Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
I completely agree, up to the SW franchise.

Disney has filled my home with wonderful movies. Collectibles, toys and family fun.

But there are few movies, Disney should just stay away from, LOTR, Aliens, Hobbit, documentaries, GOT's, anything Old World English, Roman Empire, Australian, Irish/Celtic/Scottish, Westerns, Godfather and SW.

They should stick to cartoons and comedy-adventures.

Ok, then so what should we say to the people who spent $4B in ticket sales, who have breathed life back into the toy franchise, families who are dressing up and enjoying Star Wars together? Should I tell them Darth Lee has decided the quality isn't there and we should just shut. It all down? Here's the thing, Star Wars isn't just for you Andre thankfully you didn't get to decide it's fate for the rest of us.

26685115_10214735455324382_8470322374773071808_o.jpg

It's unclear if he was actually offered it or not. Here's an article that runs it down, but that's before they announced he was doing his own trilogy...
https://screenrant.com/star-wars-9-director-jj-abrams-rian-johnson-reject-offer/

Yeah, that's as far as I got.

I wonder how Disney will handle giving him a trilogy now that TLJ has divided the audience. I think it's a foolish move to let him keep it, considering the circumstances. He couldn't make TLJ cohesive or fit in tonally with SW, he's going to do 3 movies that way?

BTW, does anyone know what it means when you've been quoted, but the listing says they are "hidden"?

Yeah, that's as far as I got.

I wonder how Disney will handle giving him a trilogy now that TLJ has divided the audience. I think it's a foolish move to let him keep it, considering the circumstances. He couldn't make TLJ cohesive or fit in tonally with SW, he's going to do 3 movies that way?

BTW, does anyone know what it means when you've been quoted, but the listing says they are "hidden"?

I don’t think they are even remotely giving that decision a second consideration.

In your honest opinion, do you think that Disney has any problems with how TLJ has divided fans?

If the film had financially underperformed, absolutely. They expect these releases to contend for the first spot on the yearly domestic charts and in the top 3 globally. These Saga films, Solo doesn’t have that level of expectations. They knew how this would play with fans if the OT but they made the creative decision to use the OT characters to serve the story of our new hero’s. Had Rian delivered a film that somehow damaged the new characters of Rey, Fin, Poe, and Kylo that would also have set alarm bells off. As it is, people having the most difficulty with Luke aren’t the base these films are catering to.

They knew how this would play with fans if the OT but they made the creative decision to use the OT characters to serve the story of our new hero’s.

What new hero`s?

Kylo is a hero?. A pathetic, whining scum bag who killed his father?.... zero hero.

Finn, bumbling fool?.....zero hero

Rey, Done nothing at all but knock off a few lego red men....zero hero.

Poe.. The only one who is a hero and he has been reduced to a hot head responsible for the deaths of many resistance fighters. zero hero.

ADDITION.

This new trilogy is based on a house of cards anyway. If Lukes lightsaber hadnt "called" out to Rey, there is zero story. Why didnt it "call" out to Luke when it was just a short landspeeder trip away from him in all those years that he was growing up on Tatooine and in the possession of Obi Wan.

Last edited:
Had Rian delivered a film that somehow damaged the new characters of Rey, Fin, Poe, and Kylo that would also have set alarm bells off. As it is, people having the most difficulty with Luke aren’t the base these films are catering to.

He did do exactly that, havent you seen the comments posted in 119 pages here and have you read the script?

I`m sick of hearing that these films have been made for the kids. The MURDER of Han Solo looks like it was written and choreographed straight out of a John Wick movie and the infamous scene of Luke milking the breasts of a sexually gratified space walrus are not suitable for children full stop.

DarthLee, regarding your comments at post 2952, you left out one.

The fact that Kylo had absolutely no problem murdering his father and couldnt go through with killing his mother is a joke. Why is it easier and less significant to murder your father and not your mother? It should be impossible to do either, one is not less important than the other.

- - - Updated - - -

Any comments on the China situation Bryan? They are the SECOND biggest cinema market in the world yes?

Last edited by a moderator:
They knew how this would play with fans if the OT but they made the creative decision to use the OT characters to serve the story of our new hero’s. Had Rian delivered a film that somehow damaged the new characters of Rey, Fin, Poe, and Kylo that would also have set alarm bells off. As it is, people having the most difficulty with Luke aren’t the base these films are catering to.

It's fine to shift to a broader audience - I fit into both the fan and broader audiences - but when you fundamentally change characters who've come before to suit the story you want to tell instead of writing a story that both honors said characters and shifts focus to the new characters, you lose just a little bit of credibility in the eyes of your base.

If the film had financially underperformed, absolutely. They expect these releases to contend for the first spot on the yearly domestic charts and in the top 3 globally. These Saga films, Solo doesn’t have that level of expectations. They knew how this would play with fans if the OT but they made the creative decision to use the OT characters to serve the story of our new hero’s. Had Rian delivered a film that somehow damaged the new characters of Rey, Fin, Poe, and Kylo that would also have set alarm bells off. As it is, people having the most difficulty with Luke aren’t the base these films are catering to.

The reason the film has done so well is because of TFA, before that Star Wars had lost it's way,....now everyone was onboard to see a sequel

The critical response has also helped,...for the general audience,....but the fans are divided, that's not what Disney wants,...they want EVERYONE to love it

There is a risk,...& even more so if the Han Solo film underperforms,....that there will be a major slump for Ep 9....the feeling that folks got walking out of the cinema for TFA wasn't there for half the audience......Disney/LFL needs to sharpen their pencil & think things through

I have no real problem with the treatment of Luke,....it could have been done better,...it's just the lazy plot & lame comedic moments

J

In my opinion, there will be some big changes coming in the future in regards to the whole thing. You can draw a line right now though Solo and Episode NEIN in the worlds second biggest market. Solo would want to be the best Star Wars movie ever made to have an impact in the rest of the world being put right in between Infinity Wars and Deadpool 2.

Of course these changes will be spun to the point where it all appears amicable but they will be made nonetheless.

The reason the film has done so well is because of TFA, before that Star Wars had lost it's way,....now everyone was onboard to see a sequel

That's my problem with it, it's not a sequel. It continues nothing of the story, its a stand alone film in the middle of a trilogy and offers up no real questions or cliffhangers that make me at all interested in ep9.

And the lame humour was lame.

I don't think LFL or Disney even thinks Rian damaged the OT characters. I think many fans might feel the same... of course, there are the vocal minority that are going to hate it and will make nonsensical arguments against it (seriously - ripping off Harry Potter? Where did Artoo get a map? :wacko ); There are plenty of real, solid arguments against the film - and just about any other movie, too. It's okay to not like a movie - there are plenty out there that many like, that I don't; just please = make your arguments better.

I found TLJ to be a superior film over TFA in many ways - and I think history will treat this film well, just as it has ESB.

In my opinion, there will be some big changes coming in the future in regards to the whole thing. You can draw a line right now though Solo and Episode NEIN in the worlds second biggest market. Solo would want to be the best Star Wars movie ever made to have an impact in the rest of the world being put right in between Infinity Wars and Deadpool 2.

Of course these changes will be spun to the point where it all appears amicable but they will be made nonetheless.

As soon as I finished typing this, just found out that Deadpool 2 has been bumped up and will be opening TWO weeks earlier. RIP Solo A Star Wars Story.

The fact that they are trying to spin it as "Luke made a heroic sacrifice to stay out of the way" tells me they do care about that audience.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back