Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
I just finished the last one last week very nicely done. A blistering tirade from someone who obviously cares a great deal about all things SW. I've already droned on about how I feel about these films. Last week I found myself thinking about what post-Disney SW is going look like. anyone else?

I'm at the stage now where I'm hoping they don't drag out any of the OT or PT characters into these new films. I don't really want to see anymore of these characters killed off or worn out and depressed...horribly uninspiring

I want to hear from TLJ lovers why this film is great... We all know the effects are great, Please try to convey why the written script is great. Taking all the characters into context.
For one, I think it helped developing Kylo's character. We discovered how he became the torn apart character he is now. Sure the whole admiral holdo, fin, and rose part was nothing but stupid.

For one, I think it helped developing Kylo's character. We discovered how he became the torn apart character he is now.

We still don't know how Kylo was manipulated and why he wants to turn. We know why Vader turned, to save his wife. What does Kylo want? Is it just power? Adam Driver is a good actor but he's not a good villain, and I don't consider Kylo well written or especially compelling. Rian seemed to be obsessed with showing Kylo in a balanced light, but it's very short sighted and to the detriment of other characters. It's unbelievable that Rey would side with Kylo over Luke, and give Kylo a pass for murdering Han, maiming Finn, and standing by as billions were massacred.

Try and talk about objectively bad issues in this movie and prepare to jaw drop as people accept...nay, Defend...nay, LOVE the stupid. No matter how well you 'splain it, they blindly accepted something stupid, unphased, in fact, sometimes loving it.

Last thing they want to do it acknowledge that they loved something so broken.

Of course, you can like a flawed character...I would hate a Captain Amazing movie unless it was intentionally super campy. Flaws are to be expected in just about any story, but TLJ is like watching a dog vomit. Y'know, and everyone who understands it starts shouting, "no no no!" as the dog eats it up again, only to vomit AGAIN!

The point behind a major franchise is people expect entertainment, quality, and some consistency. While TLJ was visually pretty, good sound, the story and characters were vomit. Not just a let down, but a slap in the face to true fans. Read through this thread, you will see folks defending what should be considered indefensible...wayyyy too distracting to make a good film.

And you'll notice that most of the people who try to defend the stupid are people who weren't alive back when the OT came out. They are people for whom bad writing is the norm, therefore they see nothing wrong with it. I was hanging out with one of my best friends today and he pointed out that TLJ was cut like a series of YouTube videos. It's made for the short attention span theater crowd. It's made for people who care more about flashy CGI than an engaging story. So maybe that's why some people like it, because that's what they grew up thinking was normal, what they think constitutes a good movie.

And I pity those people.

For one, I think it helped developing Kylo's character. We discovered how he became the torn apart character he is now. Sure the whole admiral holdo, fin, and rose part was nothing but stupid.

Good, at least some constructive discussion has begun. As was detailed before me. No we didn't get anything about Kylo's turn or why. Nothing new was revealed about his character. Other than evil uncle Luke at some point wanted to kill him in his sleep. Again a famous character destroyed by bad storytelling.

This is my point. Why are there so many whys to this film when it's totally unnecessary?

It's bad, lazy writing from start to finish. From Poe switching off Leia's orders to Luke sucomming to the force by projecting himself.

What went wrong with the “look” of the TLJ Yoda??

In the behind the scenes footage, they said that they used the original Yoda molds but “cleaned” them up.

There was something “off” about their Yoda...he looked “puffy” in the cheek areas and his eyes looked strange.

The best way to describe it is they had a “Botox Yoda” who looked like a “Real Housewife” after a few too many trips to the cosmetic surgeon.

Anyone else see the same?

My family moved a couple thousand miles 2 years ago and this week we had my wife's cousin and family visit for the first time since we left. My "cousin-in-law" Jayme is a good friend that I have deep conversation with on any topic but especially Star Wars. He LOVED TLJ, I... didn't so we've had some interesting conversation over that last few days. We're both in our late 40s and have been fans since 77. Even though we disagreed about a lot of aspects of the film we were smiling and laughing the entire time. Neither of us called into question the others intellect, knowledge or "fandom" of SW. Through our discussions I realized most of my critiques are subjective, their still my opinions and valid criticism but not measurable against any defined standard.

