Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
I don't know why Poe's "I'll hold" bit is such a problem for some folks. He had to stall them and it was perfectly in character, and it reminded me of another improvised call.

https://youtu.be/4FSV8w1UoZA

First off, that scene was NOT at the BEGINNING of the movie, and secondly.. it lasted SECONDS... no SW movie ever opened with a ridiculous gag joke!!

Yeah.. I screamed those 3 words.... Im over it now.. thanks

I don't know why Poe's "I'll hold" bit is such a problem for some folks. He had to stall them and it was perfectly in character, and it reminded me of another improvised call.

It didn't work because it was clearly written by the person who handles all the rocket dialogue from gaurdians of the Galaxy.

That's the thing with the jokes in this film. They weren't written with the character, or even the film in mind.

It was a lot of *insert joke here* moments.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Since I've tried to explain it twice now.... I'll try to be more clear.

My entire point is that complaining about Luke suddenly being able to move objects with apparently no training (that we saw, or which we were told he received) is LITERALLY exactly the same level of nonsense as complaining about Rey's abilities.

He moved objects with a Jedi Master on his back!!... That is training! And read below how and why I think he was able to remove his saber from the snow..

So how did he investigate it? Nothing in the crawl nor the films suggest that Obi Wan had continued contact with Luke. Did he just.... oh, I dunno... MANIFEST some new abilities after realizing he could do things? You know, like Rey? Whether it took him a minute, or a day, or a year doesn't really seem to matter if he did it with no outside guidance.

Rey was seen to use abilities only AFTER she saw they were possible.

Do you honestly believe that Obi-wan just disconnected himself from Luke, after the trench run?

And I dont think Luke was in complete shocked to see OWK on Hoth.. I took it as more, "im in trouble, where have you Ben?"....

Again, you're willing to rationalize a gap in the narrative to fit your love of the original films, but not willing to do so for the new ones.

I literally said that we don't know how long it took her to find Luke's island. I said not one damn thing about how long she spent on the Resistance base. Stop inventing an argument.

Right, because a droid being held upside down while hot plates are stamped on its feet is sooooo serious and not played for laughs at all....

The gap is much thinner with Rey

And the droid was to show what Jabba did with droids who are disobedient.

This could have been a good film.

But if someone thought about the plot for more than a second they could have fixed the problems

Ive been thinking. Regardless whether she passed away in real life or not. Why keep her alive and kill off Han and Luke? I always thought she would be the first to go, and have emotional scene with Han and Luke ( a motivation maybe Han taking her place or something like that), maybe not on the same set but different.

Since I've tried to explain it twice now.... I'll try to be more clear.

I. Am. Not. Complaining. About. Luke. Demonstrating. A. Force. Ability. We. Have. Never. Seen. Before.

My entire point is that complaining about Luke suddenly being able to move objects with apparently no training (that we saw, or which we were told he received) is LITERALLY exactly the same level of nonsense as complaining about Rey's abilities.

In other words, you can't complain about one and leave the other. If you're fine with one, it only makes sense to be fine with the other. I'm fine with Luke just having new abilities, just like I'm fine with Rey having them.

Pointing out the stuff in Jedi was to illustrate a point.

I dunno... Rey looked pretty damn visibly distressed when Kylo was basically mind-raping her and she was shown breaking out into a sweat struggling to resist him.

So how did he investigate it? Nothing in the crawl nor the films suggest that Obi Wan had continued contact with Luke. Did he just.... oh, I dunno... MANIFEST some new abilities after realizing he could do things? You know, like Rey? Whether it took him a minute, or a day, or a year doesn't really seem to matter if he did it with no outside guidance.

Rey was seen to use abilities only AFTER she saw they were possible.

Again, you're willing to rationalize a gap in the narrative to fit your love of the original films, but not willing to do so for the new ones.

I literally said that we don't know how long it took her to find Luke's island. I said not one damn thing about how long she spent on the Resistance base. Stop inventing an argument.

