Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
That's a great observation - I just borrowed the term I saw others use to note the scene - but the problem for me was more that other than a general sensitivity to life-forces, Leia was never shown as a force-user; and unfortunately in this trilogy we've gotten no sense of where Leia progressed (if at all) with force-training. So it came as unexpected and a less believable.

I don’t disagree. And I’ve never held much stock in any of the speculation that Luke must’ve trained her a bit in the past. I think this was just the case of a Force user tapping into the Force subconsciously, in an act of desperation in a life or death situation as an act of self-preservation. Much like Rey did in TFA and perhaps others did in the prior films but of which I am forgetting. Do I think Leia could do it under ordinary circumstances? Probably not. But as an almost autonomic response in a time of extreme jeopardy and stress? Apparently so.

M

I have to agree.. BUT.. it was not the actual "sit down and watch" movie that people fell in love with.. It was the story.. and the fact that a world/ universe beyond ours, could be created and we wanted to live there..

Agreed, The OT has an enduring soul with a legacy and power because of its wonderful stories and incredible characters. I was totally invested in them as a ten year old and remain so at fifty one years old. I may be naive but Lucas had the story before the toys and this new thing clearly has the toys before the story.

And I dont expect anything different from Abrams, the man who oversaw Leia totally fresh airing Chewie to hug a stranger.

I want to apologize for my previous post. I didnt mean "real fans" I meant the ones who were kinda around at the very beginning. So the older fans would be a bit more correct. Or the more "educated" fans about the characters. More invested. I hope that makes sense.

I've been second guessing the movie since I first saw in Thursday evening. I left the theater wide eyed and trying to absorb what I had just seen and put some meaning and sense behind it.

Walking out of the theater the second time this afternoon - I was much more sure and secure in my thoughts. The Last Jedi was just so much a better movie for me on the second watch. My original analogy that Rian hit a double and was looking to steal third is now that this movie is a solid triple.

It's still too long of a movie - there's a lull in the middle of the film that should have been fixed. But, the little things didn't bug me as much as they did the first time around. Everything seemed to come together so much better.

I'm as cynical as they come. I saw this today with the family and I didn't think it was half bad. What helped me is that by reading some of the spoilers here, it prepared me for the wtf moments. The Leia moment was uppercase WTF. Lol!

But the problem that I have is that we KNEW Luke and LOVED him. He was the HERO. And now he is a broken hermit on a remote island?! And a COWARD to boot?! Actually (atm in my emotional state) for me NOT acceptable!!! I do NOT need this!!!

I didn't view him so much a coward as someone who had lost faith in himself. Two VERY different things. I feel like he had a moment of personal crisis when he realized he was actually considering murdering someone. That glimmer of the dark side still lurking inside of him might have been enough by itself to shake his confidence.... but then Ben Solo completely destroys the training facility and leaves with many of the students.

This is a man who was broken. To me, it felt like he thought he would do more harm than good if he returned.

Yes, he gets a grip of himself, but then he´s gone after a deed that ends in his sacrifice. Okay, I can live with that, but DAMMIT why did that have to happen in the MIDDLE of the trilogy?! And even if he saved the last handful of rebels, it seemed so damn wasted, so NOT heroic.

How was it not heroic? He knew that if he returned from the island, all people would see was the broken man he had become. Who would that inspire? Who would that intimidate? He made the comment earlier about showing up with a "lasersword," but then he came to realize that, yes, that's EXACTLY what needed to happen, but he had been living on the island, not training. Him showing up physically would have been like Rocky showing up to his first fight with Clubber Lang -- totally unprepared and embarrassing.

So he did the only thing he could: He put every last ounce of energy he had into Force projecting exactly the Luke Skywalker that was needed.

The same actually goes for HAN!!! Eff it, Han is a BAD FATHER and HUSBAND???!!! He was part of my childhood, and I must admit that the star wars characters had a huge influence on me growing up, certainly a positive influence, just as superheroes had.
And we had to see him fail and fall, too?! That is REALLY a drama that nixed all those efforts and sacrifices they had made. If they go out, let them go out like heroes and not like punks. Have them lead a life that is unquestionable.

I feel like you're projecting your own idea of what you wanted these characters to be. That's fine, but that also sets up this level of disappointment when they aren't what you expect.

Han never lead a life that was unquestionable. His entire persona was as a scoundrel at heart. Sure, he did the right thing now and again, but he was always still kind walking that line of only thinking for himself.

I'm totally fine with him trying to go back to the thing he was good at: Smuggling. If I have any complaints it's that I would have liked more insight into what drove him and Leia apart than we were given by just a couple of lines of dialog.

