Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
TLJ had some stupid things in it that can’t tie-in with the previous episodes...
worst for me was the ‘obliterate’ First Order’ Mega Weapon by use of Hyperspace...
Rebels could have used a small ship with droid pilot to do that to Death Star 1&2 and Starkiller Base...
Force Ghosts weilding lightning etc in real -world could have defeated all previous major protagonists...
At least make a movie in keeping with the existing Star Wars ethos/Universe...
MEH

But the argument now is,.....forget all the old stuff & move forward

Bit like Trump saying don't trust scientists

Star Wars is dead

Try and watch TFA now knowing what is to come....it's a bit like enjoying the first half of a book or a film,....but the ending is poor......thats the whole thing ruined,....TFA is tainted now

J

That's a great point, thanks!

If thats the case..then the whole point about Luke and Leia finding out who their real biological parents are, is a mute point, and means nothing.

Her seeing herself, reveals her own worst enemy.. herself

just a rehash of Luke with Yoda on Degobah,

In which there was alot of that, ESB ROTJ and ROTS

Last edited:
If thats the case..then the whole point about Luke and Leia finding out who their real biological parents are, is a mute point, and means nothing.

The price that was paid remaking ANH, where else could things go?

At the end when Luke appears being younger defiantly threw me off. Not really sure why they made him younger. At first, I had thought that since they had already had the flashback of him about to kill Ben, that then maybe that was another flashback of Luke saying goodbye to Leia and leaving to his exile. But then I was like, no, this is now happening. But when he pulled out the original saber that had just been destroyed, I knew something was up.

I think we the audience is seeing Luke the way Kylo Ren and the Resistance is. This is the Legend of Skywalker they expect o see.

I did like that they had Yoda in it, but he seemed odd about something, can't quite put my finger on it. Also, force ghost usually have a more transparentness to them and a brighter glow. Yoda had a slight glow around him, but not enough.

Totally agree. Lacked visual continuity between films. I'd like to think they will fix this for video release.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This makes zero sense in the context of the discussion quoted. What does that have to do with Rey in the there asking a specific question and what she saw?

- - - Updated - - -

All these posters acting like this or that "destroys" or "invalidates" movies of the past - are you the same people that say there can't be jedi or force users in the universe due to one line in ANH? Why not think about how these things actually fit into Star Wars or what it says about Star Wars vice being so angry that your pet Rey and Snoke theory was really wrong, etc.

I know its hard being ill with Star Wars sometimes Jaitea

As ever after a new SW film is out, I wish we could go back to just disowning Jedi because of the ewoks.
I was 13 then and felt like Star Wars was dead after such an amazing film as Empire.
I saw it about five times, once on its own and then maybe four as part of the Sunday afternoon triple bils soon after.
That was really so I could watch Star Wars and Empire on the big screen after years of only seeing it on home video.

If I had given up afterJedi I wouldn't have had a lifetime of amazing mates, girlfriends, comics, props, models, books and even the toys....To my lot it stayed cool albeit strewn with cheese, all through the special editions, the prequels, the cartoons even. We survived fine and laughed when it was ****.

Like I said in my first reaction in this thread.... It truly felt like Star Wars died today. Long live Star Wars.
We have had worse and we are still here.

Every now and then it will throw up something that you love, like Rogue One. (Did I mention that I love Rogue One) and that's enough :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno. The Star Wars universe has a history of making flying complex fighters and speeders about as common a skill as driving a car here in the real world. So this didn't bug me.
It's just that they made a special point in TFA that he'd never flown anything before. It was a major part of the plot

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I know its hard being ill with Star Wars sometimes @Jaitea

As ever after a new SW film is out, I wish we could go back to just disowning Jedi because of the ewoks.
I was 13 then and felt like Star Wars was dead after such an amazing film as Empire.
I saw it about five times, once on its own and then maybe four as part of the Sunday afternoon triple bils soon after.
That was really so I could watch Star Wars and Empire on the big screen after years of only seeing it on home video.

If I had given up afterJedi I wouldn't have had a lifetime of amazing mates, girlfriends, comics, props, models, books and even the toys....To my lot it stayed cool albeit strewn with cheese, all through the special editions, the prequels, the cartoons even. We survived fine and laughed when it was ****.

Like I said in my first reaction in this thread.... It truly felt like Star Wars died today. Long live Star Wars.
We have had worse and we are still here.

Every now and then it will throw up something that you love, like Rogue One. (Did I mention that I love Rogue One) and that's enough :)

And 99.99999% of us will buy the disc, maybe a couple of collectibles and be right back in theaters for Ep 9.. :D

It's just that they made a special point in TFA that he'd never flown anything before. It was a major part of the plot

IMO this is the difference between driving a car and a plane. I bet plenty of people in SW drive different speeders but can't pilot a star ship.

EDIT: Oh now that I think about he DID drive a FO speeder in TFA when they were on Starkiller Base.

Ok, I haven't read any "professional" reviews, just the comments here on the RPF, and I take Rotten Tomatoes with a huge grain of salt. People need to realize that, as I understand it, Rotten Tomatoes percentage score is not an average of review ratings, it is simply an average of reviewers saying whether the movie worth seeing or not. The actual review can be different than what the reviewer submits as essentially a "yea or nay" vote. So the written review may sound bad but if the reviewer thinks the movie is still worth seeing, they could still give it a "fresh" rating. People can have problems with a movie and still think it's worth seeing.

