Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
I'll say it as many times as you'd like: I love all the Star Wars movies, and I think The Last Jedi is the best one by a healthy margin. I love it more every time I revisit it, its metaphors resonating more deeply as I dig into its layers of meaning. No caveats. No significant qualifiers. I am better for having seen it.

Care to expand?

Came across this, I don’t agree with 100% of the guy’s points, but he lays out his arguments much more coherently than 99% of the “youtube Guy” videos I’ve seen on the subject of TLJ. There’s a few good points I hadn’t really considered, that tend to support the idea that there’s a whole lot more going on in the film than there appears to be at first glance.

I don’t think it’ll magically change the minds of the haters (as that’s not the point), and it’s definitely not an all-encompassing review in any way, but it’s a well-constructed, well-supported series of arguments in any case. And discussions of different aspects of a film certainly interest me more than listening to somebody rant for an hour about little more than “it’s GOOD!” or “it’s BAD!”

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if it's been brought up, but "In Defense of The Last Jedi", by Movies with Mikey is also a really good analysis.

https://youtu.be/mWqVJZMh6-w

Came across this, I don’t agree with 100% of the guy’s points, but he lays out his arguments much more coherently than 99% of the “youtube Guy” videos I’ve seen on the subject of TLJ. There’s a few good points I hadn’t really considered, that tend to support the idea that there’s a whole lot more going on in the film than there appears to be at first glance.

I don’t think it’ll magically change the minds of the haters (as that’s not the point), and it’s definitely not an all-encompassing review in any way, but it’s a well-constructed, well-supported series of arguments in any case. And discussions of different aspects of a film certainly interest me more than listening to somebody rant for an hour about little more than “it’s GOOD!” or “it’s BAD!”

https://youtu.be/Ths6bXlBDrs

That's a long video for a rant about a stupid movie...

It's good, though... I'm watching it now.

Last edited:
:sleep A 100 minute long response to a 20 min video? Heh, this reminds me of something a professor once said about giving speeches:

”Are you gonna make a point? Or do you just like hearing the sound of your own voice?”

Didn’t watch the whole thing. In the first couple mins all the guy manages to say is “movie was bad because writing was not good and it had flaws.” No examples given to support that, and no specifics to back up the opinion. Then he goes on at length about how his expectations were not met by the film’s reality. Nevermind the fact that he seems to miss the whole part of the original video where it’s explained that it doesn’t apply to *all* of the fans who disliked the film, just a specific subset.

Jumped ahead to 45 mins in and we’re still just speaking in vague terms and opinions. I skip ahead again past the 1 hr mark. Not sure how the end of TFA where we see Luke for 10 seconds, there’s no dialogue and he just stares sadly at his old saber “sets him up as a wise old sage.”

I shudder to think how long his review of the 2 1/2 hour film would be... 10 hours? :lol

Really, this 100 min response video is Exhibit A for everything that’s wrong with most YouTube videos. Waaaaay too long, rambling, and microanalyzation to the point where every sentence of the original is responded to with 5 mins of talk, all boiling down to nothing more compelling than “movie BAD, story BAD.”

:sleep A 100 minute long response to a 20 min video? Heh, this reminds me of something a professor once said about giving speeches:

”Are you gonna make a point? Or do you just like hearing the sound of your own voice?”

Didn’t watch the whole thing. In the first couple mins all the guy manages to say is “movie was bad because writing was not good and it had flaws.” No examples given to support that, and no specifics to back up the opinion. Then he goes on at length about how his expectations were not met by the film’s reality. Nevermind the fact that he seems to miss the whole part of the original video where it’s explained that it doesn’t apply to *all* of the fans who disliked the film, just a specific subset.

Jumped ahead to 45 mins in and we’re still just speaking in vague terms and opinions. I skip ahead again past the 1 hr mark. Not sure how the end of TFA where we see Luke for 10 seconds, there’s no dialogue and he just stares sadly at his old saber “sets him up as a wise old sage.”

I shudder to think how long his review of the 2 1/2 hour film would be... 10 hours? :lol

Really, this 100 min response video is Exhibit A for everything that’s wrong with most YouTube videos. Waaaaay too long, rambling, and microanalyzation to the point where every sentence of the original is responded to with 5 mins of talk, all boiling down to nothing more compelling than “movie BAD, story BAD.”

He's taking apart everything the guy said in the video YOU posted - which... did you even watch? Because 100-Minute-Man is right: That guy is way off base.

He's taking apart everything the guy said in the video YOU posted - which... did you even watch? Because 100-Minute-Man is right: That guy is way off base.
I’m not confused as to what he’s talking about.

I’m saying his argument is weak, IMO.

Of course I watched the video I posted, I even commented on how I didn’t agree with every point made :behave

Admittedly I don't watch the videos posted here but 100 minutes!? That seems excessive for an opinion video. I post original content under 15 minutes on YouTube and people tell me it's to long! LOL

In my opinion, this is one of the best videos on TLJ. But if you don't want watch it, then at least read the last thing he says.

"And to all the people who hate it. I wish you see could what I see because it's pretty great."

I often like Patrick, but he's quite wrong in a lot of places here.

For one, he keeps reminding us that these are movies designed for children. For one, Star wars is arguably one of the greatest movies ever made. To say that it's just a movie for kids is a copy out. That's what Lucas said when people reacted negatively to TPM.

secondly, if they were intended for kids then TLJ fails miserably. If you think kids would prefer watching this over the OT or even the clone wars, you're crazy. Kids just don't need cynical meta-commentary and dreary shoe-gazers.

They fell in love with Star wars for it's hope. It's heroes. They (and all of us) wanted to LIVE there. Lucas created an amazing Galaxy that we were drawn to. That includes the prequels.

So far, the Galaxy Disney is showing is is dismal. I'd certainly rather ride one of those wookie flyers than one of those stupid crap-sleds on krayt
https://youtu.be/w1VeOlIDD9o

In my opinion, this is one of the best videos on TLJ. But if you don't want watch it, then at least read the last thing he says.

"And to all the people who hate it. I wish you see could what I see because it's pretty great."

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

When I saw the 'iron' scene I realised that Rian Johnston was having a laugh with this movie,.....this was the straw that broke the camel's back for me......by the end of the film I couldn't believe what I had just watched

J

Oh god...I forgot about that. I still haven't made it through a second time...
When I saw the 'iron' scene I realised that Rian Johnston was having a laugh with this movie,.....this was the straw that broke the camel's back for me......by the end of the film I couldn't believe what I had just watched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Hqv4ALmHI

J

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back