Shortly after I moved Jayme was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer, he has a daughter that turned 5 on May 4th and he has been fighting hard to have as much time as he can with her and his wife. His ultimate take on the ST is..."it's just a movie man, don't waste too much time on something so small, just enjoy the parts you like and ignore the rest."
It really put things in perspective for me. He'll very well might never see another Star Wars movie and he doesn't care because his perspective has shifted. For him it's spaceships, lightsabers and his kid smiling and playing SW with him. It doesn't NEED to be anything more.
Nobody has to "defend" a movie or their enjoyment of it. If you don't like it you don't have to "attack" it either. Opinions on art don't need to be justified, nor do they telegraph a person's intellect, age or political views.

We still don't know how Kylo was manipulated and why he wants to turn. We know why Vader turned, to save his wife. What does Kylo want? Is it just power? Adam Driver is a good actor but he's not a good villain, and I don't consider Kylo well written or especially compelling. Rian seemed to be obsessed with showing Kylo in a balanced light, but it's very short sighted and to the detriment of other characters. It's unbelievable that Rey would side with Kylo over Luke, and give Kylo a pass for murdering Han, maiming Finn, and standing by as billions were massacred.

It took you about 25 years of watching movies to find out why Vader turned. Kylo Ren was introduced to you less than five tears ago, but you feel you should know everything about his history already. The first lesson a Jedi learns is patience.

It took you about 25 years of watching movies to find out why Vader turned. Kylo Ren was introduced to you less than five tears ago, but you feel you should know everything about his history already. The first lesson a Jedi learns is patience.

That is true, BUT the quote you are responding to was a response to another poster stating that TLJ was a good movie because it explained how Kylo became so “torn”, which clearly it really didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It took you about 25 years of watching movies to find out why Vader turned. Kylo Ren was introduced to you less than five tears ago, but you feel you should know everything about his history already.

Kylo Ren is no Darth Vader. I don't know about you guys, but I don't have 20 years to wait for him to become compelling. Hire some actual good writers, maybe you can get good character development in as little as 3 movies.

The first lesson a Jedi learns is patience.
Uh huh. Meanwhile Rey can't even spend two whole days with "Master" Luke before hitting him in the back, drawing a saber on him and abandoning him to run off to put Kylo on the FO throne.

A recent thought that I had that I don't know if anyone already discussed....

Near the end of TFA, a concerned Snoke tells Hux to bring Kylo Ren to him and that it is time to complete his training.

In TLJ, timeline being mere moments later, Snoke completely discards Kylo upon his arrival.

Kylo's biggest test in his training was to see if he had it in him enough to kill his own father. Kylo proved that he was able to carry this out, and because of that, my understanding (the way Snoke appears in his concern for Kylo's well being after a defeating blow from Rey), was that Snoke felt he was ready to complete his final training, not be ridiculed and thrown away after arriving to the dreadnaught.

So what was with that?

Near the end of TFA, a concerned Snoke tells Hux to bring Kylo Ren to him and that it is time to complete his training.

In TLJ, timeline being mere moments later, Snoke completely discards Kylo upon his arrival.

Kylo's biggest test in his training was to see if he had it in him enough to kill his own father. Kylo proved that he was able to carry this out, and because of that, my understanding (the way Snoke appears in his concern for Kylo's well being after a defeating blow from Rey), was that Snoke felt he was ready to complete his final training, not be ridiculed and thrown away after arriving to the dreadnaught.

So what was with that?

It was mentioned before, but not really picked up. I certainly mentioned it as one of the threads in TFA that was just completely disregarded.
I actually was looking forward to that because in the OT the Jedi training was much more mental and spiritual. In the OT it was a bunch of kids standing in a room with mini-lightsabers. Luke's biggest test as a Jedi was to face his biggest fear, Vader and resist temptation to become him. Same with Kylo as you mentioned. So I was thinking since TFA went back to the old-school approach it would be something interesting to see from character development point-of-view.

So what was with that?

That was Ryan Johnson subverting your expectations. See, you thought he would make a left turn, but he took a right one instead. That dude is unpredictable.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back