Right, because a droid being held upside down while hot plates are stamped on its feet is sooooo serious and not played for laughs at all....

Except there is a 3 year period in which Luke had to investigate the force in whatever way. It's not sudden. Rey does it all instantly.

You mean the "mind-rape" in which Kylo not only fails to get the map from her, but she is able to go into his mind and find his feelings of inadequacy concerning Vader. Which makes him retreat in stunned disbelief. He even runs to tell Snoke about it. If anything she dominates him in that encounter. Her first use of the force, against a trained force-user.

I'll just turn your argument around on you. There is nothing to indicate that OWK stopped guiding Luke after the trench-run. Since he is in fact there during the trench-run, and after the trench-run in ESB. It is more logical to assume he was there in-between as well. You're the one who has to find a good reason OWK would just drop off the map and leave Luke high and dry with mysterious new abilities for 3 years.

When did Rey see the mind-trick to know that was possible? She doesn't. She just spontaneously does it.

You said there was nothing to suggest OWK stuck around and trained Luke. Luke's newfound ability suggest he was taught that by OWK. There is no gap in the new movies that is so ambiguous that there could be some long gap of time between them.

Also, since you are back on the gap of time between TFA and TLJ this is the third chance you've had to address Kylo's face wound or Rey and Poe not running into each other, so you are now 3 times a hypocrite by your own standard. Kylo's face wound is entirely based on on-screen evidence and needs no guessing. It's a shallow slice that has not yet healed enough to take the bandage off. You are intentionally ignoring rational and reasonable on-screen evidence that it was a very short time just so you can keep claiming "We don't know" to justify Rey's abilities.

You mean branding property like they used to do with slaves? How is that funny? How about we talk about Luke drinking blue-milk from a walrus-ape's teat?

Ive been thinking. Regardless whether she passed away in real life or not. Why keep her alive and kill off Han and Luke? I always thought she would be the first to go, and have emotional scene with Han and Luke ( a motivation maybe Han taking her place or something like that), maybe not on the same set but different.
Personally, I would have preferred her to stay.

There are so many ways to redo this series in broad strokes.

At this point, I would do the next film with a five year time jump where she's dead in the opening crawl.

But then I would bring her back as a cgi force ghost for some deus ex Leia in the final act.

Personally, I would have preferred her to stay.

There are so many ways to redo this series in broad strokes.

At this point, I would do the next film with a five year time jump where she's dead in the opening crawl.

But then I would bring her back as a cgi force ghost for some deus ex Leia in the final act.

I got fussed at when I brought up Leia CGI

I got fussed at when I brought up Leia CGI
Cgi Leia would be bad.

Cgi force ghost Leia would be good.

I'm not sure if cgi dead actors are perfected. But I think as ghosts, people would accept it.

In all honesty, I think they really wasted a moment by using puppet Yoda, rather than cgi Kenobi.

Cgi Leia would be bad.

Cgi force ghost Leia would be good.

I'm not sure if cgi dead actors are perfected. But I think as ghosts, people would accept it.

In all honesty, I think they really wasted a moment by using puppet Yoda, rather than cgi Kenobi.

I never understood why puppet. They made so many advances in the PT to develop a pretty good CGI Yoda, why revert back to a puppet. That, honestly, did not look that good

I never understood why puppet. They made so many advances in the PT to develop a pretty good CGI Yoda, why revert back to a puppet. That, honestly, did not look that good
It looked terrible.

The fact that they replaced the puppet in the phantom menace should have told them something

To me, theres a difference in comedy there. The your mom joke is more of a slapstick type where the
"were all fine here, how are you" type of comedy is more incidental. I feel the incidental comedy is more smarter and funnier.

Can someone explain the "tree", Im still lost, is it a Jedi tree or a Sith tree or just Force tree or what? Cause Ive seen that tree in KOTOR. I know the Uneti tree, was grown by Jedi, but what was the threat? Its just a force sensitive tree. Like the trees around Yoda on Dagobah. So why destroy it?