I've seen a lot of comments that a second viewing improves this for many people (I picked up on a lot of new things myself) and I gotta wonder: anyone else find the whole opening night routine kinda unpleasant? I'm amped as hell, tired, stressed, anxious...I love the energy in the theater opening night, I just find it's easier to actually digest the MOVIE rather than the fan EXPERIENCE when I'm a little less over-stimulated.

Or am I just an old crabby introvert?

Watched TLJ again today...2D and english orignal version. I enjoyed it much more then the German version, especially the "humor" szenes blended in a lot better and did not come across so "slap stick" like in the German synchronised version.
I have red a lot in this threat since my first viewing Wednesday night and I found myself pushed to the one side and then to the other a couple of times. I finally realized for myself that the new trilogy is NOT the consquent continuation of the story line of 4, 5 and 6 but a re-worked OT, sort of, for the new generation of Disney's main client group...kids! It's not what George had in mind but a Disney product to make money. That does not mean it's bad though. Today I went to the show telling myself "you are 14 again, like in 77 when you saw Star Wars". It was hard but it worked...and when I left the movies I was happy! Yes, a couple of inconsistant things I spotted again but overall I was not as "shocked" as I was after the first show. For the 14 year old of today Luke, Han and Leia are not houshold names like for the 54 year old that drove home after the show. I hope I will remember this when I go and view episode IX. The then 56 year old will hate it, the 16 year old hopfully will love it. I plan on going to go as a 16 year old...less painful!

Ok...having said that here a couple more observations and opinions on the acting side of TLJ. The main charaters all grew up a bit...even Fin but he the least. The Fin charater gained a lot at the end and I wish he would have completed his attack on the cannon. Would have made him a hero finally and saved us headake. He is no replacement for any of the "old heros". Mark (Luke) played very good, especially concidering that he, from what we know, did not like the story of Luke this time. Carrie was fantastic and so was Laura Dern as Vice Admiral Holdo. Daisy (Rey) was the one that made the biggest step fwd IMHO. Her acting was excellent, very agile and strong. And, if the old fart may comment, the last two years did her do good, she looks soo much better now. Grown up I would say and...yes, sexy!
I am looking fwd now to episode IX, I wonder how the story will continue. I hope that the kid with the broom will get a good part!

cheers
Uwe

This may have been posted, but was there a tactical reason or explanation for Holdo not telling Poe her plan?

Honestly, why did she NEED to tell him her plan? She did not tell any other PILOTS the plan. In our eyes he a main character but in the movie he is a hot shot pilot that takes too many risks and has been reprimanded quite a bit.

Also, not knowing the plan is part of the plot for Canto to happen, Canto to fail and for Poe to get it through his head that every hair brained plan won't work, etc, etc.

Honestly, why did she NEED to tell him her plan? She did not tell any other PILOTS the plan. In our eyes he a main character but in the movie he is a hot shot pilot that takes too many risks and has been reprimanded quite a bit.

Also, not knowing the plan is part of the plot for Canto to happen, Canto to fail and for Poe to get it through his head that every hair brained plan won't work, etc, etc.

I'm not saying she *needed* to, just wasn't clear if there was an in-movie explanation for the decision. I get story-wise it was to trigger the mutiny, but wasn't clear on it...

Yes. The texture was missing. I noticed one attempt at going OT props style, when POE picked up a Binoc and it looked like a vintage camera juuuust ... (drumroll!!!) ... turned sideways. I think I even noticed that lens/depth/shutterspeed table that the old cameras had.

On the other hand...during the first battle, the attack on what they even aclled "The Dreadnought", the Resistance bomber fleet was Star Wars OT par excellance! You could almost smell the re-worked B-17 and B-29 parts and the look and feel of a WWII bomber. I liked that a lot!

- - - Updated - - -

Poe's demotion was absolutely correct...too much dashing and daring (on others cost) and not enough clever thinking.

I'm not saying she *needed* to, just wasn't clear if there was an in-movie explanation for the decision. I get story-wise it was to trigger the mutiny, but wasn't clear on it...

I mean she straight up told him that she was in command and didn't owe him an explanation - in a chain of command that's totally acceptable, Poe is supposed to follow his orders, not disregard them.

The direction dumped on the table that JJ Abrams set so nicely.

Luke's saber being tossed off a cliff is the perfect illustration of this. It was Johnson's way of saying "I'm throwing everything out the window, my movie."

Mark Hamill has been quoted as saying "I pretty much fundamentally disagree with every choice you've made with this character... (Luke)

In my opinion, it shows. Finally, Johnson has said that he thinks his SW movie is the penultimate of all the SW movies. Oh the hubris. Better than Empire? Please.

