Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Has anyone seen the so called Petition to Make The Last Jedi Non Canon but yet all other stuff can be. Im sorry but who ever thought this would work after 8 sequel films has to have been stoned and fools who sign it are drinking the same water.

Look, it is just bad writing. And yes, you can pick out bad writing in any movie. There are points of it everywhere. I have never seen a flawless movie. BUT when you have writing that stretches suspension of disbelief so thin that simple logic is also tossed out the window.... that's bad writing. I can handle it in small doses and ignore flaws for a genuinely well-crafted film. But you can't have bad writing in nearly every sequence. When it is too much too often is when a film goes from good to bad.

Look, it is just bad writing. And yes, you can pick out bad writing in any movie. There are points of it everywhere. I have never seen a flawless movie. BUT when you have writing that stretches suspension of disbelief so thin that simple logic is also tossed out the window.... that's bad writing. I can handle it in small doses and ignore flaws for a genuinely well-crafted film. But you can't have bad writing in nearly every sequence. When it is too much too often is when a film goes from good to bad.

Boy, I just don’t see that at all. I found most of the dialogue on point, the flow of the story was easy to follow, the pacing a tad choppy. The only time my logic was severely challenged was when Phasma was about to have Fin and Rose executes. She’s standing there surrounded by troopers and then Holdo rams the Supremecy. Next scene has Fin on the ground surrounded by debris, Rose is no where to be seen and neither is Phasma. Then she appears flanked by more troopers walking towards him. Just bonkers.

Description of some of the deleted scenes, one which may explain the Phasma/Finn scene I described above...

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi-deleted-scenes/

The first cut of Star Wars: The Last Jedi was three hours and ten minutes long and writer director Rian Johnson has said they are preparing to release 20 minutes of deleted scenes on the future Blu-ray/DVD release.

What about the other 20 minutes?

Some of those scenes are ok, a few I'm really glad didn't make it.

Boy, I just don’t see that at all. I found most of the dialogue on point, the flow of the story was easy to follow, the pacing a tad choppy. The only time my logic was severely challenged was when Phasma was about to have Fin and Rose executes. She’s standing there surrounded by troopers and then Holdo rams the Supremecy. Next scene has Fin on the ground surrounded by debris, Rose is no where to be seen and neither is Phasma. Then she appears flanked by more troopers walking towards him. Just bonkers.

You did not see any cheap plot devices used to fill in poor writing?

I guess this movie was just "too smart for me" as I've had thrown in my face by several loyalists over the past week.

You did not see any cheap plot devices used to fill in poor writing?

I guess this movie was just "too smart for me" as I've had thrown in my face by several loyalists over the past week.

Well, and I’m sure you have already made these points but save me from searching, give me an example or two of that in the film, the ones you found most egregious.

- - - Updated - - -

That Phasma scene gunning down her own troopers would have added an interesting note to her character.

SB

And probably explains how odd that sequence plays out in the film.

She has been shown to be ruthless enough to take out her subordinates to save her own skin. Wasted character arc. Anyone think she’s still alive?
I’m not sure if I want her alive. So far the only interesting thing about her is the chrome suit. That’s it. She exists only to serve as Fin’s nemesis. And she doesn’t seem particularly powerful.

I think it was a huge mistake for her to bend at gunpoint in TFA. I should expect her to have either fought to the death or dared them to shoot her instead. In this movie I can’t exactly read what’s being conveyed in her eye - fear? disbelief? conviction? It’s an acting challenge to emote through a single eye but I couldn’t read anything certain in hers.

And if she did come back (with facial scars, of course, because ... Star Wars) she’d just seem like a running Wylie Coyote gag.

I’m not sure if I want her alive. So far the only interesting thing about her is the chrome suit. That’s it. She exists only to serve as Fin’s nemesis. And she doesn’t seem particularly powerful.

I think it was a huge mistake for her to bend at gunpoint in TFA. I should expect her to have either fought to the death or dared them to shoot her instead. In this movie I can’t exactly read what’s being conveyed in her eye - fear? disbelief? conviction? It’s an acting challenge to emote through a single eye but I couldn’t read anything certain in hers.

And if she did come back (with facial scars, of course, because ... Star Wars) she’d just seem like a running Wylie Coyote gag.

Both JJ and Rian just never seemed to figure out what to do with her. Here’s Rian’s take..

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/17/star-wars-last-jedi-spoilers-captain-phasma-killed-survive/

i think that's a perfectly valid discussion. Heck, I'm sure the writers came up with a couple methods themselves and made decisions.The point is people automatically say "plot holes" "bad writing" and avoid what could be a fun discussion about the movie.

I'm starting to use the phrase "plot contrivance"

That's when they skip over details because they have a plot point in mind. To continue this, I'm positive that the reason they sent Finn on this adventure is because they needed to get him into a position where he could have a showdown with Phasma.

I'm starting to use the phrase "plot contrivance"

That's when they skip over details because they have a plot point in mind. To continue this, I'm positive that the reason they sent Finn on this adventure is because they needed to get him into a position where he could have a showdown with Phasma.

No, the trip to Canto Bite served a story purpose, getting the slicer to get them on the Supremecy, but also helped finish Finn’s character arc begin in TFA. In Last Jedi Finn is once again trying to leave, just like in TFA although for different motivations. But he’s still a confused ex-Stormtrooper naive abut what’s happening in the larger galaxy. His exposure to Canto Bite, the people, the education that both Rose and DJ provide him changes him fundamentally. When they arrive on Crait he’s willing to sacrifice himself for his friends and for their cause.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back