Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Yikes.... I remember the amazing anti-anti-gravity bombs on the dreadnaught, but it looked to me like it damaged a good part of the ship, but hadn’t completely destroyed it and was still posing a major threat. That makes sense now.

I must have really missed something between when the supremacy arrived because I thought it was the same ship, HAHAHAHAHAH!

Oh man I feel like an idiot and I’ve watched the film 4 times. I need to see this part again as I most certainly didn’t connect these dots.

In regards to size difference arguments.... Luke’s tiny X-wing proton torpedoes had enough kick to set off a major chain reaction to single-handedly destroy an entire planet-sized space station. If it was built under the same blueprint plans as the first Death Star, those torpedoes must have hit a heck of a mark in that huge base where the reactor cores were in ROTJ.

I totally understand the logic arguments of size comparison in the real world and don’t deny any of that, but Star Wars has always been known for certain rules not applying to how things work in its universe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember, the bombs were supposedly magnetically driven, but didn't follow inverse square law. In other words, the bombs should have increased in speed exponentially as they approached the Dreadnaught.

And y'know what, THAT would have been SO COOL! ! Physiciist would get on tv and rant about it! Watching bombs lock on a target and speed up as they got closer. But when you make that point, you get told science doesn't apply. It only applies when someone wants to explain something sloppily written and they hope you don't see it.

The bomber scene, y'know, where they armed the bombs INSIDE the bombers and blew each other up.

The bomber scene, y'know, there they grouped together to become on easy target.

Microjumps have been done before. First one was in Han Solo at Stars' End, back in the late '70s.

I don't pretend to have all the answers about the interaction of hyperspace, realspace, the protective bubbles ships generate around themselves when they jump, etc. Since it's all made up as they go, they'll keep coming up with things we haven't seen before. None of which means it's the first time it's ever been done -- we don't have minute-by-minute coverage of every point in the GFFA for the tens of millennia of galactic civilization, after all -- just that it's the first time we see it done. Why didn't they do it in any previous movies? Because things weren't desperate enough and they needed their few capital ships more than they needed the win. Not this time.

And to reinforce a point, don't confuse gravity well with an artificial gravity well projector (the latter of which, incidentally, I have never seen associated with either Death Star). All objects with mass have gravity. You, me, this tablet, etc. The more massive an object, the deeper its gravity well. Why our spacecraft have to work so hard to haul themselves up to even Low-Earth Orbit. We've only had one escape our star's gravity well. That mass all has a presence of sorts in hyperspace, which modern hyperdrives are programmed to shut off when they encounter such a mass shadow. Pretty sure even now one has to be far enough away from a significant gravity well to be able to jump.

We know from the original movie that encountering realspace objects under hyperdrive is bad. I don't know that anyone's ever graphically elaborated upon what does happen when you "fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova". Is it just bug-against-a-windshield fatal? Or does it cause more damage than just to the ship and its occupants? Given the Supremacy is about the length of an old Executor-class Command Ship, but of significantly greater height and many times its width, I'm willing to bet it has a respectable gravity of its own, though still far shy of the first Death Star, let alone the second. So the equivalent of the Raddus hypering into an asteroid or thereabouts. Since we've never seen it done before, and never been told explicitly it hadn't, maybe that's what happens when that sort of interaction happens.

Last edited:
Okay wow... clearly some things I failed to pay any attention to. I guess I was super confused that they said the dreadnaught was down and then this other ship I just didn’t look at... and was the Supremacy even called out?

I’m not even going to cover up and try to backtrack my posts. I clearly was confused about this part.

I don’t watch and read every interview out there, but did they even say Maglev bombs in the film, or was it just lazily left out of naming to remove confusion among people who thought they were dropping by means of natural gravity.

I shouldn’t still be this confused. This is the only film out of all of them that leaves so many questions in a story that ended pretty much everything in the prequel/OT realm.

I don't want every interview either, but given what was presented in the film, the bombs appeared to free fall. So, no magnetism. Also, being able to arm a bomb remotely, you'd THINK they'd wait till they DROPPED the bombs to arm them.

Instead they blew themselves up. Like Wyl E. Coyote. You'd think a seasoned bomber group, the last remaining bomber group, wouldn't be so dang stupid.

If the bombers had separated, they would each be an individual target, scattering fire, insted, they were one, big, easy, dumb, explosive target.

I only saw tlj once, but after the opening crawl about "brave rebels"... fleeing or some crap like that, my spider sense was tingling.
niennumb1, thanks for not backtracking. Honesty seems hard to find in a lot of forums. :thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay wow... clearly some things I failed to pay any attention to. I guess I was super confused that they said the dreadnaught was down and then this other ship I just didn’t look at... and was the Supremacy even called out?