I’ve seen so many comments about the “flying” bit, with some people – not necessarily you – thinking that this is the creation of a new Jedi power to fly through space. That’s just wrong. I thought it was very obvious – and Jonah/Inquisior Perigrinus got this right in this thread or in another – she is pulling, just like Luke did with the lightsaber in the Wampa cave. The difference is that she is pulling on an object of immeasurably greater mass, namely the ship, while she is floating in a medium in which her own body has no weight. Therefore, when she pulls on that object, she is pulled to it, rather than it being pulled towards her.

Here is an analogy. You are in a swimming pool. Reach out and grab that pool noodle, and you can pull it toward you. Now reach out and grab the side of the pool and try to pull that toward you. See which one of you moves.

I myself have very mixed emotions about certain aspects of this film – but Carrie *flying* and all of the Mary Poppins references isn’t one of them.

M

I came to the same conclusion about pulling herself to the ship. My problem is: you go in the vacuum of space without protection, you die. Your blood would boil and other neat stuff. I hated it in Guardians of the Galaxy, I hated it here.

I've seen a lot of comments that a second viewing improves this for many people (I picked up on a lot of new things myself) and I gotta wonder: anyone else find the whole opening night routine kinda unpleasant? I'm amped as hell, tired, stressed, anxious...I love the energy in the theater opening night, I just find it's easier to actually digest the MOVIE rather than the fan EXPERIENCE when I'm a little less over-stimulated.

Or am I just an old crabby introvert?

Maybe. I saw it at the LA premiere, the fans were going nuts, the emotions incredibly high, the hype through the roof.
I saw it the second time Thursday night, much much better for me the second time, but the wife had the same initial reactions I did without any real hype or opening night emotion. She completely acknowledges she needs a second viewing.
I saw the original Star Wars when I was thirteen. Each movie had a lot of hype (the original didn't have the hype until after it opened, then it was huuuuuuuuge) and in many cases didn't live up to it. Even Empire left a bad taste in people's mouths, Harrison Ford even made a quote that I remember as "I figure there's eleven dollars of entertainment in this seven dollar movie" referring to the cliffhanger of Han Solo and the beat down of Luke.
Each movie released has had it's share of detractors. I really do not enjoy rewatching the prequels yet a whole generation of people (mostly) younger than me really loved them.
Now we have a new series, and you know what, many people are loving them as well. Movies are a product of their era.
It's kind of like Christmas. We always strive to have the Christmases we used to have as children, but we aren't children anymore. But you can make Christmas memories for your own children.

I came to the same conclusion about pulling herself to the ship. My problem is: you go in the vacuum of space without protection, you die. Your blood would boil and other neat stuff. I hated it in Guardians of the Galaxy, I hated it here.
Believe it or not the idea of eyes popping out in space is pure Hollywood. Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't far off the mark. 2001: A Space Odyssey was also very close to reality in the scene where Dave has to go from the pod through the airlock without his helmet except for them showing Dave taking in a big breath beforehand which is the last thing you want to do.

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-happens-to-the-unprotected-human-body-in-space/

It's a recurring horror in sci-fi: the hull is pierced, a human is trapped without equipment in an airlock about to open, a door needs to be opened in order to expel something undesirable. With no air and almost zero pressure, the human body isn't going to last long without some form of protection.
But what does happen, exactly? Do your eyes explode outward while your blood evaporates? Well, no. The truth is both less dramatic and far more fascinating -- as we have discovered through accidents in space and in test chambers, and animal experimentation in the 1960s.

The first thing you would notice is the lack of air. You wouldn't lose consciousness straight away; it might take up to 15 seconds as your body uses up the remaining oxygen reserves from your bloodstream, and -- if you don't hold your breath -- you could perhaps survive for as long as two minutes without permanent injury.

If you do hold your breath, the loss of external pressure would cause the gas inside your lungs to expand, which will rupture the lungs and release air into the circulatory system. The first thing to do if you ever find yourself suddenly expelled into the vacuum of space is exhale.

The other things, you can't really do much about. After about 10 seconds or so, your skin and the tissue underneath will begin to swell as the water in your body starts to vaporise in the absence of atmospheric pressure. You won't balloon to the point of exploding, though, since human skin is strong enough to keep from bursting; and, if you're brought back to atmospheric pressure, your skin and tissue will return to normal.

It also won't affect your blood, since your circulatory system is able to keep your blood pressure regulated, unless you go into shock. The moisture on your tongue may begin to boil, though, as reported by Jim LeBlanc, who was exposed to near vacuum in a test chamber in 1965. LeBlanc's suit sprung a leak, and he remained conscious for about 14 seconds; his last sensation was bubbling on his tongue (he was safely revived, as the researchers began repressurising the chamber almost immediately -- after about 15 seconds).

