Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
If she was being attacked and antagonized because of the character she played (or any reason) then of course that’s not right AT ALL. But I think we should all be very careful when bandying about words like racism and sexism. Was she being harassed because she was a woman, or just happened to be a woman being harassed for her acting/character as noted with Jake Lloyd? Same goes for her ethnicity. Was she being attacked/harassed specifically because she’s Asian?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably all of the above honestly.

None of the reasons really make it better for me. She got a great job and did it. Blaming her is crap. I would've taken that job if offered and I'm a 40 year old white dude. For a part in Star Wars I would've kissed Fynn with feeling!

She did her job. The end. Not her fault that the story was weak and her character made bizarre decisions.

Now I DO get that 'Nerd' is the wrong word... But at the same time, you can't be against SJWs and harp on word choice. That's their thing: getting mad that someone used the wrong word.

I'm more about intent and I read the intent as "I'm Luke Skywalker (non RJ Version) and I say don't pick on cute young actors just trying to do their job"

So I wasn't bothered.

So first I was being lumped in with sexists and racists, now I'm being lumped in with nerds too?
oqW5s6V.gif

So first I was being lumped in with sexists and racists, now I'm being lumped in with nerds too?

Worn that ‘ Nerd ‘ badge with pride since ‘77 ! ..., course I did’nt know what the word really meant til I started High school a year or so later .
Still didn’t bother me as much as being in a school that was predominantly female at the time of enrolment though !... :confused:facepalm
I guess I was a ‘ late bloomer ‘ ! :lol

:cheersGed

Last edited:
Yep. I own "the badge" myself. I wear shirts, I have stuff on my car. I listen to the music loud. I go to opening showings of Star Wars films and freely put that on my work calendars. I'm with the 501st and do events throughout the year, and I don't hide it. I'm 40 now and could give 2 ***s what anyone thinks when I get those nerd or geek comments of Star Wars, either. There's plenty of others out there, moreso than haters, who dig it.

I truly just don't care. I love it.

I've learned to laugh off a lot of things. I admit it's really funny to passionately get into arguments over things that aren't even real life, but I've always treated Star Wars as my real life, because real life isn't all it's cracked up to be in comparison.

Rose was disliked because she was forced diversity, used in an attempt to appeal to asians.

That's how forced diversity works, rant to the world about a character's race or gender to put them in the spotlight, then label any criticism, no mattet how legitimate, as some form of -ism.

I know several asian families who get together for Chinese New Year and hotpots...for years! They even survived the election, but out of nearly 50 people, two girls love Rose. Rose is "strong," blah blah blah. Everone else saw Rose as a low self-esteem, token who fell in love with a guy who was ready to leave her 18 hours prior. The in-your-face, ism-labellibg shouters were the two girls. One no longer attends gatherings.

It wasnt the 48 people who have the problem.

Its like the people who love Phasma...when you look at what she *accomplished* she is beyond worthless, she is of negative value to her comrades.

Hyping an empty shell has its risk

10 years ago I bought a Millennium Falcon and OT figure set off eBay for my daughter, the description said it was displayed only and being sold to raise money for an engagement ring. I couldn't help but think "WOW! Another nerd has finally gotten a life!"
Getting a life isn't a BAD thing. :lol

If she was being attacked and antagonized because of the character she played (or any reason) then of course that’s not right AT ALL. But I think we should all be very careful when bandying about words like racism and sexism. Was she being harassed because she was a woman, or just happened to be a woman being harassed for her acting/character as noted with Jake Lloyd? Same goes for her ethnicity. Was she being attacked/harassed specifically because she’s Asian?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It also depends on how she was attacked. I mean, yes, attacking Hayden for wooden acting (likely George's fault for lousy dialogue and "faster, more intense" direction) or attacking Jake Lloyd because you didn't want to watch Anakin as a kid is despicable, but not really sexist or racist. Attacking Kelly Marie Tran by insulting her appearance specifically, or attacking her ethnicity or whathaveyou, that'd be sexist and/or racist.

Regardless, people have been dicks to her online, along with a lot of other folks, and enough is enough. So, yeah, I say the nerds should get a life -- specifically the nerds who find it necessary to ****** on the actors who are just doing a job. I mean, I hate Jar Jar, but I don't hate Ahmed Best. I actually think he's really talented in terms of physical portrayals of characters. It's not his fault he wound up portraying a character that became emblematic for what was wrong with the PT. I'll decry George's story choices there rather than Best's portrayal.

Two things have happened with Star Wars over the years.

1. The fan base has gotten older.

2. The fan base has gotten broader.

I think it's up to those with a modicum of wisdom to call out the bad behavior of those who are lacking it. I don't count myself among the "nerds" that Mark was admonishing, even though I count myself as a nerd, geek, whatever. I know he's not talking to me. I know he's not talking to everyone who criticized the Rose character. But I also know he's talking to some seriously toxic ******** who need to learn boundaries or -- if they're incapable of that -- need to told to shut the hell up. Go ahead and criticize story choices, writing, or hell even then acting itself. But leave the actor alone on their social media and in their everyday life.