I’m not even going to cover up and try to backtrack my posts. I clearly was confused about this part.

I don’t watch and read every interview out there, but did they even say Maglev bombs in the film, or was it just lazily left out of naming to remove confusion among people who thought they were dropping by means of natural gravity.

I shouldn’t still be this confused. This is the only film out of all of them that leaves so many questions in a story that ended pretty much everything in the prequel/OT realm.

That's honestly not your fault. That's how poorly this movie is paced and written. The Supremacy was announced by the cast. I believe it was Poe who said, "that's the Supremacy, Snoke's flagship." Or something to that effect. I'm glad you have the honesty to not backtrack because I've found a lot of others will never admit they were mistaken despite an avalanche of evidence. I have been following the interviews very closely since the movie came out. I would welcome RJ to a 1 on 1 but I know that would never happen. Maglev bombs were never mentioned. It was named after he got called out for having it as one of many nonsense elements in the film. Exactly...you shouldn't be that confused. But you are. Why do you think that is? A good plot doesn't leave you confused.

The way some people feverishly deny facts, logic, and evidence makes me think they are paid shills for the things they type. It's baffling.

The next film feels out of gas before getting there. Why? TFA saw Starkiller base destroy the entire Republic. The Resistance is destroyed, no way to formally resist the galaxy spanning First Order. They have thousands of star destroyers in their fleet. Millions upon millions of men and women. The Resistance is what's left on the Millennium Falcon. Luke is dead. Han is dead. Snoke is dead, replaced with Kylo as the main villain. Where do we go from here? How the heck does the Resistance move forward in that mess? How can you fight the First Order? They have no allies left, nobody helped them when they broad cast a distress signal on Crait.
@niennumb1

I found it for ya, buddy! Took some digging. But I was right, Poe was the one who recognizes Snoke's flagship, The Supremacy.

Also, why only launch 4 fighters? I found a YouTube joke to illustrate the hilarity of this bad writing.

Bridge Officer: Sir, we've come out of hyperspace right on top of the resistance flotilla, shall we launch our full fighter compliment?
Hux: No, three plus Kylo Ren's fighter should be enough.
Officer under his breath: 1,500 TIE's in the auxiliary hangar alone and we're gonna launch... 4. No wonder we always lose.
Hux: What was that?!
Officer: Nothing, sir.

Edit:
As a bonus, here's a size comparison video of some of the largest ships in Star Wars.

Okay, regarding the bombs, my take from first viewing on was that the racks were magnetic, and that they weren't so much "dropped" as launched like a rail gun.

TFA saw Starkiller base destroy the entire Republic.

Dude. Just the capitol (okay, the entire Hosnian system, appparently, I recently learned). The bulk of the New Republic Navy was in dock there at the time, so it, too, got seriously messed up.

The Resistance is destroyed, no way to formally resist the galaxy spanning First Order. They have thousands of star destroyers in their fleet. Millions upon millions of men and women.

Two parts to this. The Resistance is still viable. When Leia started it, it was just her and a score of people who believed in her. No ships or bases or anything. They got that far in five years, now they're out of the immediate Crait Crisis they can again. And the First Order isn't galaxy-spanning. They have been making inroads into one portion of known space from the Unknown Regions for about a year or so. And where are you getting those figures from? Thousands of ships?

They have no allies left, nobody helped them when they broad cast a distress signal on Crait.

Given over the last day or so, since everything is massively compressed, a power unknown to much of the galaxy, and disregarded as a threat by the government, used a hyperspace weapon to wipe out the entire capitol system and majority of the New Republic's fleet, everyone's probably scrambling to figure out who's in charge, gather the remnants of the fleet, pull resources in and guard their own planets, and worry about who's going to be hit next. I don't know that people have had time, in the few hours Leia gave them between landing on Crait and being attacked, to respond. If Billy Dee is indeed back in IX, I have a hunch he's leading the response/coming to the rescue, in some fashion.

Dude. Just the capitol (okay, the entire Hosnian system, appparently, I recently learned). The bulk of the New Republic Navy was in dock there at the time, so it, too, got seriously messed up.
You're affirming my point.

Two parts to this. The Resistance is still viable. When Leia started it, it was just her and a score of people who believed in her. No ships or bases or anything. They got that far in five years, now they're out of the immediate Crait Crisis they can again. And the First Order isn't galaxy-spanning. They have been making inroads into one portion of known space from the Unknown Regions for about a year or so. And where are you getting those figures from? Thousands of ships?