Because you will be exposed to unfiltered cosmic radiation, you can expect some nasty sunburn, and you'll probably also get a case of decompression sickness.You would not, however, freeze straight away, despite the extremely cold temperatures; heat does not leave the body quickly enough for you to freeze before you suffocate, due to the lack of both convection and conduction.

If you do die in space, your body will not decompose in the normal way, since there is no oxygen. If you were near a source of heat, your body would mummify; if you were not, it would freeze. If your body was sealed in a space suit, it would decompose, but only for as long as the oxygen lasted. Whichever the condition, though, your body would last for a very, very long time without air to facilitate weathering and degradation. Your corpse could drift in the vast expanse of space for millions of years.

Believe it or not the idea of eyes popping out in space is pure Hollywood. Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't far off the mark. 2001: A Space Odyssey was also very close to reality in the scene where Dave has to go from the pod through the airlock without his helmet except for them showing Dave taking in a big breath beforehand which is the last thing you want to do.

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-happens-to-the-unprotected-human-body-in-space/

It's a recurring horror in sci-fi: the hull is pierced, a human is trapped without equipment in an airlock about to open, a door needs to be opened in order to expel something undesirable. With no air and almost zero pressure, the human body isn't going to last long without some form of protection.
But what does happen, exactly? Do your eyes explode outward while your blood evaporates? Well, no. The truth is both less dramatic and far more fascinating -- as we have discovered through accidents in space and in test chambers, and animal experimentation in the 1960s.

The first thing you would notice is the lack of air. You wouldn't lose consciousness straight away; it might take up to 15 seconds as your body uses up the remaining oxygen reserves from your bloodstream, and -- if you don't hold your breath -- you could perhaps survive for as long as two minutes without permanent injury.

If you do hold your breath, the loss of external pressure would cause the gas inside your lungs to expand, which will rupture the lungs and release air into the circulatory system. The first thing to do if you ever find yourself suddenly expelled into the vacuum of space is exhale.

The other things, you can't really do much about. After about 10 seconds or so, your skin and the tissue underneath will begin to swell as the water in your body starts to vaporise in the absence of atmospheric pressure. You won't balloon to the point of exploding, though, since human skin is strong enough to keep from bursting; and, if you're brought back to atmospheric pressure, your skin and tissue will return to normal.

It also won't affect your blood, since your circulatory system is able to keep your blood pressure regulated, unless you go into shock. The moisture on your tongue may begin to boil, though, as reported by Jim LeBlanc, who was exposed to near vacuum in a test chamber in 1965. LeBlanc's suit sprung a leak, and he remained conscious for about 14 seconds; his last sensation was bubbling on his tongue (he was safely revived, as the researchers began repressurising the chamber almost immediately -- after about 15 seconds).

Because you will be exposed to unfiltered cosmic radiation, you can expect some nasty sunburn, and you'll probably also get a case of decompression sickness.You would not, however, freeze straight away, despite the extremely cold temperatures; heat does not leave the body quickly enough for you to freeze before you suffocate, due to the lack of both convection and conduction.

If you do die in space, your body will not decompose in the normal way, since there is no oxygen. If you were near a source of heat, your body would mummify; if you were not, it would freeze. If your body was sealed in a space suit, it would decompose, but only for as long as the oxygen lasted. Whichever the condition, though, your body would last for a very, very long time without air to facilitate weathering and degradation. Your corpse could drift in the vast expanse of space for millions of years.

Great article. Thank you for sharing and trying to teach this old dog a new trick.

Now, if you could only explain astral projection... :lol

The sight of Luke Skywalker fondling, extracting and consuming blue milk from what appeared to be a very grateful creature for absolutely zero benefit to the overall story will forever sum up the worth of this movie to me. At best it was the WORST easter egg in film history. There wont be a second time.

Last edited:
So the more that I think about the SuperLeia scene, the more I realize what it is about it that bothers me...

Leia's use of the Force in the scene is totally fine. I'm completely willing to buy into it. The problem, then, is that this scene is structured solely as a bait and switch. It is engineered to make you think "oh, so this is where they finish up Leia's storyline..." It's a cheap emotional shot ESPECIALLY because everyone in the audience is aware of Carrie Fisher's death. So it's drawn out, played for false sentimentality, and therefore it just rings hollow.

Having said that, I'm not entirely sure what a better way to structure that scene would have been.

On the flip side, I almost think that Luke transitioning to the Force was almost handled a little too quickly. It could have used a few more seconds of reverence.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back