I didn't like Sofia Coppola's performance in Godfather III. I'm also not blowing up her social media and ****ting all over her or her performance about it. But if I felt the need to do so? Then someone would be absolutely in the right by telling me to get a life.

Rose was disliked because she was forced diversity, used in an attempt to appeal to asians.

That's how forced diversity works, rant to the world about a character's race or gender to put them in the spotlight, then label any criticism, no mattet how legitimate, as some form of -ism.

I know several asian families who get together for Chinese New Year and hotpots...for years! They even survived the election, but out of nearly 50 people, two girls love Rose. Rose is "strong," blah blah blah. Everone else saw Rose as a low self-esteem, token who fell in love with a guy who was ready to leave her 18 hours prior. The in-your-face, ism-labellibg shouters were the two girls. One no longer attends gatherings.

It wasnt the 48 people who have the problem.

Its like the people who love Phasma...when you look at what she *accomplished* she is beyond worthless, she is of negative value to her comrades.

Hyping an empty shell has its risk

Ok. I'll bite.

I agree that casting Kelly Marie Tran and Ngo Thanh Van as her sister was an example of diversity in casting.

But here's my question: how is this forced diversity? And what did that have to do with the actual story itself? Are you suggesting it was a problem that they cast Asian actors for these two roles? Did casting Asians somehow alter or harm the story?

I could potentially see an argument where a casting decision is made specifically for diversity purposes and that decision led to a bad actor being cast when a better one was readily available, but that implies that Tran's performance was, itself, bad.

I haven't seen anyone claim that her acting was poor. I've seen concerns about the character's decisions and motivations, but those all stem from the writing of the character and not the acting. As an actor, there's really only so much you can do with whatever material you're given. You can't really close up a plot hole (if one exists) just based on your performance. You can't alter the character's motivations or change plot details unless you're a high-profile enough actor to have pull with the director, or you have a really collaborative director and writing staff.

As to the "tokenism" argument, I think it's worth being sensitive to it, but at the same time, if diverse actors are only rarely given roles, then literally every time one is given a role it'll just be written off as tokenism.

At the end of the day, I don't see Rose's race as really mattering one way or the other. She could've been a Twi'ilek or a Togruta or a Miralan or whatever and it wouldn't really change the story. So, the fact that she and her sister were Asian? Why would that be a problem? And what about Kelly Marie Tran's performance itself is a problem?

Dan,

The point behind forced diversity is that any criticism will be treated with cries of -ism. It is a cowardly attempt to create a bullet-proof character in hopes the asian market will embrace her simply because she is asian. A female market will emvrace her for being female. People using superficial qualities to accept and defend a terrible character, then accusing everyone *else* who see the character as deeply terrible, of being superficial.

The looks people are accusing the merit people if *being* the looks people.

The same folks who jumped up and down and pointed at her screaming, "look! An asian female in Star Wars!" Are the same people who respond to any criticism with the, "you just dont like strong female characters," or " you dont like asians," or both.

The toxicity was created by the people who responded to Rose superficially, and are angered that the people who see past her race and gender realise Rose is pretty pathetic.

So, forced diversity: You Must Love her because she is asian and female!

Boycotters: she hero worships Finn. Sees that he has his bags packed and is ready to leave, TAZES him. Yet, falls in love after an 18 hr date. Oh, she also sabotages Finns one chance to redeem himself...making the entire battering ram scene useless.

I didn't like Sofia Coppola's performance in Godfather III. I'm also not blowing up her social media and ****ting all over her or her performance about it.

Oh FFS, Dan...lol...that film is nearly 30 years old! And pre-dates the internet, let alone social media.

OH MAN... Imagine what the word must be for me when people find out I'm building a full scale Millennium Falcon! ;)

Well then, I think the best term for you, Sofa, would be: "full scale nerd". :D

The Wook

Dan,

The point behind forced diversity is that any criticism will be treated with cries of -ism. It is a cowardly attempt to create a bullet-proof character in hopes the asian market will embrace her simply because she is asian. A female market will emvrace her for being female. People using superficial qualities to accept and defend a terrible character, then accusing everyone *else* who see the character as deeply terrible, of being superficial.

The looks people are accusing the merit people if *being* the looks people.

The same folks who jumped up and down and pointed at her screaming, "look! An asian female in Star Wars!" Are the same people who respond to any criticism with the, "you just dont like strong female characters," or " you dont like asians," or both.

The toxicity was created by the people who responded to Rose superficially, and are angered that the people who see past her race and gender realise Rose is pretty pathetic.

So, forced diversity: You Must Love her because she is asian and female!

Boycotters: she hero worships Finn. Sees that he has his bags packed and is ready to leave, TAZES him. Yet, falls in love after an 18 hr date. Oh, she also sabotages Finns one chance to redeem himself...making the entire battering ram scene useless.

The critique of her character has nothing to do with her race or gender, if Rose was a white male the issues you raised would still be there. The reason this is an issue is because people were specifically atacking the actress with racial and sexist comments. Nobody says the character has to be loved, if you don't like Rose why bring up her race at all?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back