So if you look at the review rating and think "93%, that means every reviewer thinks this movie is an 'A'!" then you are misunderstanding the rating system. I think it's a flawed system mainly because of that reason, because most people see a high percent and equate it incorrectly, which is a natural tendency.
Also, is it so hard to think that many people who are professional movie reviewers would have different criteria for judging a film than the average movie goer, much less someone that is a self-described "fan?" Some people are going to find different reasons to like or dislike a movie.

With all that said, there are some things that I think were presented in TLJ that make it a better movie than a lot of people are giving it credit for, because they can't see the subtext and are too bogged down with what they think the movie should have been, instead of what it is. I'll start with one complaint that I keep seeing brought up here:

Complaints of the Finn/Rose storyline not being necessary because they failed
- In terms of the overall story, it is actually an important plot. It was a device to show the how pointless taking sides in wars can be, because there are people that have no morals and only seek to gain profit and status from the suffering of others. If you don't see a clear correlation to today's societal and political climate, then you aren't understanding why this was important to include in the film. The elite making money off both sides of a conflict, and considering children that were born to a lower class as "less than" and using them as slaves for their amusement is all too common in our own world. If Finn and Rose hadn't ventured there, this whole message would have been lost.

Add to that, the DJ character and his moral ambiguity, showing that there are people that can appear to be helping your interests in one moment only to betray you in another. He could serve to represent any number of real-world types: politicians or bosses, who give you a little of what you want but will turn their back on you when it serves them. The idea is that the Empire or the New Order may be terrible, oppressive evil governments, but there are people that are just as bad, or worse, that don't ally themselves with a specific cause, only their own. These people are still complicit in evil taking over. It also brings up the issue that complacency and not standing up to oppression because it doesn't adversely affect you are what caused regimes like the Nazi Party to take power.

And the fact that Finn and Rose failed was actually advancing Poe's plot in that it showed that his plan wasn't necessarily the greatest. It went against movie tropes (especially those used in Star Wars movies) of having a few people taking down a much larger group. It shows that, realistically, that doesn't always work, and that there are often many paths to success. Maybe it's not "Star Wars" enough to have them fail, but to say it was completely unnecessary to the plot of the movie just shows you may not be seeing it for what it really is.

Last edited:
Apologies if this has been discussed already but can someone explain to me why TLJ copied ESB and ROTJ so much?

I took my daughter (10 yrs old) to see the film she loved it had a great time didn't care about the ESB/ ROTJ reboots but she still noticed them.

TLJ is a really nicely made film (with some exceptions) but I don't understand the process by which the director and the producers go "Lets copy these scenes from these movies that's a good idea!" To me it's distracting, it pulls me out of the film and it's like they've run out of ideas or something which can't be true.

ok thanks :)

Apologies if this has been discussed already but can someone explain to me why TLJ copied ESB and ROTJ so much?

I took my daughter (10 yrs old) to see the film she loved it had a great time didn't care about the ESB/ ROTJ reboots but she still noticed them.

TLJ is a really nicely made film (with some exceptions) but I don't understand the process by which the director and the producers go "Lets copy these scenes from these movies that's a good idea!" To me it's distracting, it pulls me out of the film and it's like they've run out of ideas or something which can't be true.

I truly believe this film (new trilogy) is targeted to the 10-20 year olds whose parents either, never watch (or is not a fan of) SW.

Is a great 2 episodes, if youve never been introduced or grew up with parents or older generation with SW, VHS or disc on the movie shelf.

Not saying that the older fans will not like it... just saying who I believe it is targeted to

I don't think it is copying them as much as being inspired by things we feel familiar with. Heck, Lucas himself did the same thing with OT/PT and was proud of it and called it cycles or something.

Finn was having a bit of hard time figuring it out at first. Rose had to show him a few things before he was flying it a bit better.

I truly believe this film (new trilogy) is targeted to the 10-20 year olds whose parents either, never watch (or is not a fan of) SW.

Is a great 2 episodes, if youve never been introduced or grew up with parents or older generation with SW, VHS or disc on the movie shelf.

Not saying that the older fans will not like it... just saying who I believe it is targeted to

Yeah I'm inclined to agree with you DarthLee I found myself thinking that too. I'm OT generation I'm loaded with preconceptions about how SW "should be"

I don't think it is copying them as much as being inspired by things we feel familiar with. Heck, Lucas himself did the same thing with OT/PT and was proud of it and called it cycles or something.

If it's a cycle's thing then I reckon they could have done it better than lets put everyone in a trench with some speeders and a line of walkers or lets show the jedi their fleet being blown up etc etc.

If it's an inspiration thing I guess my idea of being inspired by something vs ripping it off and their idea of that is a bit different :)

No my friend. I have to say.. .. replace characters, some scenes were pretty much a copy.

Kilo leading storm troopers..
Kilo/Rey wanting her to join him..
Throne room with Snoke..

Even the not wanting to train Rey.. just like Yoda with Luke

I think it was alittle more than being inspired.

Even to the "theres always a bigger fish" spear scene

There is a lot of discussion already online about the current state of movie making, not just Star Wars, where sequels are actually soft reboots and they really are just remake of prior films. Look at Jurassic World which is really just Jurassic Park remake and the current sequel appears to be a remake of The Lost World. Nothing new as everyone is just out of fresh ideas.

Maybe because Rian already used the ending of ROTJ in this movie then episode 9 will have to be original or will they start just remaking the PT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back