Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Bad news everyone, TLJ is even worse on the small screen on home video. Its bad writing, off pacing, horrible characters, terrible acting... are all enhanced by not having a giant movie screen to visually distract with background details. How this story made it to a pitch, treatment, script phase, green lite, filmed, edited both rough cut and final lock, and released to the public is mind boggling.

How this story made it to a pitch, treatment, script phase, green lite, filmed, edited both rough cut and final lock, and released to the public is mind boggling.
It's a great question. Why did Disney put so much faith in Rian, when they have fired four other directors? Why was it all up to him, why didn't they bring in the story group, bring in a writers room? There were a thousand ways the story could have gone. Rian chose to frame the film around a 36 hour slow speed chase, a mission to nowhere for no reason, Force Facetime, and making Luke a coward who dies from exhaustion after never leaving the island he's on at the end of TFA. You can't tell me I live in a universe where Disney heard that pitch and loved it, yet here we are.

It's a great question. Why did Disney put so much faith in Rian, when they have fired four other directors? Why was it all up to him, why didn't they bring in the story group, bring in a writers room? There were a thousand ways the story could have gone. Rian chose to frame the film around a 36 hour slow speed chase, a mission to nowhere for no reason, Force Facetime, and making Luke a coward who dies from exhaustion after never leaving the island he's on at the end of TFA. You can't tell me I live in a universe where Disney heard that pitch and loved it, yet here we are.
I would surmise the same reason why the prequels turned out the way they did. Kathleen Kennedy is probably surrounded by people who only agree with her no matter how awful the idea is much like Lucas apparently was during the prequels.

Well that should come as no surprise, I barely sat through it a second time but I was corralled in by a Lfl employee so.... :unsure

Bad news everyone, TLJ is even worse on the small screen on home video. Its bad writing, off pacing, horrible characters, terrible acting... are all enhanced by not having a giant movie screen to visually distract with background details. How this story made it to a pitch, treatment, script phase, green lite, filmed, edited both rough cut and final lock, and released to the public is mind boggling.

Literally every complaint levied towards the treatements of Luke in the film is directly addressed by Rian and Mark in real unedited time in this doc. It won’t change anyone’s mind but it’s an unflinching and unbiased look at their creative choices and process.

I swear to god I'm not saying this to be a contrarian for the sake of it, but I just finished watching it and could not find where every complaint levied were addressed. Maybe the one that's on Youtube (see how long it'll last) is truncated? It's 1hr 35 mins long. Mark said what he had said in interviews that he disagreed with everything, but it's Rian's vision and it's up to him to give the best performance to help fulfill that and they say some very nice things about each other but that's pretty much it, it really doesn't go into details. In fact it doesn't go deep in anything, it's more like a production diary of mostly random footage put together with very minimal commentary. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that style of BTS as well, and I think it worked better than the TFA bonus material where it was basically people saying how wonderful everything is and how much everyone respects everyone and everything but it wasn't an in-depth thing for me, let alone the best behind the scene footage in years. Maybe I'm missing bits of it?

I swear to god I'm not saying this to be a contrarian for the sake of it, but I just finished watching it and could not find where every complaint levied were addressed. Maybe the one that's on Youtube (see how long it'll last) is truncated? It's 1hr 35 mins long. Mark said what he had said in interviews that he disagreed with everything, but it's Rian's vision and it's up to him to give the best performance to help fulfill that and they say some very nice things about each other but that's pretty much it, it really doesn't go into details. In fact it doesn't go deep in anything, it's more like a production diary of mostly random footage put together with very minimal commentary. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that style of BTS as well, and I think it worked better than the TFA bonus material where it was basically people saying how wonderful everything is and how much everyone respects everyone and everything but it wasn't an in-depth thing for me, let alone the best behind the scene footage in years. Maybe I'm missing bits of it?

No, that's all of it. Obviously it can't delve into exploring a myriad of "what if's" but it shows there conflict and reconciliation to move forward. I think everyone should at least give it a watch, it's the best we've had since Attack of the Clones "Pixels" doc.

No, that's all of it. Obviously it can't delve into exploring a myriad of "what if's" but it shows there conflict and reconciliation to move forward. I think everyone should at least give it a watch, it's the best we've had since Attack of the Clones "Pixels" doc.
Oh yea that is there and they’re both professionals. Rian looks like a cool dude too. And it put the speculations about Mark not knowing Luke’s fate to rest. Admittedly I was wondering about that too but it’s cleared. The ending with Mark and Carrie was really nice too. It is deffos worth a watch and I’m hardly a fan of the movie.

Last edited:
Literally every complaint levied towards the treatements of Luke in the film is directly addressed by Rian and Mark in real unedited time in this doc. It won’t change anyone’s mind but it’s an unflinching and unbiased look at their creative choices and process.
I think it's safe to say that whatever your opinion of how Luke was treated, it will be reinforced by this doc. I have seen it twice now and the shots of a sad Mark Hamill are brutal to watch. If you hated how Luke was treated, this doc will make you angry. If you loved how he was treated, your reaction will be pure delight.

The fact that they have included a full length documentary chronicling the dispute between Mark Hamill and Rian Johnson over the direction of Luke's story is absolutely absurd. Rian got what he wanted. Do we really need to witness it?

I watched a few of the featurettes and what a load of crap each one of his explanations is. The ideas are so disjointed and make no sense at all.

Of course Mark had no choice but to go along with whatever they asked of him because he is a professional and he was contractually obligated to. I don't know Rian Johnson personally and maybe he's the sweetest guy in the world, but good Lord did he make some horrible creative decisions! I think it's telling if the man who almost single handedly represented Star Wars since the beginning has major issues with what you are doing, maybe you should have listened to him. He knows the character better than anyone else in the world.

I can't help but think of Commander Courage and Don Swan.

"I hate everything you've done to my character. I disavow it." -Mark Hamill

We do too Mark. We do too.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to hate the movie. I'm just baffled. And pissed off that they would allow this to happen.

Last edited:
The fact that they have included a full length documentary chronicling the dispute between Mark Hamill and Rian Johnson over the direction of Luke's story is absolutely absurd. Rian got what he wanted. Do we really need to witness it?
That's what I was thinking but watching the whole feature it turned out that it really isn't about that. Maybe the title is misleading, it's basically a production diary with very minimal commentary. They do touch on a couple of issues, but it does not go in-depth with regards to anything really. It's a pretty chilled out BTS thing.

I watched a few of the featurettes and what a load of crap each one of his explanations is. The ideas are so disjointed and make no sense at all.

Of course Mark had no choice but to go along with whatever they asked of him because he is a professional and he was contractually obligated to. I don't know Rian Johnson personally and maybe he's the sweetest guy in the world, but good Lord did he make some horrible creative decisions! I think it's telling if the man who almost single handedly represented Star Wars since the beginning has major issues with what you are doing, maybe you should have listened to him. He knows the character better than anyone else in the world.

I have no argument there, and certainly agree that Mark despite his dislike had to soldier on for a variety of reasons. So I might have reservations about him being fully content I also don't think it's hate per se and certainly don't feel like Mark needs to validate my opinion or my liking either pro or con.

This, very this.

As I walked out of the theater my mind was made up about the movie. It's just that seeing and hearing Mark's thoughts and feelings on it breaks my heart. I already loved him before all of this but I just feel so bad for him. I don't hate Rian Johnson, I just hate his movie.

image.jpegimage.jpeg Hhmmmm!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back