How is that viable? There's nothing left. A skeleton crew at this point. The First Order is Galaxy-spanning. Play Battlefront 2's campaign and campaign DLC. A cutscene is shown with thousands of First Order ships on the galaxy map. In Iden's words, "capital ships - enough to reclaim control over the entire galaxy." That's just the First Order Navy. Regarding Project Resurrection (stealing children to make up the First Order Stormtroopers), Iden's daughter says, "their military numbers must be... I can't even imagine." I don't think it would be out of line to number them in the millions.

26:00-28:00 timestamp

Given over the last day or so, since everything is massively compressed, a power unknown to much of the galaxy, and disregarded as a threat by the government, used a hyperspace weapon to wipe out the entire capitol system and majority of the New Republic's fleet, everyone's probably scrambling to figure out who's in charge, gather the remnants of the fleet, pull resources in and guard their own planets, and worry about who's going to be hit next. I don't know that people have had time, in the few hours Leia gave them between landing on Crait and being attacked, to respond. If Billy Dee isindeed back in IX, I have a hunch he's leading the response/coming to the rescue, in some fashion.

We'll see. I'm not convinced yet.

So, in ESB how were the TIE bombers dropping bombs onto the asteroid searching for the Falcon?

Those didn't look like actual 'bombs.' They were white/blue when dropped, which makes me think either some kind of proton bomb or something of the like. It was energy based, these were not.

Has anyone else heard the voice over when the tree calls to Rey? Around the 22:25 mark. It's been pointed out in a couple of YT vids that you can clearly hear the words "you are his salvation. You are his niece. Saviour".

Thoughts?

Has anyone else heard the voice over when the tree calls to Rey? Around the 22:25 mark. It's been pointed out in a couple of YT vids that you can clearly hear the words "you are his salvation. You are his niece. Saviour".

Thoughts?

I have thought a lot about TLJ, but this is a bridge too far. No way.

I think.....last jedi is becoming the new Ghostbusters remake in respects to controversy,if this thread and many of the other ones gets locked colored me shocked,people are losing their marbles in amazing ways over a dumb movie :wacko

I think it sucked big ones and feel it's a turd in the punch bowl but enough you like it great,you don't who cares?

There's a lot of things driving me away from movies,all of them,I haven't seen the new Kong,Logan,any of the Marvel stuff for over a year,and many more and have no wish to watch any of it,just one big toilet flush at this point.

Even Blade Runner 2049 which I'm crazy about I bought the DVD two weeks ago and have no wish to open it and watch,film as a form of entertainment is in full suck mode the last couple years.

That is all.

I think.....last jedi is becoming the new Ghostbusters remake in respects to controversy,if this thread and many of the other ones gets locked colored me shocked,people are losing their marbles in amazing ways over a dumb movie :wacko

I think it sucked big ones and feel it's a turd in the punch bowl but enough you like it great,you don't who cares?

There's a lot of things driving me away from movies,all of them,I haven't seen the new Kong,Logan,any of the Marvel stuff for over a year,and many more and have no wish to watch any of it,just one big toilet flush at this point.

Even Blade Runner 2049 which I'm crazy about I bought the DVD two weeks ago and have no wish to open it and watch,film as a form of entertainment is in full suck mode the last couple years.

That is all.
Yea.
The only thing that keeps me interested is Villeneuve's Dune. There's literally nothing else I'm sort of looking forward or even remotely expecting to come out. Most of the times something gets announced I feel like "oh god..." and I know myself I'm just too lazy to look into more obscure or arty movies even though I'm sure there are good ones there.
BTW, I've never ever ever seen an X-men movie or had any interest in them, seen 3 Marvel movies only that left me completely uninterested but my GF talked me into watching Logan and I quite liked it. Not the biggest masterpiece around but a solid action-thriller.

Thoughts?

Actually, the Force tells Rey, "Ewes' heart drips salivation. Eunich's all freeze. Say 'brrr." Confirmed on BLR.

I would not put anything past what they will try and pull-out for episode IX.

Oh wait! New confirmation! Let's go to Guy Cassanova, our man-on-the-street for details!

Guy : Ohhh, you can feel the excitement crackling like rice crispies having fresh Coke poured on 'em! Here is the actually, sound edited, cleaned ForceQuote.

"Utah has invasion. Yumi has fleece. Satyr."

We will have some Chris Clermont moment, where the inkblot on issue 57 was really a sentient being from another dimension who bails them out. Meanwhile, you shows past videos of fans asking about the ink blot, and Clermont shrugs, "yeah, it's an ink blot. So what?"

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back