Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
I feel like The Force Awakens was the set up of all these "wonderful new mysteries" with the promise of "answers to come" (i.e. "Lost"), but this chapter didn't really deliver for me. While I relatively enjoyed The Force Awakens (which at the time felt more like a pilot for a tv series as opposed to a stand-alone film), I accepted it for its flaws because it *felt* like / implied that there was this promise of those answers...

One thing that does bug me: Padme's death: dumb. Kirk's death in Generations: dumb. Solo's death: eh, okay. Luke's: same. These characters are cinematic icons - not that they all need grand heroic deaths, but still, something, I don't know, different then what we got... At least for me, your mileage may vary...

JJ’s “mystery box” approach in TFA was completely ignored or forgotten by Rian in this film to the point that Snoke’s background did not matter or Rian did not care about it and Rey’s parents were a complete afterthought or was meant to be a theme that she was a nobody who could wield the force and become a somebody.

The “mystery box” fails again because of JJ’s hype with the box and another director, Rian, could care less about JJ’s mystery box.

Hard to believe JJ would agree with these two resolutions after setting up the mystery in TFA. WTF! Did these two every talk or consult each other? LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After TPM, Lucas got smart to the fact that cgi Yoda is the way to go
There is a behind-the-scenes video about the CGI Yoda. ILM had one but it wasn't good enough for TPM. They used it only for the scene where he is talking with Obi-Wan in a scene at the end of TPM.

JJ’s “mystery box” approach in TFA was completely ignored or forgotten by Rian in this film to the point that Snoke’s background did not matter or Rian did not care about it and Rey’s parents were a complete afterthought or was meant to be a theme that she was a nobody who could wield the force and become a somebody.

The “mystery box” fails again because of JJ’s hype with the box and another director, Rian, could care less about JJ’s mystery box.

Hard to believe JJ would agree with these two resolutions after setting up the mystery in TFA. WTF! Did these two every talk or consult each other? LOL!

Right? Things that may have sounded cool or clever when pitched conceptually:

"Let's have Luke casually toss his lightsaber aside"

"Hahaha, the audience isn't expecting that, let's do it!"

"I have an idea - let's take a strormtrooper, but her armor is all chrome!"

"What does she do?"

"She's like, all special and mysterious - like the new Boba Fett!"

"Cool, let's do it!"

DRExtwAUQAA0lwJ.jpg

There is a behind-the-scenes video about the CGI Yoda. ILM had one but it wasn't good enough for TPM. They used it only for the scene where he is talking with Obi-Wan in a scene at the end of TPM.

In 2017 with the technology, and everything in visually stunning 4k UHD CGI or live, I personally think there should be no more puppets. Not in a film like this.

How come a wet doh eyed look from a Porg stopped chewie from eating it, but didn't stop him catching one, killing it, skinning it and roasting it?

It would have been funnier if he'd booted the thing aside and chowed down like a dog chewing a toffee.

You know what I really liked?

When Luke arrived on Krayt, he drew Anakin's lightsaber. I was like, "wait a second, they messed up. it should be the TOTJ lightsaber.

And I also didn't clue in when we saw Kylo make a red track with his foot, yet Luke didn't.

That was actually a twist done correctly.

You know what I really liked?

When Luke arrived on Krayt, he drew Anakin's lightsaber. I was like, "wait a second, they messed up. it should be the TOTJ lightsaber.

And I also didn't clue in when we saw Kylo make a red track with his foot, yet Luke didn't.

That was actually a twist done correctly.

Yes their attention to detail was outstanding :rolleyes

J

I posted my non-spoiler review in the other thread. Overall, I liked the movie - the last act is a huge part of the movie and a bit of a redemption for bits that might've gone a little awry. But, I feel a good chunk of this is also about the the journey that Kylo Ren goes through and the redemption of Luke Skywalker.

Adam Driver won't get the credit he deserves for this movie. The guy put on a clinic and just showed us some great acting in this movie. The tension Driver created as Kylo Ben really pushed this movie and he helped me enjoy this movie that much more.

I was free of the big spoilers in this one - the killing of Snoke took me completely off guard and grinning from ear to ear.

I expected Dern's Holdo to be more of a creepy Hux type. That little storyline with Poe was took some unexpected steps that helped me with what could've been some generic hero stuff from our new flyboy. However, Poe's playing with Hux at the beginning of the movie seemed out place - in fact, the entire let the good guys talk to the bad guys while at war seemed entirely out of place and a little too Star Trek-ish. But, Holdo went out in style and it was spectacular.

