Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
At some point, you've gotta realize some folks aren't here for discussing the movie. Whether or not that's some folks' agenda here (or even someone like me, lol) if up to you to decide. :D
Rrrrrright...
High-horse.jpg

As it is, people having the most difficulty with Luke aren’t the base these films are catering to.

Well, they F...ing should be! SW is only the phenomenal success because the fans of the OT made it that way. What Disney/LFL are doing is giving that same fan base the middle finger with both hands. If this new SW is for a new generation of fans, what's the point of even including the original characters just to do them a gross disservice? I wish I could be as pragmatic as Bryan but I'm in it for the love of Star Wars not the perks of financial success available to share holders.

Well, they F...ing should be! SW is only the phenomenal success because the fans of the OT made it that way. What Disney/LFL are doing is giving that same fan base the middle finger with both hands. If this new SW is for a new generation of fans, what's the point of even including the original characters just to do them a gross disservice? I wish I could be as pragmatic as Bryan but I'm in it for the love of Star Wars not the perks of financial success available to share holders.

Thats why I said, the new fans will probably see this as a stand alone trilogy or the beginning of some type of new universe. With maybe reading alittle back story on Luke.

However, If a miracle happens and JJ finds a way in EpIX to tie everything together, then I will be the first to jump sip to the ST fan side.

My fingers are crossed.

Alot of us are very hard on this movie. But the trilogy is not over. If Ep IX, doesnt do it. Then, the people here, that gave TLJ a hard time. Will really explode! I hope that doesnt happen, for Star Wars sake.

I was initially pleased that JJ was directing TFA, and even with all its flaws, I feel he knows how to make a SW movie even if it was a safe play to relaunch a franchise mired by the PT. I was less happy with the idea of RJ but I enjoyed Looper so remained optimistic. Turns out he fundamentally doesn't understand SW. Again, I'm OK with JJ's return and even hopeful for something more than a retread. It's been reported, that ep IX will tie the three trilogies together. But a satisfying conclusion to the whole saga or even just the ST may be beyond the talents of Mr Abrams. The LFL story group have so far proved themselves to be superfluous and arbitrary.

I'm also tired of hearing about the "profound" message in this movie that anyone can be strong with the force, as with the little boy at the end. That a great Jedi can begin with the humblest of beginnings and not come from "royal" lineage. There was nothing visionary about that idea (if in fact that is the message they tried to send at the end of this movie). Lucas kind of already made that statement in The Phantom Menace. Anakin came from (as far as we know) a non-force using mother of insignificant importance, he had no dad, and he was a slave. We got it.

Those two desires are not mutually exclusive.

- - - Updated - - -

Last Jedi is now the global 2017 Box office champ.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/

One hundred and twenty one pages tell a different story

As does being the top grossing film of 2017. Based on that and the very positive critical reviews Disney is likely to conclude that the backlash, though very loud and vocal, was relatively minor and not a major concern to circle back to the original question I was asked.

- - - Updated - - -

With all the publicity, with all the money spent on commercials and ads and "in your face" SW. I sure hope they are the box office champ. Cause boy that would have sucked.

Time will tell, if this new trilogy and these new fans, will act and feel the same way, as we did. Like I said many pages back, this new generation is a Pokemon Go, a League of Legends, a Call of duty. Not a sit still and watch a movie, generation. So I wish Disney good luck with the completion of this. They will probably get another $10 plus popcorn from me. Unless someone pays for my ticket,;)

With all the publicity, with all the money spent on commercials and ads and "in your face" SW. I sure hope they are the box office champ. Cause boy that would have sucked.

Time will tell, if this new trilogy and these new fans, will act and feel the same way, as we did. Like I said many pages back, this new generation is a Pokemon Go, a League of Legends, a Call of duty. Not a sit still and watch a movie, generation. So I wish Disney good luck with the completion of this. They will probably get another $10 plus popcorn from me. Unless someone pays for my ticket,;)

You can be my date. :)

This idea that Disney/LFL are pushing Star Wars to a new generation of fans is BS, it is an attempt to justify the fact that they missed with this one. Which is also ties in with this notion that detractors of this film are all butt hurt hardcore OT fans.

With the massive time lapse of what, 16 years?, between Jedi and phantom menace you'll find that most people born between 1980 and the early 90's will be OT fans, because there was nothing else. Especially when you factor in the special edition releases.

This puts a massive portion of your fan base at the age of late 20's to mid 30's. All weaned on the OT. They should be your target audience. These are the people with young families, if the parents aren't enthusing about Star Wars then the kids will be less likely to pick it up.

With the merchandising all but dead in the water now, there is little stuff to keep Star Wars in the minds of those kids if the films aren't getting house play. The SW section at my local toy shop is pitiful, and most of what they do have is Vader and R2, with some Kylo. Ship play sets don't count, as to anyone from outside of a board like this, an x-wing is an x wing, the falcon is the falcon etc (no one cares about the square dish) there is little that is ST specific. And what there is, is plentiful because no-ones buying it.

If they keep going in this nonsensical direction there will be massive drop offs film on film until it dies. By all means do something new, but at least make it good and actually episodic.

You can be my date. :)

If Im your date, then I want to go to one of those fancy theaters. Recliners, beer, and cute waitresses. And a companion that is willing to be completely honest, will not have his cell phone to look at stocks, while the movie is playing and to scream BS!! at the screen, when its shown. Then is willing to take the long drive home, arguing profusely, different points in the movie. Then pizza...

- - - Updated - - -

Though not a champ here 52.93% negative in this thread's poll

& now dropped to 90% for the critic & 49% for the audience on Rotten Tomatoes

No matter how much money it makes, there is something seriously wrong with the film

J

- - - Updated - - -

Of course it did, it's SW. But it still under-performed compared to TFA. TFA did 1 billion in 12 days, TLJ took 3 weeks, iirc. Part 9 will be even worse if they don't get out ahead of this and cater to the fans that don't like what they saw.

The fact that they are trying to spin Luke as a hero that stayed away out of duty and personal responsibility, instead of the fearful old man (I wasn't afraid then, I am now.) that was in the movie, shows us that they understand they made a mistake.

I've brought this point up to you before. But you ignored that post.

Of course it did, it's SW. But it still under-performed compared to TFA. TFA did 1 billion in 12 days, TLJ took 3 weeks, iirc. Part 9 will be even worse if they don't get out ahead of this and cater to the fans that don't like what they saw.

The fact that they are trying to spin Luke as a hero that stayed away out of duty and personal responsibility, instead of the fearful old man (I wasn't afraid then, I am now.) that was in the movie, shows us that they understand they made a mistake.

I've brought this point up to you before. But you ignored that post.

I didn't ignore you, I'm not sure what you are suggesting.

Though not a champ here 52.93% negative in this thread's poll

& now dropped to 90% for the critic & 49% for the audience on Rotten Tomatoes

No matter how much money it makes, there is something seriously wrong with the film

J

Well, It's ok would be considered positive. But that middle option is poorly worded. So really you have 47% positive and 33% negative with 19% not sure.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back