Can someone explain the "tree", Im still lost, is it a Jedi tree or a Sith tree or just Force tree or what? Cause Ive seen that tree in KOTOR. I know the Uneti tree, was grown by Jedi, but what was the threat? Its just a force sensitive tree. Like the trees around Yoda on Dagobah. So why destroy it?
I believe that there was some sacred tree in the Jedi temple. They touched on it in recent comics.

I believe that this was connected to that tree.

Leave it to Disney to think the force grows on trees

I believe that there was some sacred tree in the Jedi temple. They touched on it in recent comics.

I believe that this was connected to that tree.

Leave it to Disney to think the force grows on trees

The "Force tree" concept existed before Disney even acquired the rights in 2012. Also, the significance of the tree on Ahch-To is that due to the first Jedi Temple being located on the island, and the uneti saplings that Luke tracked leading to the island that housed the tree and the Temple, it is assumed that the tree may have been the first Jedi-grown Force tree or even the first Force tree in general.

For all that don't understand how Rey could do ANYTHING with the Force, ie Jedi mind tricks, moving objects, etc, she clearly has heard the myths of Luke Skywalker. She KNEW what she'd heard that he was capable of, so she simply tried it, & the Force enabled her to do it.

I mean, people in all walks of life, be it in sports, mathematics, science, music, driving, anything, can show a natural aptitude for the skills required. Some people work or train for years at those skills with no advancement. Those are REAL WORLD examples, so to not understand how Rey could do anything without years of training is pretty much willful ignorance.

I'm glad the Franchise has been "rebooted" so to speak. It's obviously geared towards a whole new generation that doesn't include me and I'm ok with that. I'm 53 years old. I was 13 when ANH was released. It changed my life but now I am able to let it go. Luke, Han and Leia are gone. I have no emotional attachment to any of the new characters and don't care what happens to them or the new rebellion. The struggle has become redundant. In fact, their whole Galaxy is pretty rotten and I don't blame Luke for chilling in seclusion.

For all that don't understand how Rey could do ANYTHING with the Force, ie Jedi mind tricks, moving objects, etc, she clearly has heard the myths of Luke Skywalker. She KNEW what she'd heard that he was capable of, so she simply tried it, & the Force enabled her to do it.

I mean, people in all walks of life, be it in sports, mathematics, science, music, driving, anything, can show a natural aptitude for the skills required. Some people work or train for years at those skills with no advancement. Those are REAL WORLD examples, so to not understand how Rey could do anything without years of training is pretty much willful ignorance.

REAL WORLD children on Earth pretend to have force powers after watching Star Wars, aka the Legend of the Skywalker family. In fact, one could easily argue that is exactly what Broom-Kid did. So now you have to explain how Rey never bothered to play around and see if she had the force while growing up. Because if she had, it would have worked and TFA would have been a wildly different movie.

Furthermore, according to you because she has natural aptitude she can perform any force feat just because she heard a story about it? That's like someone being athletic and suddenly they can throw a football accurately dozens of yards because they heard of Joe Montana, or they can hit homers like no one else because they heard of Babe Ruth. That is not REAL WORLD, that notion is as fictional as Star Wars itself. And that would actually make Rey even more of a Mary-Sue if she could just use any old force ability because she heard about it.

Because they are in Prequel shock. "CGI is the devil and nothing beats practical effects", this is the mantra that the internet has been preaching since the prequels and probably before. Had this movie been perfectly what everyone wanted, Hero Luke, no humor, reverence for the holy graflex, no Porgs, Rey is a Skywalker/Kenobi/Palpatine all at the same time, Snoke turns out to be the ice cream man from Cloud City. Imagine this was the most perfect Episode 8 you could possibly get. Yes, someone would have come into this thread to say "the movie was pretty good but it had too much CGI".

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back