There was a bit too much "modern" feeling humor for me. It felt out of place. But, this is a new generation of Star Wars films and filmmakers - I laughed even though I didn't totally accept it. These are still kids movies and this is the new norm whether I like it or not.

Yoda was also unexpected. He was a little too much like impish, pre-reveal ESB Yoda - I wouldn't have minded something a tad more serious.

Finn and Rose. Sigh - that whole plotline was just so poorly done. Taking off from the Rebel cruiser during the chase - zipping off. This whole plotline needed to be completely overhauled - sure the braintrust at LFL is capable of better than this.

Leia's Superman act. Maybe they should have done it here, it was the perfect opportunity to kill Leia here... at the very least we would've avoided the embarrassing, out of place bit we got with Leia flying through outer space.

Luke's force "ghost." Once we saw Luke on Crait, I had that feeling he was going to die. But, then it became a clearer that this wasn't Luke - the hair and beard were neater and had more color. Still, I loved it - even if it reeked too much of something from the old Star Wars EU or even fan fic. I'll be a little disappointed we never really got to see Luke school Ben, but that will be Rey's job in two years.

With Carrie's death, I think they missed a grand opportunity. Kill Leia off and keep Luke around to help rebuild. But, then I'm not sure if the title of the movie would've held true and we would have missed a wonderful performance and storyline that Carrie managed to do so well. I'm glad I didn't have to make that decision, in the end - outside of Leia in space - Rian and crew probably did the right thing.... but, man - it could've been different and and it could have been awesome.

All the crazy rumors that didn't happen - no Knights of Ren. Rey not a Kenobi or a Palpatine or a Skywalker (the first two ideas were stupid anyway). Your Snoke theory sucks... I'm glad they didn't pander to the audience by paying much heed to that kinda stuff.

For me, the bad outweighed the good. I had a love/hate thing with TFA, and TFA is much more straightforward, much tighter and more cohesive... but, TLJ has a better overall storyline without being as weighed down by paying too much homage.

Despite many missteps, I give TLJ a solid B+, there's enough great stuff that overpowers the mediocrity.

Luke Skywalker is dead. He hero for the last 40 years. Long live Luke Skywalker

Yes their attention to detail was outstanding :rolleyes

J

I think the thing I liked about it was that there were a couple of things that were "off" but they didn't give you enough hints to figure out what was going on.

That being said, there are so many flaws with Luke's "projection" that it was once again, pissing on the rules of the universe

- - - Updated - - -

One other complaint I have....It was really nice to see the film dedicated to Carrie Fisher...but what about Kenny Baker?

just got back from seeing it for the 3rd time in as many days. Really loving Mark Hamill and Adam Driver's performances. I can genuinely say that I love this movie. After the first time I saw this movie I was a bit confused. Now I understand why. This isn't the Star Wars I grew up with. I rewatched the OT last night before seeing TLJ and now I'm glad. You can't make those sorts of movies today. For better or worse, thats just the way it is. I like that Star Wars has grown with the times. Anyway, thats my take. Continue on with the hatefest. Just waiting for someone to post how Disney has destroyed their childhood. I bet GL is laughing his ass off right now.

just got back from seeing it for the 3rd time in as many days. Really loving Mark Hamill and Adam Driver's performances. I can genuinely say that I love this movie. After the first time I saw this movie I was a bit confused. Now I understand why. This isn't the Star Wars I grew up with. I rewatched the OT last night before seeing TLJ and now I'm glad. You can't make those sorts of movies today. For better or worse, thats just the way it is. I like that Star Wars has grown with the times. Anyway, thats my take. Continue on with the hatefest. Just waiting for someone to post how Disney has destroyed their childhood. I bet GL is laughing his ass off right now.

A good creative team could prove that to be false.

My friend said the same thing when I complained about the humour. He said that the original ones don't date well and the dialogue needs to be modernized.

Which is total BS. There are lots of films with different types of humour and dialogue. And they don't all sound like rocket from GOTG

A good creative team could prove that to be false.

Maybe. Until one actually comes along, though, it seems like theres no way to really know.

My friend said the same thing when I complained about the humour. He said that the original ones don't date well and the dialogue needs to be modernized.

Which is total BS. There are lots of films with different types of humour and dialogue. And they don't all sound like rocket from GOTG

Again, maybe there are, maybe there arent. Do those films make $200 million on their opening weekend, though? Because thats what these films are made to do. Its not the only reason, but its the main one. Like it or not, thats the truth. Whether dyed in the wool Star Wars fans enjoy them or not is much lower down on the list. Thats a fact many people in this thread need to come to terms with.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back