Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Almost six months removed from TLJ, I've come to realize the subtle, ahem, "genius" of the film; some people enjoyed it. and are able to be engaged enough with it to break down scenes and character motivations, etc., and see it as an integral part of the Star Wars family. And yet I, however, have come to realize that if I pretend the movie never existed, VII will still dovetail perfectly into IX. Absolutely nothing was advanced for me in terms of character development, and wherever they are/whatever the characters are doing in terms of current status - and recent history - will be taken care of in the crawl, anyway, so...yeah.

That's not easy to do - make a film so polarizing, and yet still appease both camps on opposite ends of the spectrum.

So my conundrum now, is do I watch the rest of some guy's four-part YouTube "Reimagining" of TLJ using stills from the film (I've only seen part one, and I enjoyed it), or do I honor my dismissal of everything TLJ-related? Decisions, decisions...

I could maybe, maybe accept the movie if they had shown Luke first try to get Ben back instead of kill him. Like I said before, he didn't even know Anakin, yet he put himself in danger to turn him back to the Light Side. He watched Ben grow up as his nephew, yet his first instinct is to kill, which is not how a Jedi would act. Then, after seeing Ben was set on the Dark Side, if they had shown that Luke had try to got stop him, like Obi Wan did before him, and somehow failed. Maybe a huge group of Stormtroopers showed up or something and he had to get away. If they did that, I wouldn't like it, but I could possibly accept that Luke.

Anyway I still think the entire point of these movies was to reset everything (one Jedi and student, two Dark Side, Rebels vs. Empire, etc.) so they could do a cut and paste OT reboot. If I cared one iota about the next movie, I'd guess that Rey will turn Ben back to the Light Side and at the end Anakin, Yoda, Obi Wan, and Luke Force ghosts will show up to high five them...

Almost six months removed from TLJ, I've come to realize the subtle, ahem, "genius" of the film; some people enjoyed it. and are able to be engaged enough with it to break down scenes and character motivations, etc., and see it as an integral part of the Star Wars family. And yet I, however, have come to realize that if I pretend the movie never existed, VII will still dovetail perfectly into IX. Absolutely nothing was advanced for me in terms of character development, and wherever they are/whatever the characters are doing in terms of current status - and recent history - will be taken care of in the crawl, anyway, so...yeah.

That's not easy to do - make a film so polarizing, and yet still appease both camps on opposite ends of the spectrum.

So my conundrum now, is do I watch the rest of some guy's four-part YouTube "Reimagining" of TLJ using stills from the film (I've only seen part one, and I enjoyed it), or do I honor my dismissal of everything TLJ-related? Decisions, decisions...
That’s a funny approach and I was thinking similar, can I still get into ep9 and sot of bypass ep8? Most major turning points (ahem) sort of fly with me, it’s really about how it was done. I guess it will depend on how ep9 turns out.
Regarding the conundrum...why not leave all channels open? With me the fanfic and ignoring TLJ went hand in hand sort of a consequence of each other. I just re-listened the entire story recently and I’m a bit confused sometimes as to what was in the movie and what was fanfic...like thinking, well there were bits I liked in the movie such as some of the flashbacks through the lightsabers, oh wait that was the fanfic story.
But overall I’m much more curious as to how that story will end than the official Ep9.

Last edited:

I agree that most of what happens in TLJ doesn't matter and can be ignored, but there is a glaring exception: LUKE.

TFA actually begins (in both the crawl and first scene) with the quest to find Luke. It ends on a cliffhanger as to what will happen next now that he has been found. You skip straight to Episode IX...You have no idea how that final scene in TFA was resolved and realize that no one is looking for him anymore, that Luke is dead. Even if Luke's sacrifice is mentioned in the opening crawl of IX, is that how that final TFA scene should be resolved, by skipping over Luke's actual scenes/dialog and finding out what happened to him in the crawl of IX?

It can never be a perfect dovetail when skipping TLJ means you then have a ST with NO actions/dialog by Luke. Now this IS JJ's fault. If he would have had Luke in TFA, then we could have skipped Luke's terribly-written scenes in TLJ and still have had a ST with some Luke in it.

I agree that most of what happens in TLJ doesn't matter and can be ignored, but there is a glaring exception: LUKE...

True this. I guess from a personal standpoint, going into this trilogy actually hoping that the original characters weren't going to be in it at all (fearing that there was no way it could be pulled off without alienating some fans; plus, the "been there, done that" quality), that doesn't feel like a major loss to me. However, yeah, from a redemption standpoint (for the character AND the man), I wouldn't mind seeing him written into IX doing something befitting of the Luke we grew up with. :-\

He may yet Not necessarily in the sense of actually interacting heroically, but in the sense of his heroic instincts compelling him to guide as a Force ghost.

