. It appears the story of Kylo's turn and destruction of the old temple was at a much different point than when Kylo and the Knights came in to slaughter the students in that heavy rainfall. SO it makes me wonder if that vision was an event that has not yet come to pass and that the Knights of Ren will be rounded up before the events of episode 9 and be involved in an attack on Rey's encampment and that it was a vision of failure on her part? Who knows and that is my only speculation at this point. All I know is NONE of this stuff was explained in TLJ and it's like they just threw those things out to move on to other things.

There were so many things wrong with it that it left me a bit sour in the end. I do look forward to seeing it again, as normally the second time is more enjoyable when I'm not analyzing so much.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back