I still cant decide if i want to buy this on bluray after seeing it in the theaters twice. Still conflicted :/

He may yet Not necessarily in the sense of actually interacting heroically, but in the sense of his heroic instincts compelling him to guide as a Force ghost.

My issue with this is, Obi Wan had a bond with Luke. He sacrificed himself for Luke. And with the PT we learn that he was actually watching over him from afar his whole life. This gives those force ghost scenes a lot of oomph.

But Luke barely met Rey. She was there all of 30 hours. He gave her two out of three lessons on why she shouldn't be a Jedi. And after attacking him, she stormed off the island like a churlish, self destructive child, never to see Luke again. She doesn't even witness his sacrifice on Crait. Call me jaded, but this is not a force ghost reunion I'm excited to see. As for Luke and Kylo, he didn't have much to say to him when he was on Crait talking to his face.

I just wish the living Luke was better utilized while we had the chance.

My issue with this is, Obi Wan had a bond with Luke. He sacrificed himself for Luke. And with the PT we learn that he was actually watching over him from afar his whole life. This gives those force ghost scenes a lot of oomph.

But Luke barely met Rey. She was there all of 30 hours. He gave her two out of three lessons on why she shouldn't be a Jedi. And after attacking him, she stormed off the island like a churlish, self destructive child, never to see Luke again. She doesn't even witness his sacrifice on Crait. Call me jaded, but this is not a force ghost reunion I'm excited to see. As for Luke and Kylo, he didn't have much to say to him when he was on Crait talking to his face.

I just wish the living Luke was better utilized while we had the chance.

Very high-SWIQ post.

Why is this still up?? For **** sake... Anyway.. this will hit you deep in your soul.. You know it to be true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynBuQoSzeEE

So RJ just had to make and tell his story the way he wanted ... regardless of what had gone before .
Honestly , his attitude and arrogance is truly astounding - probably fuelled by the knowledge that he had three more bites (poisoning the well ! ) at the apple already ! Thanks KK .

Wish Mr Hamill , wasn’t tied to toeing the line and could just walk away from any further obligations he may have to LF & Disney (?) .
However being the professional and passionate person he seems to be , he’d never ‘ stop trying ‘ !

:cheersGed

So RJ just had to make and tell his story the way he wanted ... regardless of what had gone before .

Rian viewed TLJ as his big shot. Indie director gets huge budget, biggest franchise, and he's sole writer and director... it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. He didn't want to spend six months on press junkets answering questions about the stuff JJ created. So he threw it all away so that he could make his own mark. Some love it, some hate it, but it's undeniably his creation.

This is why he should have never been let anywhere near the job of writing/directing a middle trilogy movie. It's malpractice.

Rian viewed TLJ as his big shot. Indie director gets huge budget, biggest franchise, and he's sole writer and director... it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. He didn't want to spend six months on press junkets answering questions about the stuff JJ created. So he threw it all away so that he could make his own mark. Some love it, some hate it, but it's undeniably his creation.

This is why he should have never been let anywhere near the job of writing/directing a middle trilogy movie. It's malpractice.

So ****ing true

If you're at all conflicted, then you probably shouldn't. Save your money for something else.

Agreed. Don’t waste your time or money. I haven’t seen it since the two times in the cinema. Fool me once, and all that ...

Haha!!

I had to see it a second time to make sure I had seen what I had seen ...

Never again.

I replaced my Star Wars posters in my house with Avengers ones. MUCH better decision lol

My wife agrees!

Came across this quite by accident (I've moved on, truly I have!). I know the perception has been that there was never a pre-established, outlining arc for the trilogy, but...what of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLHX9tvFASU

(Sorry, I can't get it to show a preview for the video with the "insert video" thingie)
I can't listen to the entire vid as I'm at work now, just checked the title. It's on record that JJ wanted TFA to end with Luke levitating massive rocks and floating above the ground while meditating when Rey finds him. Simon Pegg also said that JJ had brief outlines about the sequels and Daisy also said that JJ had specific ideas about Rey's lineage. Mark even said about Colin Trevorrow that they really saw eye-to-eye regarding Luke's role in Ep 9, so my assumption is that Luke's fate changed after Colin was fired. Unless they really agreed on what kinda Force-ghost he would be. :)

Thanks for posting this @Keycube .

Just listened to this first time ... twice through .
Don’t know who the commentators are , but they’re practically saying what @egosheep described in post #4493 .

If the information they’re sharing in this video turns out to be accurate ( hard to tell sometimes nowadays - at least for me ) , then I guess JJ ‘s really paddling up schit creek with EP.IX thanks to the machinations of RJ and KK ( LFL ) , and possibly Disney !:facepalm

:cheersGed

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back